PDA

View Full Version : Hold on to your hats and glasses!

RacinM3
09-02-04, 12:42 PM
Frances:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

Winston Wolfe
09-02-04, 12:49 PM
saw that on the news this AM, where they super-imposed a picture of the state of Texas..... and it EASILY fit inside the size of that hurricane !!!!

DOH ! :eek:

I have a business meeting to attend in Orlando, during the week of Sept 20th.... and am wondering if there will be anything remaining by the time I get there .....

devilmaster
09-02-04, 12:51 PM
Does OC or the other forums have members hit by Charly or waiting for Frances?

Hunker down guys, be well.

Steve

RichK
09-02-04, 12:54 PM
I just read that about 1 million people were told to get the hell out.

Wheel-Nut
09-02-04, 01:07 PM
That's one big mofo. Living on the Gulf coast or any coastal region its just part of the territory. You do what you can to secure things and move to higher ground. Good luck Florida.

I'll take my hurricanes and humidity over earthquakes and volcanoes anyday!!

The Doctor
09-02-04, 09:02 PM
Does OC or the other forums have members hit by Charly or waiting for Frances?

Hunker down guys, be well.

Steve

Was hit by Charley. Waiting for Frances. Live just a little south of Orlando. I think this means more time off from work. Good and bad, in a way. Got all the plywood cut today, will put it up tomorrow. Lots of rain coming this way. Probably 10-15" of rain. Forecasters saying right now Frances could slow down even more as it gets closer, meaning more rain. Eye maybe will strike Vero Beach, then it'll skirt through Central Florida in one of two ways: either in a kind of WNW pattern a little south of Orlando and then exit about 60 or so miles north of Tampa and then head for the Panhandle, or it'll go NW through Orlando and up the Florida Turnpike basically and then head for the Big Bend and some of the Panhandle. Winds in these parts should be about 80-90 mph, so not that bad. It'll knock down a lot more trees than Charley did. Which is a shame, especially considering I just got all of our debris removed this week from Charley. Oh well, more work out in the yard. We'll just see how things go.

nz_climber
09-02-04, 10:06 PM
Was hit by Charley. Waiting for Frances. Live just a little south of Orlando. I think this means more time off from work. Good and bad, in a way. Got all the plywood cut today, will put it up tomorrow. Lots of rain coming this way. Probably 10-15" of rain. Forecasters saying right now Frances could slow down even more as it gets closer, meaning more rain. Eye maybe will strike Vero Beach, then it'll skirt through Central Florida in one of two ways: either in a kind of WNW pattern a little south of Orlando and then exit about 60 or so miles north of Tampa and then head for the Panhandle, or it'll go NW through Orlando and up the Florida Turnpike basically and then head for the Big Bend and some of the Panhandle. Winds in these parts should be about 80-90 mph, so not that bad. It'll knock down a lot more trees than Charley did. Which is a shame, especially considering I just got all of our debris removed this week from Charley. Oh well, more work out in the yard. We'll just see how things go.

Hope things are ok Doc - be safe

B3RACER1a
09-02-04, 10:34 PM
:gomer:

Lizzerd
09-03-04, 01:32 AM
Damn... that thing is massive God Speed Florida and all states north...

Clown
09-03-04, 02:04 AM
B3RACER1: Dood, its probably a good idea to link a 2000x2000pixel image for the sake of the 56k weenies :gomer:

Ankf00
09-03-04, 02:24 AM
no need for flight hardware designers when you have no shuttle fleet to utilize the flight hardware with...

morons at Kennedy Space Center never put together a contingency plan for a good sized hurricane, the hangers are only fortified for 110-120mph winds, gee, we're in Florida, no need to plan for big storms :rolleyes: , no plans to piggyback shuttles out of there either, cuz naturally, they're idjits.

B3RACER1a
09-03-04, 12:34 PM
http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/members/images/108146.jpg

The Doctor
09-03-04, 12:42 PM
Cue REM.

Really won't be that bad, though. Although my definition of bad and hurricanes is somewhat skewed when it comes to hurricanes after having lived here in Florida for the past fifteen years. Hoping for the best though, waiting for all the wind and rain. Hoping no tornadoes come through.

JLMannin
09-03-04, 12:46 PM
Great. My homeowners's insurance will probably go up by 50% again.

Stop building houses on freakin' sandbars!!!

B3RACER1a
09-03-04, 01:07 PM
Winds are down to 115mph. Looks like the eye is scewed now, and the pressure has gone up a bit. Lets hope it keeps weakening before landfall, even though there is lots of warm water to travel over still.

The Doctor
09-03-04, 04:08 PM
Great. My homeowners's insurance will probably go up by 50% again.

Stop building houses on freakin' sandbars!!!

Stop letting people build houses in a place called "Tornado Alley." Stop letting people build houses where they have earthquakes all the time. Stop letting people build houses in any place where there's ever a chance of any natural disaster possibly causing damage. Oh wait.

Ankf00
09-03-04, 04:12 PM
"The Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral was closed, and NASA said that for the first time, not even an emergency team had been left behind. Officials said the forecasted winds were too powerful. Even the most important structures, including the shuttle launch pads, are not designed to withstand winds higher than 114 miles per hour and gusts of up to 125 m.p.h.

The three space shuttles, worth more than $2 billion each, are in hangars designed to survive 105 m.p.h. winds. As a precaution in case of flooding, technicians raised the shuttles' landing gear off the floor."

105 mph... they were reaaaaally thinking ahead of the curve ;)

RichK
09-03-04, 04:18 PM
As a precaution in case of flooding, technicians raised the shuttles' landing gear off the floor."

In other news, massive damage to the shuttle fleet was sustained when technicians failed to realize that raising the landing gear while stationary would cause the shuttles to drop to the ground.

G.
09-03-04, 05:25 PM
In other news, massive damage to the shuttle fleet was sustained when technicians failed to realize that raising the landing gear while stationary would cause the shuttles to drop to the ground. :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: