PDA

View Full Version : RM's latest musings

dando
08-25-04, 09:00 PM
linky (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/12626/)

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENTS

Word in the Champ Car camp is that a major title sponsor for the series could be announced as early at this weekend at Montreal.

"We've got a couple of key meetings this week but I believe we will have some major announcements during the next few weeks," replied Kevin Kalkhoven, when asked about the rumor. "Let's just say I've been pleasantly surprised by the calibre of companies who have shown interest in Champ Car's future.

"Especially considering we're supposed to be dead."

Even though Bridgestone and Ford are currently presenting sponsors, Champ Car hasn't had a title sponsor since FedEx went away following the 2002 season. And that particular partnership did a lot more for FedEx than it did for Champ Cars.

It's believed Ford's divisions in Canada, Mexico and South America (Champ Car will be racing in Argentina in 2005) are going to be part of the sponsorship package, which may also include McDonald's, which currently sponsors point leader Sebastien Bourdais.

The title sponsor, according to Gentilozzi, is a "big hitter."

Sounds promising! :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-25-04, 10:17 PM
Any speculation from anyone?

Methanolandbrats
08-25-04, 10:35 PM
Damn, a return to the old sock tether routine :)

Spicoli
08-25-04, 10:51 PM
Any speculation from anyone?

Yep.

Cam
08-25-04, 11:11 PM
Yep.

Love those short but informative posts! :gomer: ;)

4wheeldrifter
08-26-04, 07:05 AM
Northern Lights or Pep Boys?

:p

cart7
08-26-04, 07:38 AM
I heard it's some company called TBA. Don't know anything about them or what the TBA is short for. :gomer:

Insomniac
08-26-04, 08:23 AM
Yep.

I was actully going to ask you directly. ;)

Is it a public company, if so, what is their Market Cap roughly?

JT265
08-26-04, 09:09 AM
I was actully going to ask you directly. ;)

Is it a public company, if so, what is their Market Cap roughly?

That's sensitive info. Go to www.gooberforum.com and ask for Wilke.

Or any one of his/her/it's 27 separate and distinct personalities.

Cam
08-26-04, 09:19 AM

OOH!!!! OOH!!! That domain is available!!!! Must resist the urge to register........... :D

RaceGrrl
08-26-04, 09:37 AM
C'mon, Spicoli.... spill it. You know you want to.

nrc
08-26-04, 11:05 AM
Although some rumors say it will be Mack Dunals others say that MDs will be the official fast food and Ford will step up to title sponsorship.

pchall
08-26-04, 11:50 AM
Although some rumors say it will be Mack Dunals others say that MDs will be the official fast food and Ford will step up to title sponsorship.

If McD's steps up with a series sponsorship, I still will be hard pressed to buy their products. The last thing I appreciated from them when forced to eat fast food on the road was an Arch DeLuxeâ„¢ that kept me going after Louisville on an Alabama to Ohio run in 1996.

ps: I think it it will be a NAFTA related Ford deal from Canada down to Argentina.

RTKar
08-26-04, 11:56 AM
...and a CBS tv deal. I think that was discussed at the RA fan forum.

Methanolandbrats
08-26-04, 11:58 AM
If McD's steps up with a series sponsorship, I still will be hard pressed to buy their products.

McChicken and side salad with Newman's Balsamic Vinegar Dressing. Both from dollar menu. A $2 lunch that supports Champcar.

DjDrOmusic
08-26-04, 12:03 PM
Speculation....HMMMMMM...big hitters....here goes....

Bridgestone presents the McDonalds Champcar World Series for the Coca Cola Cup powered by Ford

;) :D

pchall
08-26-04, 12:17 PM
McChicken and side salad with Newman's Balsamic Vinegar Dressing. Both from dollar menu. A $2 lunch that supports Champcar.

For $2 I'd get two salads.

Anybody here remember McD's brief, misguided, and rarely ordered flirtation with Johnsonville and their brats?

Steve99
08-26-04, 12:19 PM
I wonder where RM got these quotes. Is the still waiting for Paul Newman to call him back?

tllips
08-26-04, 12:25 PM
For $2 I'd get two salads.

Anybody here remember McD's brief, misguided, and rarely ordered flirtation with Johnsonville and their brats?

I tried one of those brats in The Dells last year. It was OK. I prefer mine chargrilled longer.

My dad loved the things and that would be the only way he would go to McD's for the couple of summers they offered them in ChiTown.

Spicoli
08-26-04, 12:41 PM
The rumors and specualtion are all out there on various websites. I'm not gonna jinx it.

