PDA

View Full Version : Last Call

Brickman
08-30-04, 08:07 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/40551_rlc1.jpg

:thumbup:

Railbird
08-30-04, 08:14 PM
I was just getting ready to start a thread on what would be the wierdest thing ol' Rusty will get as a going away present?

Rocking chairs and shotguns are givens.

Madmaxfan2
08-30-04, 09:05 PM
Talk about mixed feelings, being an ex-St. Louiser, I remember seeing Rusty at 1/3 mile Lakehill Speedway racing in 75 Chevy CMC Stereo Camaro. Fast forward to being a Detroiter in 96 and a Ford employee, I manned the Rusty Wallace autographic booth for Ford employee racer day, and experienced the worst driver experence ever, the prima donna known as Rusty! That broke my habit of driver worship.

Racewriter
08-31-04, 12:05 AM
Talk about mixed feelings, being an ex-St. Louiser, I remember seeing Rusty at 1/3 mile Lakehill Speedway racing in 75 Chevy CMC Stereo Camaro. Fast forward to being a Detroiter in 96 and a Ford employee, I manned the Rusty Wallace autographic booth for Ford employee racer day, and experienced the worst driver experence ever, the prima donna known as Rusty! That broke my habit of driver worship.

My dad raced against Rusty at I-70 at that time, in that very same Camaro. I have a few shots of it looking more like a Gremlin - on more than one occasion. But I'll tell you what - when he got it figured out, he REALLY got it figured out. Let's not let the "old guy" stuff detract from the fact that Rusty was one of the most dominant stock car drivers in America, short tracks to long, for over 15 years.

B3RACER1a
08-31-04, 01:56 AM
How in the world can you run a whole season where everyone is focussed on your retirement?

Seems somewhat arrogant. :thumdown:

Anyways, wish him the best.

chop456
08-31-04, 02:00 AM
How in the world can you run a whole season where everyone is focussed on your retirement?

Seems somewhat arrogant. :thumdown:

See Andretti, Mario

Also Rahal, Booby

Spicoli
08-31-04, 07:12 AM
See Andretti, Mario

Also Rahal, Booby

Andretti. Michael, Whiner.

pchall
08-31-04, 07:40 AM
Aren't we all eagerly awaiting a certain Herr Schumacher's retirement tour? ;)

chop456
08-31-04, 08:32 AM
Aren't we all eagerly awaiting a certain Herr Schumacher's retirement tour? ;)

I bet they won't have the required lameosity to give it a name and a logo, though.

Methanolandbrats
08-31-04, 08:45 AM
Aren't we all eagerly awaiting a certain Herr Schumacher's retirement tour? ;) Not me. I'm eagerly awaiting Coulthard's retirement, then again 05 could his year. :p

cart7
08-31-04, 08:54 AM

My cousin ran a very shortened season at that time at Lakehill. He ran with my Uncles Car wash and Laundrymat sponsorship. Of course, Ron, running his big mouth and bragging wound him run into the wall in his first 4 or 5 races.
:rofl: I was going to pit crew for him that summer but he never made it that far when Unc. pulled the plug on his season due to too many DNF's. The car sat wrecked in Unc's driveway for a couple years till someone finally came along and bought the bent, twisted mess.

FRANKY
08-31-04, 10:09 AM
I bet they won't have the required lameosity to give it a name and a logo, though.

What? No Arrivederci Michael?
:cry:

More of an AJ Foyt style, one last lap and adieu?

Madmaxfan2
08-31-04, 10:58 AM
My dad raced against Rusty at I-70 at that time, in that very same Camaro. I have a few shots of it looking more like a Gremlin - on more than one occasion. But I'll tell you what - when he got it figured out, he REALLY got it figured out. Let's not let the "old guy" stuff detract from the fact that Rusty was one of the most dominant stock car drivers in America, short tracks to long, for over 15 years.

You are right, but, I am not sure he was the best short tracker even in Missouri at that time. On one Sunday night, I saw Larry Phillips of Springfield, Mo teach the Wallace family something that night at Lakehill. Rusty had a few people, namely Don Miller of Roger Penske connections following Rusty. Still, Rusty had earn his equipment and success, unlike Kyle Petty who had it handed to him. Those two make an interesting case in comparisions.

