PDA

View Full Version : Dario Back To ChampCar?

JoeBob
09-01-04, 05:28 PM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1093903811758
This is from Bob Singleton, of Molson Indy Fame:

We know Tag (Alex Tagliani) is committed to Rocketsports. I hear people are talking to Dario (Franchitti) about coming back to this series (from the IRL) and we know (Cristiano) da Matta is coming back (from F1 to drive a third Newman/Haas car).

Is Dario really looking at coming back? Who would hire him? Is this just an annual silly season fantasy rumor (like the annual Jos Verstappen and an unnamed German driver rumors)?

Lito
09-01-04, 05:34 PM
We know Tag (Alex Tagliani) is committed to Rocketsports

Well, now PT finally met Tag, after Tag's RA win, he knows who he is ;)

BTW, the king of the year after year rumours is the Johnny Herbert one. :D

FTG
09-01-04, 05:36 PM
Dario is smart enough to hate the crapwagons, but doesn't have enough integrity to accept a pay decrease.

I expect him to look at Champ Car, then take the Yen in the end. But who knows. There should be a little bit more money floating around next year and maybe another year of circle jerking has made Dario's salary demands more flexible.

Turn7
09-01-04, 06:09 PM
Dario and Herbert are going to be driving for Paul Cherry next season :D .

pinniped
09-01-04, 06:12 PM
Is that the rumored Prince Malik Ado Ibrahim entry too?

rabbit
09-01-04, 06:30 PM
From the article:

The one name driver Champ Car could lose to the IRL is Patrick Carpentier. He's giving serious consideration to an offer from an IRL team. He wouldn't reveal its name.

"I have to decide before the Laguna Seca race (Sept. 12)," said Carpentier, whose contract with Forsythe Racing ends at the end of this season. He said while he's talking with Forsythe, the offer from the other side is attractive.

"Here I have to bring a sponsor," he said. "Over there I'll be getting paid a lot of money by the team. What it'll come down to is the conditions and the salary. I'd be lying if I said `no, no, the money's not important.''' At least he's not feeding us a bunch of "That's where my sponsors want to be" BS. :thumbup: I hope someone steps up and keeps him in the series. As a huge Carpentier fan, I'll never badmouth him if he leaves. But I won't watch the EARL just to see him. :thumdown:

FCYTravis
09-01-04, 06:55 PM
Given that Dashley is making a stage appearance with FTG to announce their spectacular and ground-breaking street race in St. Pete, I doubt he's looking to turn down the yen being shoveled in his face.

guido
09-01-04, 07:27 PM
Who cares? Maybe Ashley, I hope Dario stays where he is and maybe takes Guy Smith with him. I want to see Memo, Fogarty, Dalziel, Ranger, Valenti. What does Dario bring to the "sold out" IRL, about 12 people who want to meet his sister-in-law?

Wally
09-01-04, 07:43 PM
Mr. Judd is just posturing Honda for more yen, and they will pay.

If for no other reason it would mean a return to living hell for pit and paddock officials since DF's other half has her own set of rules at the track you know, she is so special!! :shakehead

Naa, bring on a hungry kid.

TravelGal
09-01-04, 07:46 PM
Dario who? :gomer:

He's gone; Keep him away.

Spicoli
09-01-04, 07:57 PM
Dario is a ****ing moron. burn in hell you basatard traitor son of a bitch *******. :flame:

Suck Yen you dickhead.

Railbird
09-01-04, 08:04 PM
Dario is making the Honda bucks a couple years removed from being a front runner so I wouldn't look for him to be changing anything.

And why would anyone care?

There's a lot more interesting prospects out there than a slightly aged pretty boy who couldn't quite get over the hump.

Cmndr Keen
09-01-04, 08:46 PM
Stop the madness. No more hoping against hope over ex-cart drivers gone earling.... ever forward.

lone_groover
09-01-04, 09:21 PM
I hope Bert stays in the I*L. He made his bed; and speaking of beds, I'm not going to say anything bad about the poor guy. I don't know how to say CORNUTO in Scottish anyway.

