PDA

View Full Version : Laura Branigan departs

oddlycalm
08-30-04, 03:45 AM
Laura Branigan death (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=495&ncid=762&e=3&u=/ap/20040829/ap_en_mu/obit_branigan)

I met Laura in Boise under some amusing circumstances back in the '70's. Real nice down to earth lady. I'm not a huge pop music fan, but I had respect for her vocal range and energy. I'm left with a nagging feeling that I wish it had been TG instead...

oc

theunions
08-30-04, 04:08 AM
So...what were the amusing circumstances?

Jag_Warrior
08-30-04, 07:03 AM
"Gloria" was one of those songs that just stuck in your head... whether you wanted it to or not. But I sort of liked it. I was very sorry to read of her death. Only 47! :shakehead

Tall1
08-30-04, 08:30 AM
For some oddd reason, "Gloria" has always made whatever I happen to be driving go faster. She also did a Bond song. 47 is far too young.

Classic Apex
08-30-04, 10:15 AM
At least she passed away while sleeping.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-30-04, 09:23 PM
Not only a good singer (although her pop wasn't my cup of tea) she was also an actress.

I remember seeing her on an episode of that cult show "Monsters" along with the late Morton Downey Jr. Apparently she was also starring as Janis Joplin in a Broadway play/musical.

She died of the same thing my sister died of, only my sis was 43. It is far too young to die. :(

oddlycalm
08-31-04, 04:40 PM
So...what were the amusing circumstances?

I was in Boise visiting a friend whose younger girlfriend grew up with Branigan and they were still tight. LB and her band had played Boise the night before and she was hanging for another day to visit before heading to their next gig at Sun Valley. At the time she was not yet well known. We all (including band members) went to a great place called Churchills for dinner that is, unfortunately, no longer there.

So, the other restaurant patrons are busy staring at our table of mostly rock and roll folks and whispering away to each other in this very quiet restaurant right in the heart of Mormon country when in walks Frank Zappa with all of his people... :eek: At this point there are around three dozen people that couldn't have been any stranger to the folks in that restaurant if they had been aliens from another planet. Boise in the 70's was not what anyone would call a cosmopolitan town. The reactions of the locals to the freak show was definitely amusing to me.

We went to the Zappa show that night and there were a total of 34 people in the audience, us included, which amused Zappa to no end. He brought out his movie camera and filmed the audience and the band on the stage, etc., then proceeded to put on a great show. I was told that the John Denver show the weekend before was a sellout... ;)

oc

Twisty Bits
09-01-04, 03:06 AM
Live every day to it's fullest!! And...oh yeah, go to races.

RTKar
09-01-04, 08:15 AM
Live every day to it's fullest!! And...oh yeah, go to races.

...and eat chicken wings ;)

chop456
09-01-04, 08:23 AM
And sandwiches.

Lots of sandwiches.

RTKar
09-01-04, 08:29 AM
And sandwiches.

Lots of sandwiches.

Sandwiches....Are they like heroin too???

SteveH
09-01-04, 08:45 AM
And sandwiches.

Lots of sandwiches.

beat me to it

enjoy every sandwhich

chop456
09-01-04, 08:46 AM
Sandwiches....Are they like heroin too???

Well, the Twisted Spoke makes a Buffalo Chicken sandwich that's more or less like Heroin. The best of both worlds.

[on topic]Laura Branigan might have enjoyed such a sandwich[/ontopic]

oddlycalm
09-01-04, 12:58 PM

I'm starting a new thread for the wing discussion.

oc

BNica
09-20-04, 08:48 PM
And sandwiches.

Lots of sandwiches.

Not if you're Mama Cass.

-Just tying it into the dead singer thread.

b/t/w cool story O.C.

race chica
09-29-04, 12:03 AM

and wear your seat belts....