Joe in LA
08-31-04, 01:32 PM
The strange part of this is that his given reason--going out on top and safety--would strongly suggest he retire right now. Rusty is pretty far off his peak now, and if he is concerned about his safey, running another 50 races doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Andrew Longman
08-31-04, 01:37 PM
The strange part of this is that his given reason--going out on top and safety--would strongly suggest he retire right now. Rusty is pretty far off his peak now, and if he is concerned about his safey, running another 50 races doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

My thought exactly. In fact when I saw this in this morning's paper I misread it to read he was retiring at the end of the season

theunions
08-31-04, 01:59 PM
I manned the Rusty Wallace autographic booth for Ford employee racer day, and experienced the worst driver experence ever, the prima donna known as Rusty!

Told to a friend of mine who tried in vain to get a good photo of Rusty one day, by one of his handlers:

"Rusty don't make money for you if you don't make money for Rusty." :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
08-31-04, 03:29 PM

Maybe he is talking about his financial safety. :)

JohnHKart
08-31-04, 06:03 PM
Yeah another thing that doesn't make sense is that driving Cup cars on Cup tracks is so much safer than when Earnhardt died, with the exception of Talladega and Daytona. With soft walls, HANS devices, fire extinguishers in fuel tanks, etc. So if he was really concerned about safety he should have quit three years ago when it was still really dangerous.

John

Ankf00
08-31-04, 06:20 PM
it's at 2am in Houston and Austin, was a blast being able to partake in the 4am last call in NYC last weekend :)

jcollins28
08-31-04, 07:58 PM
I wonder how pissed off Tony will be at Pimpski when he throws Sammy in a Tin Top for good come 2006 with Toyota power?

Madmaxfan2
08-31-04, 09:56 PM
Told to a friend of mine who tried in vain to get a good photo of Rusty one day, by one of his handlers:

"Rusty don't make money for you if you don't make money for Rusty." :shakehead
You need the patience of Job to be his handler. What you say is SPOT ON!
Although, people did bring in four diecasts for him to sign, like those folks needed four diecasts signed by Rusty for thier life to be complete. Yep, selfishness on display on both sides of the autograph table there. A perfect example of what NASCAR is really all about these days. I should have picked the Dorsey Scheorder table, where there were no people to speak of and have some real fun! You can't beat road racing fans.

nissan gtp
08-31-04, 10:15 PM
collectable beer cans on the way :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
08-31-04, 11:13 PM
collectable beer cans on the way :laugh:

Yeah, in honor of Rusty's career and achievements in the #2 car, alcoholic content in Miller Lite will temporarily be increased to 2%.

Peter Venkman
09-04-04, 03:01 PM
Not me. I'm eagerly awaiting Coulthard's retirement, then again 05 could his year. :p

I think that David is second only to Schumaker in active driver wins.

Not a bad way to go out.

JT265
09-05-04, 09:30 AM
Yeah, in honor of Rusty's career and achievements in the #2 car, alcoholic content in Miller Lite will temporarily be increased to 2%.

Now that's funny.

Who'd you hook that off of? :p

Phantom
09-06-04, 10:28 PM
What an ironic choice of names for a promotion. I know it's a beer tie in, but c'mon - "The Call." Is this NASCAR's way of absolutely rubbing the nose of serious motorsports into their practice of pre-dertermining winners.

So where will Rusty get his "Last Call?" Bristol?

FRANKY
09-07-04, 01:00 AM
What an ironic choice of names for a promotion. I know it's a beer tie in, but c'mon - "The Call." Is this NASCAR's way of absolutely rubbing the nose of serious motorsports into their practice of pre-dertermining winners.

So where will Rusty get his "Last Call?" Bristol?

I don't think it would apply. From his web site "Wallace's career statistical breakdown at Bristol sports nine wins, 20 top-fives, 27 top-10s, seven poles and $1,893,584 in career winnings after 40 races."

That short tracker earned each one and would probably do so if he won there again.

Dirty Sanchez
09-07-04, 07:37 AM
I think that David is second only to Schumaker in active driver wins.

Not a bad way to go out.Unfortunately, he will more often be remembered as having the same number of WDCs as Tora Takagi despite having vastly superior equipment :gomer: