PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Rain tires

Andrew Longman
08-25-04, 03:25 PM
I meant to bring this up a few weeks ago...

During the Cup weekend at the Glen, M Waltrip was asked on one of those countless shows if they will race in the rain. I was blown away by his answer.

He said that "Goodyear hasn't made a rain tire since 1997 and its not a real good idea to race on 7 year old tires. So no we won't be doing it. Besides its a whole different deal and not much fun for the fans because they can't see anything through the spray."

Now I'm not that crazy about sitting in a downpour, but I'll do it. Better than going home.

But just because they have a warehouse full of tires too old to race on they can't make more? NASCAR and Goodyear don't have the money for that? That's a goofy answer.

Skater_36
08-25-04, 03:43 PM

During the Cup weekend at the Glen, M Waltrip was asked on one of those countless shows if they will race in the rain. I was blown away by his answer.

He said that "Goodyear hasn't made a rain tire since 1997 and its not a real good idea to race on 7 year old tires. So no we won't be doing it. Besides its a whole different deal and not much fun for the fans because they can't see anything through the spray."

Now I'm not that crazy about sitting in a downpour, but I'll do it. Better than going home.

But just because they have a warehouse full of tires too old to race on they can't make more? NASCAR and Goodyear don't have the money for that? That's a goofy answer.

Goofy people give goofy answers.

I think the real issue is that the NA$CAR drivers are challenged enough by the road courses in dry weather and the rain may be more of a challenge than most of them are up to.

RacinM3
08-25-04, 03:43 PM
I see where they're coming from. That's a lot of manufacturing investment for only 2 races a year, with only a chance of rain occurring at one or both events.

NASCAR will cancel or postpone any of their oval events in case of rain. This just makes their rules the same for all events they run.

Brickman
08-25-04, 03:45 PM

In reality it just doesn't make economic sense to even build all the sets of tires needed. They have Sears Point and Watkins Glen, it sprinkled once on a Saturday at SP before a race some ten years ago. Watkins Glen had one race shortened from 90 laps to 51, with Kyle Petty winning.

RichK
08-25-04, 03:45 PM
Somewhere in Australia, there are V8 Supercar drivers laughing at NASCAR.

pchall
08-25-04, 03:52 PM
Somehow, I can't believe that France Mafia hasn't lined up the "Official Wiper Blade Supplier of NASCAR". They must really be afraid of the carnage when the cabs get loose on damp asphalt.

RichK
08-25-04, 04:03 PM
Somehow, I can't believe that France Mafia hasn't lined up the "Official Wiper Blade Supplier of NASCAR". They must really be afraid of the carnage when the cabs get loose on damp asphalt.

:laugh: They'll probably sell the left side wiper blade agreement to one company, and the right side wiper blade to another. We'll have drivers ripping off wiper blades in Victory Circle. Chaos, I tellsya!

nz_climber
08-25-04, 04:11 PM
Somewhere in Australia, there are V8 Supercar drivers laughing at NASCAR.

:rofl: sounds about right :)

Rogue Leader
08-25-04, 06:03 PM
They had wiper setups for the cars and tested them at the Glen with rain tires and it worked well. But as he said the tires have sat since 1997, doesnt seem very cost effective for 2 races a year. BTW the road course races are BY FAR the most exciting NASCAR races, they should have more.

pfc_m_drake
08-25-04, 08:34 PM
Goofy people give goofy answers.

Indeed. Dated 8/17/2000 - and the article makes several references to the idea being a 'relatively new' one. In order for Mr. Waltrip's charges of Goodyear not making any rain tires since 1997, this test would have had to have been occurring on three (3) year old tires. Somehow I don't believe that was the case :saywhat:

http://www.autoracing1.com/GoodBoys/000817raintires.htm

RTKar
08-25-04, 08:51 PM
I see where they're coming from. That's a lot of manufacturing investment for only 2 races a year, with only a chance of rain occurring at one or both events.

NASCAR will cancel or postpone any of their oval events in case of rain. This just makes their rules the same for all events they run.

The tire mfg would probably get enough PR from one race in the rain to make it worth their while...and the main stream sports media would be astounded that anyone could possibly race in the rain, as if it had never been done before.

Steve99
08-25-04, 10:27 PM
They've had the rain tires at the tracks before and NASCAR has delayed on track activities rather than use. Why should Goodyear bother to make/bring them if they won't get used.

Methanolandbrats
08-25-04, 10:50 PM
They don't race in the rain because that's real road racing which requires racing drivers and racing cars.