I can tell you this: We heard from N/H guys, Billy Kamphausen, and some other folks who would certainly know, and it looks very promising. VERY promising.

McDonald's involvement is no secret. CBS TV is no secret, there are 2 other companies I have heard mentioned often as well, but I'll leave that to your imagination and investigation. When it happens is anyone's guess, but we were told to tune in closely at Montreal.

What's really important is that CCWS initiates sposnorships that are outside the traditional realm of Engine manufacturers. Look at all the so-called "sponsors on the sidepods" in EARL. They are basically hangers-on from CART days; companies in b2b relationships with Homco & Yoda. You know what will happen when they leave. Talk about scorched earth. Nobody is in bed with EARL on a sponsorship level save for 2 reasons: They wanna play with YenMotors; they want exposure at IMS. Nobody is watching the other races, and nobody goes to them (on their own dime). CCWS is in a position like giving up a nasty cigarette addicition. Hurts now, but will pay off big time down the road.

I suspect we will see Ford and a certain German engine manufacturer as engine suppliers in 06 and beyond. That will bring serious interest and money to the series. But each team needs to get busy with team level sponsors. There are alot of lazy team marketing departments - but conversely, its tough to sell "vaporware" and an everchanging sched. We're gonna get there, I have no doubt. But TG & EARL are out to destroy us at the same level of intensity as they were 2 or 8 years ago. Signifacant efforts have to be made to fight them off, and so far I like what I see.

RTKar
08-26-04, 12:58 PM
"I have no doubt. But TG & EARL are out to destroy us at the same level of intensity as they were 2 or 8 years ago."

Sam Posey made an interesting referrence on Wind Tunnel the other night to something that Lincoln said during the Civil War. Lincoln wanted his Generals to attack the Rebel Army not to concentrate on taking territory. Posey mentioned tg has "taken" the army (ie: the strong former CART teams) yet he's yet to win the war. So now, he's after our territory, our road courses and if he's succesful on them he'll have won the war. Personally, I don't think TG can win the hearts of road course fans therefore he won't win the war. He's tried every tactic so far, taking teams, mfg's, sponsors, drivers, oval tracks and now he's after road racing. One thing though he'll never succeed in, is taking the hearts of true motorsports fans

Fenster
08-26-04, 01:38 PM
Tony George is no Abe Lincoln, I can tell you that. If Sam Posey wants to draw on history for a comparison, I would suggest General Custer at Little Big Horn. Tony George is making just as arrogant a move when he steps onto road/street courses. And just like Custer, I think it will prove to be his undoing. But we shall see.

Insomniac
08-26-04, 02:26 PM

eh?

theunions
08-26-04, 02:49 PM

I'd never even heard of it, in part because that never made it down here. OTOH, I betcha can't buy saimin, Portuguese sausage or Spam at YOUR local McD's. :rofl:

RTKar
08-26-04, 03:05 PM
I'd never even heard of it, in part because that never made it down here. OTOH, I betcha can't buy saimin, Portuguese sausage or Spam at YOUR local McD's. :rofl:

Yum Yum, new ways to become a fat *** at McD's. :saywhat:

pchall
08-26-04, 03:42 PM

I have a special place in my heart for chorizo in a bun with shredded cheese and onions. Just where the myocardial infarction starts...

TravelGal
08-26-04, 04:42 PM
linky (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/12626/) "Especially considering we're supposed to be dead."

Don't know where RM's getting his quotes but ya gotta admit, that sounds like Kevin! :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
08-26-04, 04:51 PM
Personally, I don't think TG can win the hearts of road course fans therefore he won't win the war.

I don't know. TG is quoted in the latest Racer mag as say "You won't believe the countless emails he's received from fans calling for openwheel racing to return to Sonoma and WG"

Yeah right :rofl:

mueber
08-26-04, 05:24 PM
Yum Yum, new ways to become a fat *** at McD's. :saywhat:

Jeez, obviously becoming the title sponsor of Champ Car gets you all kinds of respect from the fans. :rolleyes:

RTKar
08-26-04, 05:54 PM
Jeez, obviously becoming the title sponsor of Champ Car gets you all kinds of respect from the fans. :rolleyes:

Read the whole qoute and notice what's highlighted sporto... Portuguese sausage or Spam at YOUR local McD's. ...it's more a referrence to McD's menu and it's lack of healthy choices.....SPAM ???... :saywhat: ... :rolleyes: ...NOT an attack of Champcar getting McDonalds as a title sponsor.

