PDA

View Full Version : Race?

nz_climber
08-29-04, 06:05 PM
So was there even a race today? what happend? was it good? who made bone head moves?

Come on guys the internet is the only place a kiwi Champcar fan can get information on his series - and when the forums don't mention the race at all what am I to do ? (what i usually do, use a bit of imagination to piece together the race using qual positions and finishing results!)

Hell I only just watch denver yesterday... keep me updated folks

thanks
aaron

Chitowncartfreak
08-29-04, 06:17 PM
Here's a summary. Bruno won, SeaBass was taken out by a bonzai move by AJ, AJ penalized for "avoidable contact", AJ penalized 1 lap again at the end of the race for violating the pit stop window rule (so I've heard), Carp 2nd, Mario 3rd, PT 4th.

Biggest bonehead move - Chris Kneifel for penalizing AJ for the contact. It was a bold move, but just a racing incident in my opinion. AJ drove a great, but aggressive race.

Kiwifan
08-29-04, 06:30 PM
Thanks, we don't get to see the race until firkin' Wednesday, again. :(

Rusty.

Lizzerd
08-29-04, 06:42 PM
Sorry, Aaron and Rusty. I was gonna get to writing a post after the Spike broadcast here in the States. More to come, I'm sure. Bottom line is Bruno won, and AJ got screwed TWICE.

Return of the Circus Clowns, IMO.

RaceGrrl
08-29-04, 07:17 PM
The avoidable contact call on AJ was stupid. If that's how they're going to call the races, then WTF wasn't Tags penalized for his boneheaded move at the beginning of the race? If you're gonna penalize guys for racing, don't expect to see much racing. Instead, we can watch Boring Bruno drive around until someone who is racing loses first place to him. I'm surprised they didn't penalize RHR for avoidable contact with the wall- it's gotten so ridiculous.

nrc
08-29-04, 07:29 PM
I guess they don't want anyone ever attempting a pass for the lead unless they're absolutely, 100% certain that they can do it with no mistakes - no driving at ten tenths least you should step over the limit, make a mistake and ruin your race with a penalty. Get in line, stay there and collect your "good result."

If A.J. had blown the corner completely and just made it impossible for Seabass I could understand, but it wasn't that big an error. As TK said, they're essentially saying that there is no such thing as "a racing incident" and if that's the case I want to know why there were no penalties for Tags on the start for pushing Tracy off and then hitting AJ.

Sean O'Gorman
08-29-04, 07:30 PM
I haven't watched my tape of the race yet (probably wont until Tuesday), but I can't believe they did this again. I think club racers have more leniency when it comes to contact than Champ Car drivers!

Railbird
08-29-04, 08:03 PM
My race recap:

'dinger got screwed, pit windows suck, blinky cruised.

Other than that it was a pretty good race in front of a great crowd.

and no one got set on fire or run over in the pits.

nrc
08-29-04, 08:10 PM
Some good news from the AP report anyway...

That wasn't the end of the frustration for Allmendinger, though. He held on to finish fifth, but was initially charged with a one-lap penalty for allegedly failing to make a required stop late in the race. After a review by race stewards, that took about two hours, Allmendinger was put back in fifth.

"Yeah Carl? Sorry, I guess you read the rule and we didn't..."

:rolleyes:

Railbird
08-29-04, 08:16 PM
wonderful :rolleyes:

dando
08-29-04, 08:37 PM
Return of the Circus Clowns, IMO.

I'd call Kniefel a clown, but I would rather not defame clowns. ;)

-Kevin

FTG
08-29-04, 08:39 PM
Actually, a clown did wave the flag to start the race.

Lizzerd
08-29-04, 08:43 PM
Actually, a clown did wave the flag to start the race.

That wasn't a clown, it was the newest series sponsor. Show some respect. :D

jonovision_man
08-29-04, 08:49 PM
Attendance looked really strong all weekend. Oh Canada. :thumbup: 3 for 3.

jono

Willam
08-29-04, 08:50 PM
My take on the race...Ain't got one since no one in México was able to see the race since it wasn't shown anywhere... :flame:

And by the way, the tickets for the Mexico City race...no signs of them, no promotion for the race, nothing...

SteveH
08-29-04, 08:55 PM
and no one got set on fire or run over in the pits.

Hater :gomer:

nrc
08-29-04, 09:14 PM
My take on the race...Ain't got one since no one in México was able to see the race since it wasn't shown anywhere... :flame:

And by the way, the tickets for the Mexico City race...no signs of them, no promotion for the race, nothing...

