PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Road America Raises $18,000

Classic Apex
09-03-04, 01:00 AM
Champ Car World Series (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8313)

INDIANAPOLIS (September 3, 2004) - Although the featured event during the Grand Prix of Road America was the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford, the Tour de Road America made headlines itself as race car drivers, fans, and cyclists raised $18,299 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and cancer survivors.

Approximately four hundred bicyclists, fans, and world class drivers cycled around the historic 4.048-mile road course in the rolling hills of Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin on the eve of the race August 7. Amongst the cyclists were Champ Car drivers Paul Tracy from Forsythe Championship Racing, Oriol Servia from Dale Coyne Racing, Walker Racing's Mario Haberfeld, Alex Tagliani of Rocketsports, RuSPORT stablemates Michel Jourdain Jr. and A.J. Allmendinger, the Newman/Haas duo of Bruno Junqueira and Sebastien Bourdais, along with Herdez' Ryan Hunter-Reay and Mario Dominguez.

Team members, series sponsors, and fans alike joined in on the festivities raising money for the Peloton Project, which is the Lance Armstrong Foundation's major grassroots fundraising and outrace initiative. Contributions were also made by those members of the Champ Car World Series that did not partake in the riding festivities.

A significant part of the funds raised came from a contribution by one of the Champ Car World Series presenting sponsors, Bridgestone Motorsport. "We're honored that Bridgestone Motorsport made this donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation," said co-organizer George Siegle, "and we thank them on behalf of the LAF and cancer survivors."

"It was wonderful to see how everyone came together to help raise money to fight cancer," said Dave Racine, co-organizer. Road America and the Champ Car World Series were instrumental in getting the project from and idea to a reality in a matter of a month.

In support of the event, members of the Whitewater Cycling Team provided help with registration, bike fitting, and ride control. The RuSPORT racing demonstrated their support for the LAF displaying the "LIVESTRONG" livery on the #10 Champ Car of American rookie A.J. Allmendinger.

On top of the money raised during the first running of the Tour de Road America, lots of positive feedback came in as well. "We had so much interest and enthusiasm for the event this year, we think it might be possible to have 1,000 riders next year," said Siegle.

"The Tour de Road America event was great. I had a blast," said Champ Car driver Mario Dominguez. "The fans were amazing and it was so much fun to get to do something like this with them. I hope this becomes a tradition." Dominguez, and has fellow drivers, just might get their wish as the Tour de Road America organizers are already looking forward to 2005.

Everyone involved deserves a massive 'job well done!!!'. :cool:

Warlock!
09-03-04, 07:49 AM
Champ Car World Series (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8313)

Everyone involved deserves a massive 'job well done!!!'. :cool:
Indeed... the main players in this thing worked their asses off that weekend. So much so, they had to put off some of their drinkin' time! (I s'pose it's a good cause, tho ;) )

Waytago, folks...

Warlock!

Steve99
09-03-04, 11:34 AM
Did they ever cover this on Dangerous Curves or the race broadcast itself?

spinner26
09-03-04, 05:04 PM
"A significant part of the funds raised came from a contribution by one of the Champ Car World Series presenting sponsors, Bridgestone Motorsport."

How much of 18g is significant? Were there not as many people as thought there would be or did folks just come out to ride with the drivers and not contribute? I sent a check for $50.00 not a lot but better than nothing I guess.

Amanda B.'s Mom
09-03-04, 05:16 PM
There was a registration fee of, I think $50.00, to ride if you did not have a weekend ticket for the race. Price was $25.00 with a ticket. There were also a significant amount of armband sales. I know there were a lot of people scrambling for bicycles that weekend. Unfortunately there are not many places in the Sheboygan area that rent bicycles, and they sold out quickly. Some people had their personal bicycles delivered to the track as well. The projected number of 1000 riders for next year could easikly be surpassed, if this years support for the event continues.

I too, would be interested in a break-down of contributions.

TravelGal
09-03-04, 06:17 PM
Congrats to all concerned!!! As to the breakdown, I know there is always the curiosity factor but, really, I don't think it's anybody's beeswax. I see it like asking someone who they voted for or how much they make. In the long run, we might be just as well off not knowing.

Amanda B.'s Mom
09-03-04, 06:25 PM
I wasn;t interested in that many specifics. Just total number of armband sales and a final count on riders who contributed.

400 riders (which was the last estimate I saw) @ $50.00 each would equal $20,000. At $25.00 it would be $10,000. Somehow the numbers seem a little confusing to me.

Sean O'Gorman
09-03-04, 07:15 PM
50x+25y=18,299

x+y=400

Okay, who wants to figure it out from here? :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
09-03-04, 07:22 PM
According to that, 332 people paid the $50, and 68 people paid $25. Of course, if my math grades in the past are any indication, those figures should only be about 75% accurate. :rofl:

Amanda B.'s Mom
09-03-04, 09:33 PM
Sean,

In addition to your figures there is the "major contribution" from bridgestone, as well as other contributions from nonriders.

Sean O'Gorman
09-03-04, 09:54 PM
All that hard work, and then someone tells me about all these factors in the problem that weren't mentioned in the problem. It is like 11th grade algebra all over again!!!! :)

Amanda B.'s Mom
09-03-04, 10:55 PM
Sean,

I think you are beyond HS Algebra ;)

spinner26
09-04-04, 06:24 PM
Something tells me there is IRL math going on here.