Methanolandbrats
08-26-04, 05:56 PM
Jeez, obviously becoming the title sponsor of Champ Car gets you all kinds of respect from the fans. :rolleyes: Ya, no sheet. If you guys don't want to eat their food, just email em and thank for sponsoring Champcar and then drive thru and toss some change in the donation box. :D

CART T. Katz
08-26-04, 06:00 PM
i had been thinking about mentioning to the owner of the mcd that i work at that we should do a special promotion for everytime seabass wins a race. it would be especially appropriate because we are in the indianapolis region.

looks like it may be forthcoming without my mentioning anything. :thumbup:

RTKar
08-26-04, 06:32 PM
...and may I add ...I prefer Culver's and Steak and Shake in my quest to expand my waist line and raise my cholesterol, however I will support Champcar by continuing to stop for McD's fries whenever I feel the munchies coming along... :p

Mike Kellner
08-26-04, 08:47 PM
I just hope is is not Clabber Girl.

mk

pchall
08-26-04, 09:43 PM
...and may I add ...I prefer Culver's and Steak and Shake in my quest to expand my waist line and raise my cholesterol, however I will support Champcar by continuing to stop for McD's fries whenever I feel the munchies coming along... :p

LOL. Culver's custard killed many a diet plan.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-26-04, 11:05 PM
Tony George is no Abe Lincoln, I can tell you that. If Sam Posey wants to draw on history for a comparison, I would suggest General Custer at Little Big Horn. Tony George is making just as arrogant a move when he steps onto road/street courses. And just like Custer, I think it will prove to be his undoing. But we shall see.As a fan of the late, great George A. Custer, I must take exception to what you said because it just isn't true.

Custer was ORDERED on a search and destroy mission against the Sioux and Cheyenne encampments. Custer also had two subordinates (Benteen and Reno) who A) didn't like him B) were both drunks and C) either through negligence or cowardice didn't support the good general.

TG is going on a search and destroy mission of open wheel because A) he's an idiot B) he's an egomaniacal moron and C) he surrounds himself with stooges and yes men that kowtow to him

Spicoli
08-26-04, 11:09 PM
I just hope is is not Clabber Girl.

mk

He's busy this weekend.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/r/gristim/a7.jpg

:gomer:

Jag_Warrior
08-27-04, 01:08 AM
As a fan of the late, great George A. Custer, I must take exception to what you said because it just isn't true.

Custer was ORDERED on a search and destroy mission against the Sioux and Cheyenne encampments. Custer also had two subordinates (Benteen and Reno) who A) didn't like him B) were both drunks and C) either through negligence or cowardice didn't support the good general.

TG is going on a search and destroy mission of open wheel because A) he's an idiot B) he's an egomaniacal moron and C) he surrounds himself with stooges and yes men that kowtow to him

And like the Sioux, millions of open wheel formula car fan have spoken, by tuning out the Indy 500 and the IRL. Now who wants to volunteer to run the needles through Coke Boy's ears, so that he'll hear better in the next world? If we really follow history, somebody's gotta hack off his tender bits too, right? :)

FCYTravis
08-27-04, 01:26 AM
I don't know. TG is quoted in the latest race as say "You won't believe the countless emails he's received from fans calling for openwheel racing to return to Sonoma and WG"

Yeah right :rofl:

Is there any OW racing fan left who remembers the last time Champ Cars raced at Sonoma... and who wasn't at the time screaming loudly that RIGHT TURNS R 4 WIMPY FURRINERS and that REAR ENGINES ARE SATANIC DEVICES?
:laugh:

pchall
08-27-04, 06:13 AM
Is there any OW racing fan left who remembers the last time Champ Cars raced at Sonoma... and who wasn't at the time screaming loudly that RIGHT TURNS R 4 WIMPY FURRINERS and that REAR ENGINES ARE SATANIC DEVICES?
:laugh:

Me. I remember waiting impatiently for my weekly rag to see the results. Dan Gurney go his last champcar victory at Sears Point in 1970. Later that year it really hurt to read that USAC was going all oval for the championship trail.

FTG
08-27-04, 07:17 AM
Custer was arrogant and thought that because he had the best weapons, he couldn't lose.

Two qualities that have lead to defeat over and over again throughout history.

pchall
08-27-04, 10:29 AM
Custer was arrogant and thought that because he had the best weapons, he couldn't lose.

Two qualities that have lead to defeat over and over again throughout history.

When I took MilSci 101 the instructor said of Custer that it would be a near run thing today whether he should be courtmartialed and shot for dereliction of duty or hung as a war criminal.

guido
08-27-04, 01:28 PM
If you can not count, then I believe you could recieve "countless" E-mails. Remember 33 is just a number, that comes before and after a bunch of other numbers.