Hmm. What's up with that? Has there been television coverage for the rest of the season? No answer from the URL they have for the Mexico race on the Champ Car web site.
:confused:

RTKar
08-29-04, 09:44 PM
I thought Dinger was screwed by the call myself. Bourdais left an opening, AJ tried using it and Bourdais turned in on him. Agressive on Dingers part?..certainly, however had Montoya or Schumi tried it, the announcers would have been raving at the boldness not condemning it. I hope the stewards don't turn this kid into a driving puppet, he's a big part of our future, we can't afford to lose him.

Ziggy
08-29-04, 10:31 PM
Ah, that tricky late turn in by Seabass might work when passing some wankers, but a hungry AJ saw it as an oppertunity. 'Dinger got the shaft, (how about a stout car)! I thought Sebastian handled the interview with some dignity, as it appeared to me that he knew of the errors of his ways, yet was not going to admit to anything. He did'nt run AJ down either :cool:

I thought the race was pretty good in all respects. Crowd, participants, crews and drivers. TV coverage is still the same, and the fuel window fiasco has got to go.

Methanolandbrats
08-29-04, 10:41 PM
Ziggy is wise. :thumbup:

Willam
08-29-04, 10:51 PM
Hmm. What's up with that? Has there been television coverage for the rest of the season? No answer from the URL they have for the Mexico race on the Champ Car web site.
:confused:

Every race had been shown by Fox Sports Latinoamerica live so far, except today. TV Azteca which usually shows all Champ Car races has only shown Long Beach and Monterrey (Maybe another one, can't recall) and this was the only way you could watch the races on network television, and this is of major importance since the percentage of people with cable in Mexico is minimal, something like 10% out of all TV's in the country. So we've got a case of 4 mexican drivers, 2 mexican races, no broadcasts and no promotion or ticket sales for the upcoming race... :shakehead

chop456
08-29-04, 11:15 PM
Decent race, bad calls. The F1 race was better.

Damn. Railbird used a smiley. He must be pissed off. :D

nrc
08-29-04, 11:23 PM
So we've got a case of 4 mexican drivers, 2 mexican races, no broadcasts and no promotion or ticket sales for the upcoming race... :shakehead

Especially considering that SuperMario may have won the race if it weren't for a faulty air gun. :/

mexican
08-29-04, 11:40 PM
Mario seemed to have the field under control until a front tire wrench puked out on him and had a 25 sec. pit stop

KLang
08-29-04, 11:41 PM
Ziggy.. :thumbup:

Especially considering that SuperMario may have won the race if it weren't for a faulty air gun. :/

Yep, before that pitstop Mario was maintainting a couple second lead on SB.

Regarding AJ, If he had been more aggressive at the start would any of the other stuff have happened?

RHR_Fan
08-29-04, 11:58 PM
Ryan :cry:

Insomniac
08-30-04, 04:17 PM
Ziggy.. :thumbup:

Yep, before that pitstop Mario was maintainting a couple second lead on SB.

Regarding AJ, If he had been more aggressive at the start would any of the other stuff have happened?

Then he could've taken Bourdais out on lap one. ;)

Insomniac
08-30-04, 04:18 PM
Mario seemed to have the field under control until a front tire wrench puked out on him and had a 25 sec. pit stop

Bourdais had closed his 4 sec gap down to 1 sec by the time Mario pit. I don't think he would've won the race (assuming Bourdais also finished).

Insomniac
08-30-04, 04:22 PM
I thought the race was pretty good in all respects. Crowd, participants, crews and drivers. TV coverage is still the same, and the fuel window fiasco has got to go.

I don't see a problem with this new Window thing. Better than the X number of green flag stops. If they're so concerned about yellow flag stops, then they should just clise the pits under yellow. And the only time they open it is after the cars are bunched up and one car is within a predetermined window and has to stop. With that said, the effort to avoid FCYs seems to be helping.

Insomniac
08-30-04, 04:24 PM
I guess they don't want anyone ever attempting a pass for the lead unless they're absolutely, 100% certain that they can do it with no mistakes - no driving at ten tenths least you should step over the limit, make a mistake and ruin your race with a penalty. Get in line, stay there and collect your "good result."

If A.J. had blown the corner completely and just made it impossible for Seabass I could understand, but it wasn't that big an error. As TK said, they're essentially saying that there is no such thing as "a racing incident" and if that's the case I want to know why there were no penalties for Tags on the start for pushing Tracy off and then hitting AJ.

On the flip side of this, people always talk about how this discourages passing. It also encourages blocking at the same time. There is more incentive to block knowing the other guy knows he better not punt you or take that risk becuase it may incur a penalty.

I say everything is a racing incident unless PT is the victim. ;)