PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor Announcement: Friday, 12:30 pm ET

The Doctor
08-26-04, 01:42 PM
Most excellent. :thumbup: Good to get it out of the way early in the weekend. Nice to finally know, too. :thumbup:

From champweb --

WHAT: Champ Car World Series Sponsorship Announcement

WHO: Kevin Kalkhoven, co-owner Champ Car World SeriesPaul Newman, co-owner Newman/Haas Racing, Dick Eidswick, President, Champ Car World Series along with representatives from sponsor

WHEN: Friday, August 27, 12:30 p.m.

Spicoli
08-26-04, 01:56 PM
:)

Someone PLEASE post this up on gomerforum.

nrc
08-26-04, 02:03 PM
Keep in mind that "series sponsorship" does not necessarily mean "title sponsorship."

But it's very good news regardless.

Chaos
08-26-04, 02:04 PM
Keep in mind that "series sponsorship" does not necessarily mean "title sponsorship."

But it's very good news regardless.

every bit helps

Methanolandbrats
08-26-04, 02:06 PM
So now it will be called the "_________ Champcar World Series"?

2DB
08-26-04, 02:10 PM
I am definitely not "in the know" but it seem that if they want Hud on stage with them there must be a connection. How about the "Mc'CCWS"? Kind of has a ring to it!!! Do you want fries with that Lola?

Kelvis

Fenster
08-26-04, 02:17 PM
Well, we can guess the reason why Paul Newman would be there. :)

Methanolandbrats
08-26-04, 02:19 PM
Well, we can guess the reason why Paul Newman would be there. :) He could just be there so he can grab the mic and get off an FTG :D

JoeBob
08-26-04, 02:54 PM
Series Sponsorship could mean anything from the _____ ChampCar World Series to ________ - the official _______ of the ChampCar World Series.

RTKar
08-26-04, 03:03 PM
Hopefully it'll be substantial, not some Bosch spark plugs of Guatemala thing.

Spicoli
08-26-04, 03:35 PM
He could just be there so he can grab the mic and get off an FTG :D

I would rename by boys "Paul" and "Newman" if'n he done that.

He did ask us at RA what the FTG stood for.

Yep, he's a hater. ;) LMFAO.....

RTKar
08-26-04, 03:49 PM
Yep, he's a hater. ;) LMFAO.....

I would imagine that encompasses just about everyone of us that's still standing as a Champcar fan... :cool:

DjDrOmusic
08-26-04, 08:56 PM
I'm still thinking a McDonalds/Coca Cola co-sponsorship, I don't know why, it just seems like a natural.

mantom
08-27-04, 02:26 AM
I'm still thinking a McDonalds/Coca Cola co-sponsorship, I don't know why, it just seems like a natural.

Yeah, the McChamp Car World Series powered by Coke. That'll go over real good.

Robstar
08-27-04, 02:49 AM
Yeah, the McChamp Car World Series powered by Coke. That'll go over real good.

:rofl:

oddlycalm
08-27-04, 06:06 AM
Hopefully it'll be substancial, not some Bosch spark plugs of Guatemala thing.

:rofl: ....on the other hand Nippondenso of Fiji has a nice ring to it...

Makes me recall of some of the threads about weird/obscure/dinky sponsors we've had over the years at 7G.... Provimi Veal comes to mind. Then there was Hannah Car Wash sponsoring Mario. An "A" for enthusiasm for Dan Hannah, but that sponsorship check pretty much bankrupted his poor little company.

Anyway, here's hoping it's a great announcement. :thumbup:

oc

dando
08-27-04, 12:48 PM
News? I don't see anything about this on the CCWS site yet. I getting tired holding onto my socks.... ;)

-Kevin

Tim
08-27-04, 12:55 PM
McDonalds will be the official fast food restaurant. Hopefully some marketing will come out of it.

pchall
08-27-04, 12:59 PM
McDonalds will be the official fast food restaurant. Hopefully some marketing will come out of it.

I bet you were hoping for Culver's or Cousins. ;)

theunions
08-27-04, 01:59 PM
McDONALD'S(r) BECOMES OFFICIAL FAST FOOD RESTAURANT OF CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES

MONTREAL (August 27, 2004) - The Champ Car World Series and the world's leading fast-food chain McDonald's(r) today announced a partnership that will see the restaurant chain serve as the "Official Fast Food Restaurant of Champ Car" through the 2006 season.

The three-year agreement was announced today at the Molson Indy Montreal, Round 10 of the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford, which runs August 27-29 on the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada.

"Champ Car is very pleased to announce this partnership with a great company like McDonald's," said Champ Car CEO Dick Eidswick. "We look forward to a long and successful relationship as we continue to build a solid future for the Champ Car World Series. What could be better?"

McDonald's joined the Newman/Haas Racing team last season for three Champ Car races, and expanded this year to see the fast-food giant become the full-season primary sponsor for the #2 McDonald's Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone for points leader Sebastien Bourdais. The agreement between McDonald's and Champ Car will run concurrently with the Newman/Haas team's Champ Car sponsorship through the end of the 2006 Champ Car World Series season.

"McDonald's is very proud of its association with Newman/Haas Racing and is proud to become the "Official Fast Food Restaurant of The Champ Car World Series," said Director of Alliances, McDonald's USA, John Lewicki. "We look forward to a successful relationship together."

"McDonald's serves over 20 million meals every day in the U.S. then throw in the rest of the world and that's a lot of hamburgers and salads," said Paul Newman, co-owner of Newman/Haas Racing. "To have a company like McDonald's involved with the Champ Car World Series is exactly the kind of partnership that will help us reach our current and potential fans and to triumph in the battle to build this sport that we are so passionate about."

FCYTravis
08-27-04, 02:12 PM
:thumbup:

This dead series :rolleyes: sure looks like it's headed in the right direction :cool:

KLang
08-27-04, 02:22 PM
Three years. :thumbup:

Ya baby :cool:

anait
08-27-04, 03:00 PM
"McDonald's serves over 20 million meals every day in the U.S. then throw in the rest of the world and that's a lot of hamburgers and salads," said Paul Newman, co-owner of Newman/Haas Racing. "To have a company like McDonald's involved with the Champ Car World Series is exactly the kind of partnership that will help us reach our current and potential fans and to triumph in the battle to build this sport that we are so passionate about."

:thumbup: Paul, we love ya.

Wabbit
08-27-04, 05:56 PM
I know flames will come for this remark....

Why would an "Official fast food company" sponsorship mean anything? When someone talks series sponsorship, I think more in lines of PPG or FedEx.

KLang
08-27-04, 06:02 PM
IMO it will be meaningful IF they do some advertising.

RaceGrrl
08-27-04, 06:02 PM
Why would an "Official fast food company" sponsorship mean anything? When someone talks series sponsorship, I think more in lines of PPG or FedEx.

Because any kind of visible sponsorship by a company as large and well-known as McDonald's gives legitimacy to the organizations it supports.

Anteater
08-27-04, 06:09 PM
Thank you, McDonald's! :thumbup: :D Now I wanna see some Champ Car diecasts in Happy Meals! They've done those in the past.

RTKar
08-27-04, 08:41 PM

"Cuzz" it's better than not having them .....I guess.

jonovision_man
08-27-04, 08:51 PM
Because any kind of visible sponsorship by a company as large and well-known as McDonald's gives legitimacy to the organizations it supports.

Bingo. It's more about optics than providing free burgers.

I wonder if there is a series sponsor coming?

jono

nrc
08-27-04, 09:05 PM

Everyone who sponsors the series (as opposed to, for instance, an event or team) is a "series sponsor." What you're thinking of is generally called a "title sponsor."

Railbird
08-27-04, 09:05 PM
Not a bad deal at all for a niche series, "legitimacy" is indeed the strong addition here as some have tried to portray the series as a pariah in the business community

IMO this is another example of how hard PLN is working to regenerate the series