PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Vasser past and future

Playersfan
09-03-04, 05:26 PM
Jimmy Vasser: Champcars' Iron Man
Jimmy gives his thoughts on his career, the state of Champcar and the future

By Jamie Longmuir
Photos © Jamie Longmuir
MONTREAL, Canada (August 29, 2004) -- In starting his 193rd straight race last weekend in Montreal, Jimmy Vasser broke the record for the most consecutive starts in the Champcar World Series – a record previously held by two-time champion Al Unser Jr. Now in his 13th season of Champcar racing, Jimmy has no shortage of opinions on where Champcar has come from, and where it is going.

Though Jimmy is modest about his ironman-like streak, he recognizes the significance of the feat, saying “It’s a great honour to break a record held by a great Champion like Al Unser Jr. – it’s something I never really dreamed I would accomplish when I started for sure.”

“People started talking about it a few races ago, and it’s made me look back over the years. The cool thing is I’ve been thinking about all of the great times I’ve had, great teammates, and people I’ve met along the way…I think I’ve been fortunate to have a good ride for this long - to stay in the sport, and also that I haven’t gotten injured so bad that I would miss many events...”

While many drivers will admit to having changed their driving style or their way of life as their careers progressed, Jimmy insists he’s pretty much the same person he was when he made his Champcar debut in 1992.

“I don’t think I’ve changed any differently than anybody would from 24 to 38 really – just living your life is a changing experience and certainly, I’m probably a little bit more the wiser, and I know what to expect a little more than I did then. Other than that, I think I’m pretty much the same person.”

Throughout his career, Jimmy has seen his share of highs and lows. Last year, while the CART corporation struggled for survival, he teamed up with American rookie Ryan Hunter-Reay at American Spirit Team Johansson – a team started by former CART and F1 driver Stefan Johansson. Despite a less competitive Reynard chassis, expectations for the new team ran high; however, as the team struggled throughout the season, rumours began to surface that the team was in financial difficulties and might not be able to finish the season. Though they would eventually score a surprise victory in Surfer’s Paradise with Ryan Hunter-Reay, the team would eventually fold during the offseason.

“There were some frustrations with the Reynard, and higher expectations than were probably warranted with the fact that we were with that chassis. I had heard the rumours about the financial situation [and the team not being able to finish the season], but every time I asked about it they said it was hogwash, and they were going to finish the season – and they did. So, once again the rumours were proven wrong.”

“I felt bad for Steff though, he put a lot of effort into the team, and he’s a good friend. I think the theme of the team was fantastic – with myself and Ryan, the appearance, and the marketing was really the best I had seen in all my years in Champcar racing. It was just a shame that the team didn’t continue – the principals weren’t in a position to continue, and there was some squabbling among the owners. I think that was the main reason for the demise of the team.”

American Spirit Team Johansson wasn’t the only casualty of the offseason – with the CART corporation declaring bankruptcy, it was up to team owners Paul Gentilozzi, Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven to pick up the pieces and start a new series to be known as Champcar. Before the 2004 season even began, the series faced the additional setback of losing two top teams to the rival Indy Racing League to join several previous CART defectors such as Team Penske and Ganassi Racing. While there have been calls from both series for some kind of a merger, Jimmy thinks the two series should go their own ways.

“I think both series can survive on their own – they’re going to have to. To me, what they call the IRL is now CART. CART failed under the way the [IRL] runs now… they’re all CART people [in the IRL] and they’re all ex-CART people here… To me, that looks like CART – all of the manufacturers, Penske, Ganassi, and all that – this is a new era, it’s Champcar, not CART anymore, it’s going in a new direction and it’s going to be great!”

While the Champcar World Series has turned to focus more on road and street courses, up to the 2004 season, the rival IRL has been an entirely oval series. When CART drivers began racing in the IRL, it began to bring out comparisons between CART drivers and the original IRL drivers.

“There’s always this discussion – IRL drivers versus CART drivers – give me a break! They’re all CART guys – every one of them, there’s no IRL guys left! All of the best racers were in CART at the beginning of the split and now, all of the best racers are split. A lot of those guys [in the IRL] pounding their chests could hardly win races [when racing Champcars]. [Former CART driver] Tony Kanaan didn’t win a road race – and now I know why he likes to run a lot of ovals, and Tony’s a good friend.”