:cry:

Methanolandbrats
09-01-04, 09:22 PM
Stop the madness. No more hoping against hope over ex-cart drivers gone earling.... ever forward. Yes, march forward and hire young quick drivers who love Champcars. Screw the old whores.

Clown
09-01-04, 11:08 PM
Dashley WGAF? :gomer:

Let him stay in the circle league with the rest of his sellout mates :rolleyes:

RaceGrrl
09-01-04, 11:34 PM
And why would anyone care?

There's a lot more interesting prospects out there than a slightly aged pretty boy who couldn't quite get over the hump.

Spot on, 'bird. Who cares about Dario when we've got 'Dinger?

devilmaster
09-02-04, 03:21 AM
Let me just add to the list of people who say forget Dario.

If he really truly wanted to be back in champcar, he could own his own team with Ashley, considering how much money she makes. On top of that, an endorsement deal where Ashley does commercials for a sidepod sponsor is possible enough to make them owning a team realisticly possible.

Steve

Chief
09-02-04, 03:58 AM
The unibrow sucks, they can keep him. He's a has been in my book.

Clown
09-02-04, 05:33 AM
Although, It would be funny to see Dashley trying to turn right, and use the brakes/gears. He'd make an idiot of himself :laugh:

Robstar
09-02-04, 05:47 AM
Although, It would be funny to see Dashley trying to turn right, and use the brakes/gears. He'd make an idiot of himself :laugh:

What, bad to worse idiot ? :laugh:

:rolleyes: Bless him, at least he knows that twIRLing isn't a great career path, so better start giving Hollywood a nudge... ;)

tomahawk
09-02-04, 07:22 AM
Wow!...a lot of Dario haters out there!

I hate the IRL more than my disappointment in his bailing on ChampCar. I way I see that, he's still one on of the more popular drivers over in the IRL...and the IRL is weaker without him than with him so...I hope he comes back, along with Helio and rest of them (though one can't blame guys like Herta and Barron who tried and tried to get a ChampCar ride - a guy's gotta eat).

With the IRL adding some road courses, I don't expect Dario will leave...

Let Dario come back...so PT, SeaBass and AJ can kick his butt!

:tomahawk

Robstar
09-02-04, 07:34 AM
Wow!...a lot of Dario haters out there!

To be honest tomahawk, I like Dario... I'd welcome him back... I'll add that he's the lesser of a whole bunch of evils... but I seriously used to root for him, & still will if he makes the right decision sooner rather then later... :)

cart7
09-02-04, 07:57 AM
Tied for the Championship with JPM but lost it on wins. Crashed in practice at Homestead and hasn't been the same as a racer since. About the only thing he brings to the table is his spouse and frankly, I'm not sure she would really bring that much visibility to the series as a couple of rising American racers from Atlantics would.

I couldn't care less if he comes back or not. Seems to me he got real whiney at the end of 2002.

RTKar
09-02-04, 08:26 AM
I certainly don't like the whining nor the rhetoric directed against Champcar, however he's a driver with a good resume. His "defection" back to Champcar would make for good copy. I'd love to hear what he had to say about the irl. His coming back would hopefully be the beginning of a trend...follow your heart, not your wallet....

mueber
09-02-04, 08:31 AM
Finally, folks seem to have gotten it--Move Forward, forget the past. :thumbup:

How long did that take? :)

Clown
09-02-04, 09:49 AM
Wow!...a lot of Dario haters out there!I don't hate Dario. I hate people who have so little passion for our sport, so little depth of character, such a lack of conviction, that their allegiance becomes nothing but a fog redirected by the winds of finance.
It has nothing to with me. He chooses to be my enemy.
My karma is sound; Let him sleep on his mattress of Yen.....