It just seems to me there would not be a big secret if it's donations going to a worthy cause. Maybe the article should not have used a tease rather a statement of ... there was x amount contributed by the fans / riders / donations and a series sponsor contributed an undisclosed amount period. No total amount.

rocket
09-05-04, 09:25 PM

That's a bull**** statement. Alot of folks I know worked their asses off that weekend and saw very little on track activity.

Makes no difference. From what I understand it wasn't anything like 1/2 of the amount. I think I heard 2K or so, and I don't think you got on the track unless you made at least a $25 donation. Like you I made a dontion, but didn't ride, as I'm sure many other folks did.

FCYTravis
09-05-04, 10:57 PM
"IRL math"? :shakehead

That's uncalled for, comparing a great cause like this to anything related to that half-assed pathetic excuse for a "racing" series.

C'mon. It's not that hard to figure it out, and I hate math.

400 riders. Assume half the riders paid $50 (200x50=10,000) and half paid $25 (200x25=5,000). That's $15,000. "Substantial" donation from Bridgestone ~ $2,500.

Now you're at $17,500... that leaves just over $750 to be donated by people who didn't ride and "fudge factor" to get to $18,299.

No "IRL math" - just a lot of people making generous donations to a worthy cause.

RaceChic
09-06-04, 05:40 AM

It just seems to me there would not be a big secret if it's donations going to a worthy cause. Maybe the article should not have used a tease rather a statement of ... there was x amount contributed by the fans / riders / donations and a series sponsor contributed an undisclosed amount period. No total amount.

IRL math??!!?

I didn't conceptualize this terrific event, but I was one of the people that spent the entire weekend working it.

Keeping in mind that I did not tally the final numbers, but as I was working the booth, I was taking in the money.

We had people donate extra above and beyond their required registration fees of $25.00. We also had many people within the racing industry (many of which you would recognize) donate just for the sake of donating. There were also many terrific items donated by teams and drivers that were put up for silent auction. Because of their generosity, we were able to generate extra money for The Lance Armstrong Foundation. :)

Most of the volunteers that worked the booth, myself included, didn't see a car turn a wheel all weekend until the race just started on the Sunday. Not to mention we just finished tearing the booth down 15 minutes prior to that.

Nobody made any money that weekend. All of our needs, such as vinyl graphics, paperwork needed, etc were made possible through donations from our friends at YFDS. Because of them, we were able to donate 100% of the monies collected. We owe them a big thank-you!!!

Did you actually expect a play-by-play financial breakdown in an editorial? This is journalism. Not accounting. :shakehead

I'm a little stunned as to the direction this thread has taken. :confused:

JT265
09-06-04, 08:29 AM
I'm a little stunned as to the direction this thread has taken. :confused:

WHAT?!?!?!? You looking at me?!?!?!?!?

Hell, I paid, and unless it has a bigassed motor, I ain't ridin' either.

:D

spinner26
09-06-04, 03:43 PM
Sorry my question raised so much hub bub. Didn't mean to offend anyone. I am thankful that there are people out there who will contribute their time and energy to helping such a great cause. I just thought I'd see what Bridgestone contributed. Guess I'll mind my own bixwax next time.

rocket
09-07-04, 04:45 AM
No problem with the question...it was just the "irl math" comment that I had a problem with, as well as others.

Amanda B.'s Mom
09-08-04, 11:13 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone with my question :( It was not ment that way. I feel this was a wonderful event for a great cause. I can appreciate the many hours everyone involved put in to insure its success. I asked the question because I had people asking me why the amouint of money raised was so "low" (their words not mine), if there were 400 riders who each paid a registration fee of at least $25.00, contributions from a lot of poeple who didn;t ride, wristband sales, and several "major" contributions. I personally thought the event was a huge success.

I was one of those who contributed, but did not ride or attend the event, due to a "family emergency" the night before the ride.

FRANKY
09-09-04, 01:45 AM
Congrats on the job well done.

As far as the whining about the math :saywhat:

RaceChic
09-09-04, 11:50 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone with my question :( It was not ment that way.

No. You didn't offend me. I appreciate you saying this. :thumbup:

It was the "IRL math" comment that rubbed me the wrong way. We all dislike the IRL and have a thorn in our side where some of Tony George's (at times) less than ethical methods towards Champ Car with the intent to destroy us. :mad:

I was one of those who contributed, but did not ride or attend the event, due to a "family emergency" the night before the ride.

I'm very sorry to hear this.

I hope all is well now. :)

JT265
09-09-04, 11:50 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone with my question :( It was not ment that way. I feel this was a wonderful event for a great cause. I can appreciate the many hours everyone involved put in to insure its success. I asked the question because I had people asking me why the amouint of money raised was so "low" (their words not mine), if there were 400 riders who each paid a registration fee of at least $25.00, contributions from a lot of poeple who didn;t ride, wristband sales, and several "major" contributions. I personally thought the event was a huge success.

You never offended anyone ABM. I think it was Spinners earlmath comment that offended.

Also, I know that a lot of us contributed thru the website link, so my WAG is that these funds weren't tallied with the track stuff either.

I wish you guys all the best.

RaceChic
09-09-04, 11:51 AM
^^^ Stop stalking me. ^^^ :saywhat:

:rofl:

JT265
09-09-04, 12:03 PM
^^^ Stop stalking me. ^^^ :saywhat:

:rofl:

:saywhat: ???

Moderator???? Moderator????

anyone???