PDA

View Full Version : "They Will Be Fierce!"

racer2c
08-31-04, 11:33 AM
NEWMAN'S OWN

Friday's press release about McDonald's becoming the official fast food restaurant of Champ Car was pooh-poohed by some people as being just another piece of paper.

But Paul Newman, the man who helped secure Mickey Ds for his team and the series he loves, begs to differ with that assessment.

"Originally I was thinking that they would probably be a silent partner but they're going to jump into this deal with both feet," said Newman, whose salad dressing is used in all McDonald's (and all the proceeds go to his Hole in the Wall Gang for terminally ill children).

"As for my own company, my food company, our connection with McDonald's has been productive beyond almost imagination. Once they get behind something, the results are stupendous.

"They will be fierce in both promotion and marketing. It's going to be a powerful influence on our team and for Champ Car and racing in general."

First and foremost, McDonald's plans to help market Champ Car with television commercials -- something title sponsor FedEx never did during its five years with CART.

"It's our desire to use the assets of Champ Car in our commercials," said John Lewicki, director of Alliances for McDonald's USA. "Our commercials will be centered around the imagery of the car, Sebastien and maybe Paul.

"And we'll also take Champ Car along with it."

What wasn't announced was that AOL/Time Warner is likely going to be Champ Car's title sponsor and it will have an in-store promotion with McDonald's.

"There are some really big things on the horizon," said Newman.

Simply stupendous! :thumbup:

jonovision_man
08-31-04, 12:24 PM
Have a link? That's good stuff. :)

JLMannin
08-31-04, 12:31 PM
Sponsor money coming back to the series must be a key attribute of having a dead series. :D

For all you lemming scum out there, buy a Big-Mac(r) and shove it up your ass!

rabbit
08-31-04, 12:33 PM
Have a link? That's good stuff. :)
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/12697/

KLang
08-31-04, 02:24 PM
Very encouraging. :thumbup:

Hmmm.... I wonder if Penske caught wind of some of this stuff, leading to his talks of merging.....

Methanolandbrats
08-31-04, 03:30 PM

Post of the Day. :rofl: We need t-shirts, bumperstickers....................

Skater_36
09-01-04, 09:01 AM
Very encouraging. :thumbup:

Hmmm.... I wonder if Penske caught wind of some of this stuff, leading to his talks of merging.....

I think Penske is more concerned about the low TV ratings and lack of spectators at IRL races which will probably cause the manufacturers to stop spending money there. The McDonalds announcement and hopefully more announcements to come, will only increase the pressure on the IRL to produce ratings or lose sponsors dollars.

Penske, Ganassi and Tony George pulled out all the stops to crush CART this past year and it didn't work, they didn't anticipate the fan loyalty to CART the series. If Honda and Toyota cut team sponsorship the IRL is back to square one and Penske ends up with egg on his face.

pchall
09-01-04, 09:26 AM

They'd rather have a tenderloin. ;)

Ankf00
09-01-04, 09:47 AM
They'd rather have a tenderloin. ;)
I've never understood the tenderloin cracks...

racer2c
09-01-04, 10:25 AM

me neither. I always thought it had something to do with wining and dining the media, but maybe it's just some TF thing, a place I don't go.

indyfan31
09-01-04, 11:34 AM
If Honda and Toyota cut team sponsorship the IRL is back to square one and Penske ends up with egg on his face.

As much as I hate Penske for what he's tried to do to Champ Car, it's unlikely he'll ever end up with "egg on his face." He knows something's coming, that's why he took it upon himself to initiate the merger talks. It didn't work, now he'll try something else. Unlike another "leader" in opewheel racing, Penske's always had the ability to see beyond the end of his nose; you can be sure he's taken note of what the 3 amigos have accomplished so far.

Winston Wolfe
09-01-04, 12:54 PM
Sponsor money coming back to the series must be a key attribute of having a dead series. :D

Mickey D's is already ON THE MUTHA. :thumbup: ... I was bumpin' around on EBAY today and what did I see, but a 2004 CHAMPCAR featuring McD's and SeaBass that is going to be produced in LIMITED QTYs and should be ready by the end of the year. For those diecast fans out there, it is being sold by Toronto Motorsports, who run a very top shelf, clean sheets operation, and I have purchased several items from them in the past.

Stay tuned for Happy Meals featuring cars, and I think the promo options are virtually endless. Look for portable burger stands at virtually ALL future events, and other stuff...

JLMannin
09-01-04, 12:59 PM

IIRC, one of the excuses for empty grandstands early in the lifecycle of the IRL was that it was really hot and that the fans were under the protective shade of the grandstands purchasing concessions . . . . .

. . . . . and of course, the Marion County fairgrounds Speedway would have your typical county fair fare, including corn-dogs and fried pork tenderloins.

oddlycalm
09-01-04, 01:42 PM
Penske, Ganassi and Tony George pulled out all the stops to crush CART this past year and it didn't work, they didn't anticipate the fan loyalty to CART the series.

Hard to anticipate loyalty when it's a totally unfamiliar concept for them. ;)

oc

theunions
09-01-04, 03:03 PM
I was bumpin' around on EBAY today and what did I see, but a 2004 CHAMPCAR featuring McD's and SeaBass that is going to be produced in LIMITED QTYs and should be ready by the end of the year..

Please tell me these will be more accurately done than last year's "2003" Action Forsythe Lolas...where they put O.Z.'s instead of BBS wheels on all versions and actually made the "Last Lap" diecast a Reynard... :shakehead

theunions
09-01-04, 03:26 PM
Ugh...just did some digging at Toronto Motorsports and found the diecast will indeed be a Reynard. :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

Ruok
09-01-04, 04:26 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, but it might give you context. About line 40 or so.

You know you're from Indiana when... (http://www.blogthings.com/indiana.html)

SteveH
09-01-04, 05:02 PM
New Champ Car version of the Happy Meal to include Sea Bass and fries. :gomer:

SID
09-02-04, 12:51 PM
me neither. I always thought it had something to do with wining and dining the media, but maybe it's just some TF thing, a place I don't go.

I think it goes bac to a REALLY unflattering pic that circulated a few years ago of a bloated AJ snarfing down a HUGE tenderloin sammich :rofl:

Madmaxfan2
09-02-04, 08:13 PM
TF had a monster tenderloin thread going. Now you know what the cracks are about.

Amanda B.'s Mom
09-02-04, 10:04 PM
Mac D's is huge! Just what Champ Car needs!

pchall
09-03-04, 09:22 AM
Tenderloins are an important part of Hoosier culture: don't dis the pig butts. They are, of course, just a badly cooked pork schnitzle, but don't tell a gomer that because "them's fightin' words".

Peter Venkman
09-04-04, 02:45 PM
PLN,

I think your politics stink, but you are a fantastic human being for your philanthropy and your support of ours/your racing.