Ankf00
09-02-04, 09:56 AM
what's a dario? :confused:

Don Quixote
09-02-04, 10:00 AM
Ok folks, its time to turn the page. DF would bring nothing of interest to champcar.

nrc
09-02-04, 10:27 AM
Plenty of other drivers I'd rather see. There's always Dalziel and Danica if we need drivers who wear skirts. Still, I'd take him over hind end of the current field any day.

racer2c
09-02-04, 10:37 AM
I mirror Spicoli's eloquent sentiments, but on the other hand, anything that helps the momentum turn from the IRL in the eyes of the media is fine with me.

pchall
09-02-04, 10:43 AM
What does Dario bring to the "sold out" IRL, about 12 people who want to meet his sister-in-law?

LOL. That would be desperate.

Chiphead_Dave
09-02-04, 11:11 AM

A pleasure device used by Actresses.

Skater_36
09-02-04, 12:40 PM
Finally, folks seem to have gotten it--Move Forward, forget the past. :thumbup:

How long did that take? :)

I agree, the people that moved to the IRL are the lowest common denominator, people in it for the money. Those same people will follow the money elsewhere if a better offer is made. A series can not be built using people like that for a foundation, CCWS needs commitment, compassion and brains from it's drivers to survive in the current racing environment.

Time to give some hungry drivers a shot.

CART_Surfer
09-03-04, 08:48 PM
I for one was very dissappointed when Dario left, but since then the Dingers, the See-Bass's, the Hunter-Reay's and the Wilson's have more than filled that void.....not to mention the stepping up to the grade from the Junky's, the Tagliani's, the Dominguez's, the Servia's and the Jourdain jnr's.
Remember we still have a few of the old guard with PT, Jimmy and Carps.
All of these guys are the future of the Champcar series, lets keep any money that was to be used in an attempt to lure Dario back from the circus for retaining these loyal guys!!!!!

FanofMario
09-04-04, 12:08 AM
Dario is a ****ing moron. burn in hell you basatard traitor son of a bitch *******. :flame:

Suck Yen you dickhead.

What he said!

sundaydriver2
09-04-04, 01:13 AM
When anybody in life does something for the money, you get a predicable result. When somebody does something for the pure love, you get something completely extraordinary.

Peter Venkman
09-04-04, 02:41 PM

Suck Yen you dickhead.

The Bard would be proud of the way you've captured so much in so few words.

JT265
09-04-04, 03:22 PM

Sadly, that would be the unibrowed frowner that realized two things.

1). Any promise of a proper racing career has done blowed by as quick as Mumbles changing visions, and....

2). Yet again, come down home Sunday family dinner time, he was beaten to the sideboard where the buffet spread was laid out by his bulked up sis-in-law, relegating him to crawling around 16th Ave. in his HonDUH Element (that is a perk for sucking the yen, right?) looking for a Huddle House or a Shoneys late night deal where he can get some biscuits and gravy.

With a side of grits.

fourrunner
09-04-04, 03:43 PM
I've never really understood the infatuation with Dario ... He is a creepy little **** at the track ... If he could pee on the fans without showing his "shortcomings" he would ... he's married to a first class bitch on wheels who would poison the paddock anywhere she went. I've seen her give dirty looks to kids who dared to ask her for an autograph and just brush them off only to just stand around doing nothing .

As a swap for Carpentier - we lose

Carp for all his demented thinking of late, has a likable personality ... talent wise they're about equal ....

Aren't both of them getting long in the tooth for any long term expectations for Champ Cars ... certainly heading quickly to the downside of there careers

Lets go after the Andrew Rangers of the World .... Long term possiblilities are good, plus a cool, marketable name!! ;)

nrc
09-04-04, 04:22 PM
Carp for all his demented thinking of late, has a likable personality ... talent wise they're about equal ....

Aren't both of them getting long in the tooth for any long term expectations for Champ Cars ... certainly heading quickly to the downside of there careers

10 wins in 114 starts for Dario compared to 4 in 136 for Carp argues against them being "about equal". Fewer wins, fewer poles, fewer podiums, more starts - that's a pretty broad definitioin of "about."

