PDA

View Full Version : Scott Speed wins race & wraps up title in Euro F.Renault!

Fio1
09-04-04, 05:02 PM
Californian Scott speed wraped up the 2004 European Formula Renault title in style by winning the second race at Imola! I'm 99% sure that Scott Speed becomes the first American to win a major European open wheel series. GP2 or Super Formula Renault is next for Scotty.

I'm glad people who know something about racing are finally backing one of these driver searches. The Red Bull is the best ever. They picked the right guy in Scott Speed and Colin Fleming (2nd & 3rd in todays races), and more importantly looked past results in Scott's rookie season in F3 last season and kept him around for another year. Some American team owners should learn some leasons from Helmut Marko as well.

Way to go Scotty, on to F1!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :thumbup: :cool:

JT265
09-05-04, 10:22 AM
I'm 99% sure that Scott Speed becomes the first American to win a major European open wheel series.

Seems the 1% you left out would be Phil Hill, 1961.

That said, good on Scotty. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
09-05-04, 11:51 AM
F1 never raced outside of Europe in 1961?

Fio1
09-05-04, 02:11 PM
When I first wrote this post, I said after Mario in 78, then the fact that F1 is a World Championship came to mind.....that includes Phil Hill in 61. At the end of the day, Scott Speed did something no American has done and no one can take that away from him. The guy is super star! :cool:

Hopefully, his life long illness (colitus) will not hamper his chances of making it to F1. Anyone who has ever raced or worked with Scott Speed know how good he is. The kid will go all the way, and will be followed by good friend Colin Fleming to F1!