PDA

View Full Version : Also in RM piece: NH to stay

Andrew Longman
08-31-04, 01:19 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/12697/

IT'S STILL NEWMAN-HAAS

Carl Haas doesn't want to talk about it yet but Paul Newman made it official over the weekend at Montreal.

"Carl and I are together forever," said Newman in response to the future of his 21-year partnership with Haas in Champ Car. "Now the cat's out of the bag."

Haas had received a large financial offer from Tony George and Honda about jumping to the Indy Racing League but they demanded he close the doors of his Champ Car team.

Newman, easily Champ Car's most vocal and visible supporter, vowed to continue the team if Haas left for the IRL but they've decided to stay together.

"I haven't said anything yet and I won't," said Haas.

An official announcement is expected next week and there's a good chance Cristiano da Matta may be in a third Newman-Haas entry in 2005 with Sebastien Bourdais and Bruno Junqueira.

Also in case you missed it, there is a great article on/interview with Paul Newman in this months Racer Magazine (sorry no link). You can really see his passion for the sport and champcars in particular (as well as his displeasure with TG).

(there are also two regretable pieces by Dave Phillips on the need for merger with the IRL... prompting an angry of letter to the editor from me)

sadams
08-31-04, 01:31 PM
Yup saw the same article by Philips. He just doesn't get it does he?
We had one series until the Idoit Coke head threw a hissy fit.
We were poised to get NASCAR a distant second.

Steve99
08-31-04, 07:09 PM
What annoys me about Phillip's articles was he made no proposal about what it would take to get it done. Just saying "one series" is BS, he shouldn't get paid for that.

dando
08-31-04, 07:19 PM
Haas had received a large financial offer from Tony George and Honda about jumping to the Indy Racing League but they demanded he close the doors of his Champ Car team.

In case I haven't said it l8ly...FTG! and FHoMoCo!!!!

-Kevin

RaceChic
09-06-04, 06:02 AM
Yes!! Yes!!!

Pleeeeeease bring back Cristiano da Matta !!!! :D :D

oddlycalm
09-07-04, 02:36 PM
they demanded he close the doors of his Champ Car team

This is huge news. Buying teams off one by one has been a very effective strategy.... until now. This effectively kills any chance of this strategy prevailing. Newman-Haas, Forsythe, Kalkovan, Russo and Gentillozi represent enough core teams to assure the continuation of the series indefinitely. Another nasty little TG maneuver bites the dust. :thumbup:

I'm very pleased that Paul Newman had the stones to not only say no, but to say hell no to these vultures. It also casts Rahal, Fernandez and the rest in stark relief as the weak kneed fools they are. I only wish that Haas hadn't taken so long to think about it. I'd like to think he was just playing with TG, but I doubt that was it.

oc

pchall
09-07-04, 03:35 PM

This is exactly why we chant FTG and despise all who give him ¥¥¥ .

JLMannin
09-08-04, 12:42 PM
Is it possible that Carl Haas is the first documented case of a car owner afflicted with indyitis being cured?

Onlt time will tell.