I do agree that they're both past prime and Champ car owners would do better looking to Fogarty, Valiante or Dalziel. Ranger is still a bit raw and needs another season on the ladder.

fourrunner
09-04-04, 05:01 PM
10 wins in 114 starts for Dario compared to 4 in 136 for Carp argues against them being "about equal". Fewer wins, fewer poles, fewer podiums, more starts - that's a pretty broad definitioin of "about."

I do agree that they're both past prime and Champ car owners would do better looking to Fogarty, Valiante or Dalziel. Ranger is still a bit raw and needs another season on the ladder.

I didn't do my research !

Bye Patrick, don't let the door hit you in the ass ;)

But once that door closes, keep Dario out and let the New revitalized Champ Car work on these new young "future" stars !

My point, though not clearly defined, is we definitely have a sentimental side when it comes to drivers, and it blinds us.

Sure it will take a few years to develop these new drivers, but we're technically a New series so now the time to let them grow with us!

RaceGrrl
09-04-04, 11:33 PM
I definitely don't want Carpentier going to the IRL. It's a foot in the door to Canadian races. The Canadian racefans I know are very savvy, but Honda has the bucks to spend, and who knows how dangerous that could be for ChampCar in terms of Canadian venues.

RHR_Fan
09-05-04, 12:00 AM
Lets go after the Andrew Rangers of the World .... Long term possiblilities are good, plus a cool, marketable name!! ;)

I so agree with you, but he needs another year in Atlantics first.

~Nicole

PS--> Good luck to Ranger for winning TA Rookie-of-the-Year! :D

Lizzerd
09-05-04, 01:01 AM
I definitely don't want Carpentier going to the IRL. It's a foot in the door to Canadian races. The Canadian racefans I know are very savvy, but Honda has the bucks to spend, and who knows how dangerous that could be for ChampCar in terms of Canadian venues.

I hear ya, Grrl.

Think of the Mexican fans that we all thought were also so savvy. FAdrian makes an 11th hour defection to the Dark Side, and now we hear that he has set up an office for FTG. He has some sort of control over Mexican television, and Champ Car isn't shown on Azteca any more, if anywhere at all. There are rumblings that FTG is trying to steal one if not both of the Mexican Champ Car venues. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, anybody. I relying on a beer fogged memory at the moment.

I seriously doubt that Patrick would do anything close north of our border to what that rat bastard did south of our border, but you are right, we cannot deny the power of the Yen.

Apparently, considering FAF's antics, we cannot rely on the percieved loyalty to our series based solely on the nationality of the fan.

I hope I'm wrong if Patrick decides to go circle jerking.

JT265
09-05-04, 08:24 AM
I hear ya, Grrl.

Think of the Mexican fans that we all thought were also so savvy. FAdrian makes an 11th hour defection to the Dark Side, and now we hear that he has set up an office for FTG. He has some sort of control over Mexican television, and Champ Car isn't shown on Azteca any more, if anywhere at all. There are rumblings that FTG is trying to steal one if not both of the Mexican Champ Car venues. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, anybody. I relying on a beer fogged memory at the moment.

I seriously doubt that Patrick would do anything close north of our border to what that rat bastard did south of our border, but you are right, we cannot deny the power of the Yen.

Apparently, considering FAF's antics, we cannot rely on the percieved loyalty to our series based solely on the nationality of the fan.

I hope I'm wrong if Patrick decides to go circle jerking.

I'd aim my weary guns more at LaBrosse than Patreek. I know Pat would rather stay in CC that go earling, but money and managers talk. Should it happen, I could see Montreal become the "Honda presents the earlfest 2005, complete with backflips" with LaBrosse running the show and Molson dropping out as a sponsor.

And as long as JF promotes the Mexican races, don't lookfor earl anytime soon. I also think there is more to this Nascar to Mexico City deal that Jerry has going on than meets the eye. I'm looking for it to be a good kinda more.

RaceGrrl
09-05-04, 10:02 AM
I'd aim my weary guns more at LaBrosse than Patreek. I know Pat would rather stay in CC that go earling, but money and managers talk. Should it happen, I could see Montreal become the "Honda presents the earlfest 2005, complete with backflips" with LaBrosse running the show and Molson dropping out as a sponsor.

