PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy Wings

oddlycalm
09-01-04, 01:15 PM
With race season going strong and football season arriving, here's the best wing recipe I've ever come across. It's from the nice folks over at Dizzy Pig who got the bones of it from one of their customers. I use drumettes instead of whole wings to get more on the grill at one time and the 6lb. pack from Costco works right for 5-6 people. Blue cheese dressing and mango peach salsa are the two favorite dipping sauces with our outfit. These wings are a cross between the best fried chicken you've ever eaten and Buffalo wings. :thumbup:

Here's the recipe on Chris' site. We use their Swamp Venom rub when we make them to achieve the right level of heat and a little apple wood for smoke. Any leftovers nuke up great for Monday lunch.
Dizzy Pig crunchy wings (http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html)

pinniped
09-01-04, 04:31 PM
Dizzy Pig Crunchy Wings? For a minute I thought this was another thread about Dario's wife! :gomer:

RichK
09-01-04, 04:58 PM
Wow, those look really good. I'll try them out and report back!

Ankf00
09-01-04, 05:50 PM
perfect, football on saturday :D

RTKar
09-01-04, 06:30 PM
"Well, the Twisted Spoke makes a Buffalo Chicken sandwich that's more or less like Heroin. The best of both worlds."

Where's the Twisted Spoke?

nz_climber
09-01-04, 07:17 PM
"Well, the Twisted Spoke makes a Buffalo Chicken sandwich that's more or less like Heroin. The best of both worlds."

they inject the sandwich straight into your veins ??
:saywhat: :gomer:

pfc_m_drake
09-01-04, 09:47 PM
Those are not chicken wings. They may be good, but they're definitely not wings.

Incidentally, there are two chicken wing factions in Buffalo. You're either in the Anchor Bar camp, or the Duff's camp. The Anchor Bar is where allegedly invented (http://www.anchorbar.com/), but IMHO Duff's has the better wings.

Hard to go wrong at either establishment though.

dando
09-01-04, 10:06 PM
they inject the sandwich straight into your veins ??
:saywhat: :gomer:
Think AJ. ;)

-Kevin

nrc
09-01-04, 10:12 PM
I never understood the slimey wing thing. :saywhat:

Nosuchsoul
09-01-04, 10:31 PM
I thought at first that you had an idea to re-enforce the CART wings on the car, but a recipe is even better! Thanks!

dando
09-02-04, 12:39 PM
I never understood the slimey wing thing. :saywhat:
Wings from BWs and Roosters aren't slimy (IMO), they're just sauced (they're actually quite crispy right out of the fryer). Like BBQ, it's a preference. Saucing in Texas is a cardinal sin, but in NC it's a must have. I like the heat :flame: so sauce is a must. :)

-Kevin

oddlycalm
09-02-04, 05:01 PM
Like BBQ, it's a preference. Saucing in Texas is a cardinal sin, but in NC it's a must have. I like the heat :flame: so sauce is a must. :)

Exactly, same with sauce. Most people in the US think that ketchup based Kansas City style sauce is the only kind of BBQ sauce as well. They have never tried Eastern North Carolina vinegar sauce, Western Carolina Piedmont style, Georgia mustard sauce. In Texas I've seen folks take the meat juices out of the drip pan with a little cayenne mixed in. As the saying goes, it's all good. :thumbup:

oc

Ankf00
09-02-04, 07:45 PM
some days you need sauce, some days you need no sauce, some days, you need ranch. :cool:

TKGAngel
09-02-04, 07:53 PM
Those are not chicken wings. They may be good, but they're definitely not wings.

Incidentally, there are two chicken wing factions in Buffalo. You're either in the Anchor Bar camp, or the Duff's camp. The Anchor Bar is where allegedly invented (http://www.anchorbar.com/), but IMHO Duff's has the better wings.

Hard to go wrong at either establishment though.

Sad to say, I've lived in the B-lo for all of my 23 years and never had wings from either the Anchor Bar or Duffs. And I even went to college down the street from the Anchor Bar. I've had LaNova's--those are some good wings.

Oh well, I suppose that's why there's the Buffalo Wing Fest (http://www.buffalowing.com/index2.html) this weekend.

Sean O'Gorman
09-02-04, 08:06 PM
Do they call Buffalo wings Buffalo wings in Buffalo? Or are they just wings?

dando
09-02-04, 08:52 PM
some days, you need ranch. :cool:

Dems fightin' words in your neck of the woods. ;)

-Kevin

pfc_m_drake
09-02-04, 08:58 PM
Do they call Buffalo wings Buffalo wings in Buffalo? Or are they just wings?
You either just call them 'wings', or perhaps 'chicken wings'. Never ever ever refer to them as 'Buffalo wings' unless you want the natives to look at you funny :D

pfc_m_drake
09-02-04, 09:01 PM
Sad to say, I've lived in the B-lo for all of my 23 years and never had wings from either the Anchor Bar or Duffs. And I even went to college down the street from the Anchor Bar. I've had LaNova's--those are some good wings.

Oh well, I suppose that's why there's the Buffalo Wing Fest (http://www.buffalowing.com/index2.html) this weekend.
LaNova's are very fine as well. I've personally only been to the Anchor Bar twice, and neither time was I overly impressed.

However, I went to UB (North Campus) and had more wings from Duff's over the years than I care to own up to at the moment. :D

Mr. Vengeance
09-02-04, 09:37 PM
I've made heaps of these things. Not exactly an exact science, but pretty tough to screw up and dead easy to make. Check the sauce when the first batch of wings are done and adjust from there. If you don't love 'em I'll give you your money back.

1/2 c butter
3/4 c. (or more, preferably more) Franks hot sauce
black pepper, (1/2 tsp or so)
1/2 tsp (or more) garlic powder

~ 1 cup flour
3/4 tsp. paprika (or leave it out, no biggy either way)
1/4 tsp (at the very least) cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
and a dozen wings, at least....

-the flour, paprika, salt and cayenne all get mixed together. You might want to toss in a bit of garlic powder, as well. Sprinkle this over the chicken; more is better. Put the now coated wings in the fridge for a couple hours, until the wings are really sticky.

-the butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder go into a saucepan, heat slowly. (don't boil it).

-heat some cooking oil to about 365 degrees, cook the wings (in batches) until you see dark brown spots on them, probably around 6 or 7 minutes... I've never timed them. Cut one open or check it with a thermometer if you're the worrying type.

-drain them, pour the hot sauce over them, grab a beer, and turn on the tube.

You can vary the level of "heat" by screwing around with the ratio of butter:Franks. This is just a good starting point.

I never thought I'd be exchanging recipes on OC.... :shakehead

chop456
09-03-04, 01:44 AM

Grand & Ogden, downtown.

RTKar
09-03-04, 06:42 AM
Grand & Ogden, downtown.