PDA

View Full Version : Eau Rouge Flat Out

RTKar
08-27-04, 08:29 AM
From the Friday practice session, the Speed guys mentioned everyone should be flat through Eau Rouge doing about 192mph... :eek:

...later on....Briscoe with a big shunt their. Tore a couple wheels off.

Glad to see Spa back. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
08-27-04, 08:46 AM
Going to be a great weekend. Spa and Montreal. It's even fun to watch cabs crash under the lights in that fishbowl.

Railbird
08-27-04, 08:51 AM
Worth getting up early for, even when you're on vacation.

To top it off Schumi spins right in front of me

RTKar
08-27-04, 08:59 AM

Ha, Ha...I am... :D

Cam
08-27-04, 09:07 AM

Crap! I missed it! Damn work commute! :cry:

Methanolandbrats
08-27-04, 09:14 AM
Crap! I missed it! Damn work commute! :cry:
Repeated tonight at 11 EST

Easy
08-27-04, 09:34 AM
From the Friday practice session, the Speed guys mentioned everyone should be flat through Eau Rouge doing about 192mph... :eek:
:thumbup:

On Ant Davidson's onboard camera it looked effortless. Amazing what a couple hundred million a year can produce.

Michaelhatesfans
08-27-04, 10:08 AM
On Ant Davidson's onboard camera it looked effortless. Amazing what a couple hundred million a year can produce.
With the advances with car design, it's not quite the challenge that it used to be - but still a *****ty place to have something go wrong! :eek:

RTKar
08-27-04, 10:29 AM
Easy & Michaelhatesfans, it seems like only yesterday when the argument was that drivers boasting about doing Eau Rouge flat were actually lifting. Remember JV bragging about taking it flat out and how extraordinary it seemed? There was an interesting comment during the broadcast regarding Berger taking it flat while Senna didn't due to a higher downforce set up. The guys mentioned the days of taking Eau Rouge doing 177 mph and now it's over 190. It still amazes me guys hurtling through the section, it's what racing should be all about. Hopefully I'll make it their soon to witness it myself.

Chitowncartfreak
08-27-04, 10:44 AM

True, but Sato had a lap where he had it everywhere but straight coming out of Eau Rouge. I think it is still on the edge if you start taking off too much downforce.

Easy
08-27-04, 11:09 AM
True, but Sato had a lap where he had it everywhere but straight coming out of Eau Rouge. I think it is still on the edge if you start taking off too much downforce.

Definitely. The challenge is still great. Whether the car is right or not, the margin for error at 190+ is getting very small.

What are they hitting at the end of the Kemmel straight? Has to be damn fast if they're doing Eau Rouge at close to 200mph.

Michaelhatesfans
08-27-04, 11:12 AM
Easy & Michaelhatesfans, it seems like only yesterday when the argument was that drivers boasting about doing Eau Rouge flat were actually lifting. Remember JV bragging about taking it flat out and how extraordinary it seemed? There was an interesting comment during the broadcast regarding Berger taking it flat while Senna didn't due to a higher downforce set up. The guys mentioned the days of taking Eau Rouge doing 177 mph and now it's over 190. It still amazes me guys hurtling through the section, it's what racing should be all about. Hopefully I'll make it their soon to witness it myself.
I remember Villeneuve's race engineer telling him that if he couldn't take Eau Rouge flat, that he was "a big girls blouse." JV couldn't ignore the challenge, and on the next lap broke his car in half at the exit of Eau Rouge! D'oh!

You're right, it hasn't been that long ago when they would pull out the telemetry to prove a driver wrong about lifting.

And if you only go to one Grand Prix, or you only make one trip to Europe in your life - GO!!! That track has to be seen to be believed. The cameras never catch the elevation change, or how spooky Eau Rouge looks as the cars blast through there. It really is a phenomenal track.

pinniped
08-27-04, 12:22 PM
Anyone remember the story about Mikey being asked (after his early departure from the Belgian Grand Prix) if there was anything like Eau Rouge in the States and he just shook his head and said "no."

Chitowncartfreak
08-27-04, 12:52 PM
I remember Villeneuve's race engineer telling him that if he couldn't take Eau Rouge flat, that he was "a big girls blouse." JV couldn't ignore the challenge, and on the next lap broke his car in half at the exit of Eau Rouge! D'oh!

You're right, it hasn't been that long ago when they would pull out the telemetry to prove a driver wrong about lifting.

And if you only go to one Grand Prix, or you only make one trip to Europe in your life - GO!!! That track has to be seen to be believed. The cameras never catch the elevation change, or how spooky Eau Rouge looks as the cars blast through there. It really is a phenomenal track.

I remember reading somewhere about the Villeneuve accident. Apparently, when he got in the medical car, he was smiling from ear to ear. When someone asked him why he was so happy considering what he just went through, Jacques just smiled and said, "I didn't lift."

Michaelhatesfans
08-28-04, 02:56 AM
Villeneuve and Zonta, in case you missed them... it was an expensive weekend for BAR! :cool:
http://people.freenet.de/f1network/video13_d.htm

RTKar
08-28-04, 08:47 AM
In the wet... :thumbup: :cool:

indyfan31
08-29-04, 12:00 AM
Should be interesting watching Schumacher try to chase down those two Renaults, you know they'll get away at the start.

Lizzerd
08-29-04, 12:32 AM
I can't wait to hear what Crapus has to say about the weekend, and the PICS! Should be awesome. :thumbup:

Spicoli
08-29-04, 08:15 AM
I can't wait to hear what Crapus has to say about the weekend, and the PICS! Should be awesome. :thumbup:

Yes. But he still sucks.

Dirty Sanchez
08-30-04, 03:46 PM
I'm sucking in Denmark right now, JC. :p

I have tons of pics. I will try to find some time to get these up this week sometime.

Spa is it. Nothing comes close. :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
08-30-04, 04:09 PM
One teaser :D

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album68/montoya_eaurouge.jpg

nz_climber
08-30-04, 04:12 PM
nice pic mr crapus :) I look forward to the rest :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
08-30-04, 05:36 PM
One teaser :D

You can't do that!!! :thumdown: :laugh: