PDA

View Full Version : Who said our series is dead? they should come to Montreal!

Rogue Leader
08-27-04, 09:06 PM
I'm having a GREAT time here in Montreal. Whoever said our series is dead must be smoking something... the Stands I'm in (Zanardi, with Andretti next to it) are PACKED for Friday pracitice and qualifying!! Btw everyone here (in those stands) is a Tagliani fan, so that makes it even more fun for me.

I got paddock passes which are awesome because I got to meet Tag, PT, and AJ, plus got autographs from like everyone. I almost tripped Justin Wilson while throwing out my cup of Molson Dry (blech... that stuff is horrid), nearly got run over by Paul Newman on his scooter (he could run over me anytime Id take one for the team!), and I said hi to Gaston Mazzacane too, he doesnt seem like a bad guy. Jimmy and Ryan were cool too for the 3 seconds I interacted with them. BTW Bronte is HOTTER in real life... trust me. Well all the women here are hot... you have a lot of hot canadians! I wasnt able to meet Pat, he had to leave to run the 2 seater, but man talk about friend to the fans, he was posing for pictures with everyone shaking hands, etc, the friendliest guy in the world. I REAAALLLLLY hope we dont lose him to the EARL.

MAN this hotel computer runs like a 386!

RTKar
08-27-04, 09:19 PM
Happy Birthday...sounds like you're having a great time. :thumbup:

Shippy
08-27-04, 10:56 PM
I was there today too, the paddocks were great weren't they? I saw a bunch of the drivers but I didn't get the nerve to really talk to them lol. Managed to get autographs during the autograph session tho, did anyone else notice how unhappy Haberfeld was during it? He wouldnt even look up and he sat slumped against his corner the whole time :shakehead I also don't dislike Nelson Philippe as much now, he was really nice and even went out of his way to let my friend get a picture of him. he still looks like fabio tho. Having never been to the paddock before, it was a great experience, can't wait to get back there tomorrow.

sundaydriver2
08-28-04, 10:08 AM
did anyone else notice how unhappy Haberfeld was during it? He wouldnt even look up and he sat slumped against his corner the whole time

If you were running the only Reynard, you'd be pissed too. They need to get him into a LOLA!!!

Rogue Leader
08-28-04, 05:59 PM
Thanks RT... Today I met Seabass, and Paul Gentilozzi and Neal Mickelwright. Saw Carl Haas a bunch more times, saw Paul Newman again too. for some reason I really dont have the balls to talk to Paul Newman, everyone else no problem, but Paul... I dunno. Basically saw everyone else a bunch more times too riding by and stuff, thats the coolest part.

I really wanna meet Patrick, maybe tomorrow, and I need to get a pic with Tag, I talked with him a while but didnt get a picture with him.

I said to PG "thanks for saving our series" and he said "NO, thank you for supporting us!" Great guy!

Shippy
08-28-04, 06:11 PM
Thanks RT... Today I met Seabass, and Paul Gentilozzi and Neal Mickelwright. Saw Carl Haas a bunch more times, saw Paul Newman again too. for some reason I really dont have the balls to talk to Paul Newman, everyone else no problem, but Paul... I dunno. Basically saw everyone else a bunch more times too riding by and stuff, thats the coolest part.

I really wanna meet Patrick, maybe tomorrow, and I need to get a pic with Tag, I talked with him a while but didnt get a picture with him.

I said to PG "thanks for saving our series" and he said "NO, thank you for supporting us!" Great guy!

How are you getting pictures with them? Do you go really early? I'm just a big chicken I guess, the minute I see them I somehow forget how to use words and form complete sentences. Bruno asked me how I was during the autograph session and instead of replying with "good, and you?" like a normal person, I just said, "you" and looked like a complete idiot. oh well :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
08-28-04, 06:22 PM
Bruno asked me how I was during the autograph session and instead of replying with "good, and you?" like a normal person, I just said, "you" and looked like a complete idiot. oh well :shakehead

Oh, so you were whiney? :laugh: ;)

TravelGal
08-28-04, 08:01 PM
I just said, "you" and looked like a complete idiot. oh well :shakehead

So, you made him feel at home then. heheheh. (That was begging to be said.)

Overall, there isn't a nicer group of people in this world than the Champ Car drivers AND their teams. Next time it will be much easier. Trust me on that one. Just as long as you don't get between them and the race car on race day (or the Portapottie), you'll be fine.

Rogue Leader
08-28-04, 09:33 PM
Yeah I just walk up and talk to em. For example I saw AJ and I just said "Hey AJ how ya doin?" and he talked to me. Then I asked "hey can we take a picture AJ?" and he was like Sure! They are just regular guys, who happen to do extraordinary things in a race car! Tag I have spoken to before on the phone about racing sponsorship once so he wasnt hard to approach. The guys from the team too will tell you anything, they are cool as hell. For some reason I cant grow the balls to talk to Paul Newman though, I dunno why.

Guy Smith had an Alpinestars hat on and i had an Alpinestars shirt on so I said to him "nice hat" and he gives me a "WTF?" look and says "thanks"... then i tapped him and pointed to my shirt... he was like OHHHHH....

Shippy
08-29-04, 12:08 AM
Thanks alot for the words of encouragement guys. Hopefully tomorrow i'll get the chance to see some of them. I'm trying to get my friend to go earlier but shes the one with the car so I can't say much as long as shes driving me lol. Took some good pics this weekend tho, so at least I got that even if I dont get any of me with the drivers.

Lizzerd
08-29-04, 12:42 AM
Shippy, if you catch the drivers at an un-busy time, they WILL talk to you. They're regular guys for the most part. Get near Carp and yell "Patreeeeek!!!" Naw... just kidding...

Just be cool, and they will be too. Just realize what time of day it is and know what the schedule is for figuiring out if they are un-busy or not.

Wish I was there...

jonovision_man
08-29-04, 07:13 AM
It's a big adjustment if you're used to F1, where access to drivers is basically zero...

Sort of has to be though, I was reading something about NASCAR that as the popularity sky-rocketted, the access to drivers had to be restricted due to the tremendous interest in them, they just couldn't accomidate the fans like they used to. Maybe a NASCAR event attender around here could shed some light?

jono

Rogue Leader
08-29-04, 07:50 PM
Another good day there, didnt meet anyone new today, everyone was too busy (understandable). I did see Tag after the race and i wanted to get a pic with him, he didnt have time the other day when I talkd to him, but he looked exhausted, I said let the man have some peace. I also saw PT at the airport, (was behind him in line) but I didnt wanna bother him for the same reason. Also saw Dale Coyne, and Gaston Mazzacane there, I gave Gaston a wave.

Of course though all flights from montreal are grounded due to the weather, so I wont be back till tomorrow. :mad: I'll post some observatoions tomorrow...

theunions
08-30-04, 04:14 AM
Sort of has to be though, I was reading something about NASCAR that as the popularity sky-rocketted, the access to drivers had to be restricted due to the tremendous interest in them, they just couldn't accomidate the fans like they used to. Maybe a NASCAR event attender around here could shed some light?

Yes, prior to the 2003 season NASCAR officially prohibited autograph seeking in the garage area (no doubt after the suggestion of some harassed drivers). At the time they suggested there would be some designated area nearby/scheduled times during every race weekend where formal CART/IRL style autograph sessions would be held, but apart from a smattering of tracks doing so on their own accord, I don't know if this has ever been implemented.

I keep saying NASCAR fans, most of whom could never get into the garage area anyway before the above restriction was implemented, have no idea what they're missing by not knowing how relatively easily they can meet/how close they can get to ChampCar drivers.