And as long as JF promotes the Mexican races, don't lookfor earl anytime soon. I also think there is more to this Nascar to Mexico City deal that Jerry has going on than meets the eye. I'm looking for it to be a good kinda more.

It is true that Pat is getting older, I'd just like to see a newbie Canuck in CCWS before he totters off into retirement in the IRL.

I don't have as many concerns about Mexico, simply because Forsythe IS involved.

JT265
09-05-04, 10:19 AM
Think Michael Valiente. And for the Quebecois, Andrew Ranger.

Does Ranger (which I found out last weekend is pronounced Ron-Jay, for the Quebecois) need another year in TAC?

Likely. On the other hand, he'd run the wheels of off Mr. "I EARNED my way to ChampCar via my daddies checkbook" Fabio, and Lavin, while he doesn't pass the good Russkie Doctors muster ;), has shown more speed surprisingly in Champ than he ever did in the various feeder series.

In the end, appeal to the French crowd and earl in Canada is a non-starter. Bob Singleton and the rest of Canada isn't buying the earl vision anytime soon.

RaceGrrl
09-05-04, 03:53 PM
I am thinking Valiente and Ranger, but I hope one of the teams is as well. I guess my point is that I'm not taking anything for granted, including the races outside the US.

RHR_Fan
09-05-04, 04:13 PM
Plus Ranger might also appeal to a younger crowd since he's 17. He certainly appeals to me! :D

Oh stories to tell...

~Nicole

clutch
09-06-04, 10:26 PM
Sellers will be a good one too.

As for FranKitty, WGAF!! He's a whiner that publicly complained about conditions not being suitable and too dangerous at Laguna Seca (a year after the improvements in the corkscrew), and now he will willingly race at the Glen and Infineon without even a wimper to his pimp FTG about the dangers of driving pointy nosed Armco piercing missiles at these outdated tracks.

I like Carp and he has to do what he has to do. He's being pretty up front about it, and hope things work out for him. and he didn't complain about Laguna even after he pole vaulted the fence!! He has always been fearless and is always publicly in favor of making the cars faster on any given circuit.

RHR_Fan
09-06-04, 10:30 PM
Sellers is awesome! What stinks is that I like so many of the ladder series guys is that I know that all of them won't be able to step it up to Champ Car. Would I like to see them all? You bet I would.

~Nicole

Ed_Severson
09-06-04, 10:46 PM
His coming back would hopefully be the beginning of a trend...follow your heart, not your wallet....

Don't count on that anytime soon. Most of those guys don't have hearts to follow.

RTKar
09-07-04, 06:49 AM
Don't count on that anytime soon. Most of those guys don't have hearts to follow.

I know......but I'd love to see how the earl would spin mass defection from its' series.

Hard Driver
09-10-04, 01:24 PM
I would welcome Dario back. Especially if Ashley starts attending races again. ;)

oddlycalm
09-11-04, 06:01 PM
publicly complained about conditions not being suitable and too dangerous at Laguna Seca (a year after the improvements in the corkscrew), and now he will willingly race at the Glen and Infineon without even a wimper

Exactly right. That's the beginning, middle and end of the story for me when it comes to DF. Mr. Safety Concern can be bought off for unremarkable money.

oc

pkvracing12
09-11-04, 08:38 PM

Suck Yen you dickhead.
RIGHT ON!!!! who needs that whinning bitch to comeback to champcar and screw the rest of them! that traded us becuase they though tony george is god F##k IRL :flame: LONG LIVE CHAMPCAR :)

Railbird
09-11-04, 08:43 PM
I can't believe this thread still has a life,

Dario was a bad ass when?

Four/five years ago?

Ever since he whacked the fence and came to terms with reality his main sponsor attraction has been a wife talented enough to attract roles that don't require thin arms.

Without Ashley the "Whop with a Scottish brog" would be in the Grand Am.