PDA

View Full Version : Another series sponsor rumor

nrc
08-28-04, 04:02 PM
The Toronto start throws AOL/Time Warner into the series sponsor mix.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1093645213679&call_pageid=1044529390035&col=1044529387291

The Milwaukee Road Runner sponsorship comes to mind. Anyone know if there's an OWRS connection that would be helping to bring Time Warner into the fold? Of course, once again lets remember that a "series sponsorship" doesn't necessarily mean a "title sponsorship."

The other rumor I saw floating around for sponsorship was DHL. That would make sense. If they're determined to do fly-away races they need someone to give them a deal so they can pocket some of the shipping money.

Title sponsor or not, every bit helps. Right now I don't care whether they give out diecasts at McDonalds or put schedules on shipping envelopes. It would be nice, but right now I'm more concerned about sponsors buying signage, hospitality and TV ads that will support the series and its promoters. Those are the things CART lost that made the series insolvent, not promos and gimmicks of questionable value.

dando
08-28-04, 04:16 PM
The Toronto start throws AOL/Time Warner into the series sponsor mix.

AOL has a co-marketing deal w/NASCAB, and of course sponsors one of the Childress cars. I thought that deal was for 5 years when it was signed ~5 years ago. The Time Warner tie-in makes more sense, especially considering the Road Runner angle. the only OWRS linkage I would suspect would be through PLN. Time Warner was a distributor for the film.

-Kevin

Railbird
08-28-04, 04:41 PM
If there's anything to this at all it's a great deal as the opps for exposure are endless. If AOL is on the fence I hope OWRS is making their pitch at Montreal.

RTKar
08-28-04, 06:24 PM
If there's anything to this at all it's a great deal as the opps for exposure are endless. If AOL is on the fence I hope OWRS is making their pitch at Montreal.

As a Time-Warner stock holder, I vote yes. Multi media exposure would be great.