PDA

View Full Version : Neil Peart book: Ghost Rider

RichK
08-30-04, 02:33 PM
I just picked up an EXCELLENT book by Rush drummer Neil Peart, it is about dealing with both his daughter and wife passing away within a year's time.

The book chronicles a 50,000 mile motorcycle ride he begins from home, travels to the Arctic Circle, the USA, and I believe into Mexico, while trying to find a reason to live and begin a new life without his family.

I've only read about a quarter of the book, but it is so good I thought I'd post this now! It's very well written (like his lyrics), and moving.

I was a huge Rush fan for a long time, but floated away after Grace Under Pressure. That's about the same time I stopped playing drums in various bands. I remember writing a letter to Neil about drumming and some other subjects, and he was nice enough to send back a postcard, answering each of my questions. The postcard photo was of him playing his full set on a small raft on the lake where his house sits. Very cool photo. Anyway, he seemed like a thoughtful & real person, and this book confirms it.

It's a sort of travelogue/healing/motorcycle book! It's interspersed with past Rush lyrics that are very apt to his current situation.

I'm glad I have a plane flight this afternoon, I get to do some more reading!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1550225480.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Steve99
08-30-04, 03:27 PM
Thanks for info. Let us know how the rest of the book is.

What should we make the due date be for your book report? :)

JohnHKart
08-30-04, 07:47 PM
What a cool pic on the cover!

John

Joe in LA
08-31-04, 01:37 PM
Peart did an interview/ride with one of the Cycle World guys about 6 months ago. It was a very nice article and gave a nice perspective on him.

Twisty Bits
09-01-04, 03:10 AM
Dude was pretty rough for a while, he'd ride his cycle instead of going on the tour bus while on tour. Sux

KaBoom21
09-03-04, 07:37 PM
Dude was pretty rough for a while, he'd ride his cycle instead of going on the tour bus while on tour. Sux

He still has the BMW cycles on the back of a bus for this tour. While Geddy and Alex may fly from hub city to hub city, I'm pretty sure Neil rides the cycle as much as possible.

His new toy is the Z8.

RichK
09-03-04, 07:45 PM
From what I understand, he was going on rides in between shows before his family tragedies occurred. He was also doing long bicycle rides as well as motorcycle rides.

I'm about halfway through the book now, it's still great!

Z8, huh? Nice! Off Topic: I recall a long BMW forum thread about Dinan and Z8s. I think Dinan modifed the frame of some Z8s to fit his new exhaust (instead of the other way around), and BMW wouldn't warranty the cars after the frames were modified. The Z8 owners whose cars were modified revolted, and Dinan had to order new chassis' as replacements for everyone. Ouch!

RusH
09-03-04, 09:18 PM
Good to hear a positive story on "the professor". There are so many fans telling stories on his hatred of the limelight. Which may be true, but I was impressed that he responded in your case.

Chaos
09-04-04, 11:44 AM
Peart is the best technical drummer i've ever heard.

I never heard about him losing his wife and daughter. Does anyone know what happened?

tllips
09-04-04, 10:10 PM
Peart is the best technical drummer i've ever heard.

I never heard about him losing his wife and daughter. Does anyone know what happened?

I don't remember which came first, but he lost his daughter in a car accident and then, within one year, he lost his wife to cancer. Major bummer! :(

indyfan31
11-22-06, 11:12 AM
For all you Peart fans with some disposable income burning a hole in your pockets.

For Sale (http://www.guitarcenter.com/peart/) :eek:

RichK
11-22-06, 02:05 PM
For all you Peart fans with some disposable income burning a hole in your pockets.

For Sale (http://www.guitarcenter.com/peart/) :eek:

It ain't the real thing unless it's a Tama kit! :D

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/9/96/250px-Neil_Peart_Moving_Pictures.jpg

indyfan31
11-22-06, 03:10 PM
The "parts list" shows 3 snares, but I only see two in the picture. :confused: