PDA

View Full Version : How would "they" do now?

Jervis Tetch 1
08-31-04, 09:52 PM
How would some of these I*L "drivers" do in Champ Car now given proper equipment. In other words, do you think Sam the Sham could measure up to Sea Bass in a Lola?

Answer from me: NOPE, NEVER, NO F****ING WAY!!!!

Here's the pool of er, excuse me, talent: Sam the Sham. Mr. Ed. Foytility IV. Scott Sharp as a bowling ball. Jacque Strap Lazier. Not my Buddy Rice-a-Roni. Fadrian and Helio Castronervous.

The biggest sham would of course be Sam. It amazes me how the Lemmings talk up how great he really is. I don't even think Sam I am knows how to set up a car.

This lot isn't even in the same class as Sea Bass, Dinger, PT, et al. :laugh:

nz_climber
08-31-04, 10:16 PM
most of them fit in with fabio just fine :saywhat: :laugh:

Lizzerd
08-31-04, 11:13 PM
Sam: No way. Mid to back of the pack. Likely bottom third.

Ed the Stepson: Hahahahahaha!!!!! You're joking, right?

Foyt EyeVee: Hahahahaha X 4 (IV)!!!!

Scott damn-I-crashed-on-the-first-lap-again Sharp: Given he hasn't turned right intentionally for a few years, mid pack at best.

Buddy's little brother: Has he ever turned right on a race track (intentionally)?

Nosuchsoul
08-31-04, 11:48 PM
I think Buddy will do well. He never got a fair shot in CART. Not his fault he needs to eat.

manic mechanic
09-01-04, 02:01 AM
To answer justly:

3 of the 8 could run top 12 (Rice, Fernandez & Helio) on a road circuit...That is not saying they could do the job that Servia is doing with a DCR car..apples and oranges, you know.

2 of the 3 (Rice & Helio) could contend for wins in equal equipment (see exception above).

The rest...Pul-EEEZ! Sharp is the best bet, and he has forgotten more about road course setups than most of us ever learned!

I won't even talk about Sam, 4, Mr. Ed, or Buddy's 'lil bro...All too short on the talent meter for my tastes (Even "Spear-ya" fico "tested" better than SOME drivers...well, yeah..He did bring that check; But I'm not talking dollars, I'm talking sense!!!) :p

Put those three in a run with Speedy, Fabio, and Slow-veen (then throw Joey Hand in the mix just for grins :D ), and I'd put money down on Joey to place if the equipment is equal! I have no doubt that the EARL drivers would place 5-10, with a better than average chance of "a few" DNFs.

manic

P.S. If we put Cork in the mix, he'd lap the field!!! :eek:

theunions
09-01-04, 02:46 AM
Buddy's little brother: Has he ever turned right on a race track (intentionally)?

He did a half dozen Indy Lights races in '97, including Long Beach, Savannah and Detroit. At least a couple of his AIS starts would've been on road courses too.

Mike Kellner
09-01-04, 08:32 AM
I am confused. I don't recognize the names other than Monkey Boy. He is good enough to be competetive, but that doesn't mean I want him back. I'm waitin' to see AJ punch him out in Victory Circle when he wins #5.

"I'm zo 'appy, sob, sneff..." WHUMP!

mk

JLMannin
09-01-04, 01:08 PM
How would some of these I*L "drivers" do in Champ Car now given proper equipment. In other words, do you think Sam the Sham could measure up to Sea Bass in a Lola?

Well, the elite crapwagon pilots prior to Ganassi, Penske, Rahal, et al sucombing to indyitis instantly became back of the pack field fillers.

That speaks volumes.

RichK
09-01-04, 01:26 PM
He did a half dozen Indy Lights races in '97, including Long Beach, Savannah and Detroit. At least a couple of his AIS starts would've been on road courses too.

He also won the Runoffs in Formula Vee.

mapguy
09-01-04, 01:27 PM
He also won the Runoffs in Formula Vee.

After jumping the start....

jonovision_man
09-01-04, 02:08 PM
Answers will be coming, 2-3 road/street races for IRL next year, that'll separate the men from the boys. I expect the ex-CART guys to completely dominate, the rest haven't raced road at this level, and 2 races isn't enough to get up to speed and get the cobwebs out.

jono

Ziggy
09-01-04, 05:15 PM
Laugh all you want, Helio is a good road racer. Dashley had some good runs as well. Dont know about Toeknee, but I would not bet against it, he was not that sucky at RRing.

For the Earl "pilots", none come to mind. Put several into Atlantics for a couple of years and maybe one or two could learn. Our ladder system sucks

oh, and Bloody Lazier (the lazerbeam as his backwards reading dad calls him) could not drive a sharp stick into a snow bank. He and Cheesers face on the Borg Warner are two of the most embarrasing legaceys of the split.

no dictionary was consulted in creation of this post

Ziggy

Amanda B.'s Mom
09-01-04, 11:27 PM
Helio and Buddy could be very competitive. Sam made the jump from Atlantics after his rookie year, not enough experience. Adrian has multiple reponsibilities that may be causing a little too much strress.

Nosuchsoul
09-02-04, 12:25 AM
Don't be Angry!!! Group Hug. :D :) :) :D

tomahawk
09-02-04, 07:37 AM
Honestly,

Helio, Kanaan, Dixon - could be threaten top eight in any given race; won't threaten for championship
Herta, Manning, Barron - mid-pack, with an occasional top five, just as they were before
Fernandez, Dario - mid-pack, past their prime
Wheldon, Rice - jury's out, unproven and untested in top tier racing
Scheckter - could surprise...if he doesn't take out half the field at turn one
Bell - could surprise...F3000 experience might help
Hornish - should do Nascar, not ChampCar
The Rest - I don't think so...

JMVHO...

:tomahawk

cart7
09-02-04, 08:07 AM
Schekter is the only original earl driver I'd like to see be given a shot. I also wouldn't mind seeing Townsend back under the right conditions.

RTKar
09-02-04, 08:28 AM
I disagree on Manning being mid-pack, given a good chassis and team, I think he'd be competitive.

Jervis Tetch 1
09-02-04, 09:41 AM
Helio and Buddy could be very competitive. Sam made the jump from Atlantics after his rookie year, not enough experience. Adrian has multiple reponsibilities that may be causing a little too much strress.No question on Helio...Buddy? I guess we'll never know...Sam made the jump from Atlantics to the I*L, but apart from Chicago, an oval, Sham was NEVER a factor on the road courses...and of course I've heard the "well Sam was only a teen and didn't know the tracks, blah, blah, blah..." He had run on Mid-Ohio for a long time (or so he says) and he still didn't finish in the top 5 and was never a factor in that race (1999).

He won't be able to make those outside passes on a road course at a point where the passing is prohibited. He'll cause more wrecks that way. Sham isn't setting the world on fire this year...Toyota notwithstanding...after he won the first race, the pundits at the I*L already penciled his name on the trophy.

He's having his problems with handling and starting to show he's merely a good driver, not anything great.

Peter Venkman
09-04-04, 02:51 PM
I think Buddy will do well. He never got a fair shot in CART. Not his fault he needs to eat.

Nailed it on the head.

Buddy Rice would not just run well in Champ Car, he would be running at the front. Period.

And, it's not that he needs to eat, Buddy had some money before he hit the big time. I think he's where he thinks he has to be right now, but given enough of a viable future in Champ Cars, he'd be there in a minute. That is as long as he could contractually repeat his IRL 500 win.

JT265
09-04-04, 03:09 PM
Helio and Buddy could be very competitive. Sam made the jump from Atlantics after his rookie year, not enough experience. Adrian has multiple reponsibilities that may be causing a little too much strress.

The 1st two I agree with. Sham ain't never gonna set a RR venue on fire. (Unless he's pitting of course)

Now, about FAdrian. Do you mean to say that Clarke actually makes him DEPOSIT those checks, as opposed to wiring the money into his account?