As the Champcar series moves forward, it will have to make a number of difficult decisions about what new venues the series should visit, and about what older venues need to go. While some venues, such as Road America may be popular with the drivers and local fans, if they are not economically viable, or cannot be promoted properly, they may have to go.

“First and foremost, it has to be economically viable. There are reasons why Elkhart Lake had poor attendance, as did Portland, and we expect to have not great attendance in Laguna Seca. Those places aren’t promoting properly. I think Elkhart Lake promoted properly can come back – how long that will take, I don’t know? It may be on the schedule next year, it may not.”

One new venue Champcar will be visiting later this year is Las Vegas Motor Speedway – a 1.5 mile superspeedway. It will only be the second oval Champcar visits this season, from the 1 mile oval at Milwaukee.

“I think we need a few more ovals – I’ve always loved the mix Champcar has had in the past with the ovals. One oval right now is not enough – I’d like to see four or five ovals on the schedule. 1.5, smaller oval, maybe a superspeedway – 500 mile style. But, I’m not involved in setting the schedule.”

Indeed, although in the old CART series, the team owners had significant influence in the direction of the series, in the new Champcar World Series, it will be the three founders – Kevin Kalkhoven, Paul Gentilozzi, Gerald Forsythe, also known as “the three amigos” that will be making those decisions.

“I think that [the three amigos] are certainly working to their game plan. If you ask anyone in the know in the paddock, they’re well ahead of schedule from where anyone thought they would be seven months ago.”

Nevertheless, seven months ago, while two teams left the series, Jimmy had enough confidence in the three men, to take a partial stake in the PKV Racing team, which is part owned by Kevin Kalkhoven and his longtime business partner Dan Pettit, and become both an owner and a driver.

“It was offered to me from Kevin Kalkhoven and Dan Pettit…and I thought it was a great opportunity – when the time is right, to make the transition out of the car, and still be involved with the race.”

Such a move has made many wonder how much longer the former series champion will be behind the wheel of a 750 HP Champcar, and if he’ll eventually become a full-time team owner in the series. Jimmy; however, isn’t looking that far ahead.

“I’ve never been one to set really long term goals – I’m more of a short term goal guy, and right now it’s just to be the best driver I can be for the team and try to add a little bit of stability from the driver’s seat, some direction and help build this team into a championship team of the future.”

Nevertheless, after 193 consecutive starts, and the future of the Champcar World Series looking brighter after each race weekend, Vasser’s move to get into the team ownership and business side of the sport has no doubt made many fans hopeful Champcar’s iron man will be around for another 193 starts – be it behind the wheel of a Champcar or behind the timing stand of his very own Champcar team.

Great guy that Jimmy.playersfan :) :cool:

MAXAR RE
09-03-04, 05:43 PM
My wife and I love Jeemy! He is and has always been our favorite driver. We just wish the other drivers would finally stop seeing that Target "bullseye" on his car and quite punting him out of races!

Kiwifan
09-04-04, 12:15 AM
Jimmy, I salute you Sir, for your Past and Future. Thanks for keeping the flame going mate, may it never go out for you and Champ car. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rusty.

CARTNUT
09-04-04, 03:41 AM
You have to admire a man who does what he does because he loves it. It's people with a PASSION for this sport, like Jimmy, that are going to take this series to the next level and make it successful in the future.
Thank you, Jimmy, for doing it for us the fans, as well as for yourself!
Here's to 193 more!

GO JEEMY!!! :cool:

'NUT :gomer:

Peter Venkman
09-04-04, 02:37 PM
Jimmy,

If nothing else, your a class guy all the way.

Good luck and stay healthy.

spinner26
09-04-04, 08:45 PM
"SNAKE" (Jimmy) and Alex are by far the best two drivers I ever worked with. Juan was his own character altogether but Alex and Jimmy were by far in a class of their own. They cared about the team, as Jimmy said "there is no I in team but there is in Chip!), they cared about the guys who worked their tails off for them to have quality machines and they took care of the guys for their efforts. Jimmy Vasser has not changed one bit since the first time I met him and I don't believe he ever will. He is the guy CCWS needs to carry forward. Jimmy, thanks for all your dedication and support of the series you love.