PDA

View Full Version : Pike's Peak Update - Cheatin' Furriner Loses First Place

skaven
08-25-04, 12:19 AM
The Vision is upheld as some road-runnin' nancy-boy furriner from Europe gets disqualified and forfeits first place from the race at Pike's Peak on Sunday. :p

http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/race_results/2004_pikes_peak_marathon.htm

Seriously though, the real race in Colorado last weekend was ON Pike's Peak. I guess the Spaniard cut the course, so the win goes to a Boulder-ite. Ran my first race ever and thought I did ok at 6 hours and 42 minutes, until I found out that the guy I was trying to run down at the finish line was 62 years old... :saywhat:

cart7
08-25-04, 05:32 AM
Ran my first race ever and thought I did ok at 6 hours and 42 minutes, until I found out that the guy I was trying to run down at the finish line was 62 years old... :saywhat:

:laugh: Seriously, good job. I've spent a few vacations in the "Springs" and I can tell you I was huffin and puffin just walking up a moderate incline.

indyfan31
08-25-04, 09:56 AM
... until I found out that the guy I was trying to run down at the finish line was 62 years old... :saywhat:

I hate it when that happens. BTW, I managed to BEAT a 57- and 69-year-old in an ultra in Big Bear, CA. We were the last 3 people on the course, but I still beat 'em; I was so proud. :o

14000 FEET?! I can't imagine just hiking around at that altitude, much less trying to keep a 15 minute per mile pace. You're one tough dude. :thumbup:

Say, does anyone else find it peculiar that there were 4 spaniards in the top ten of a marathon in the middle of Colorado? :confused:

indyfan31
08-25-04, 09:58 AM
Hey Pinniped! Here's something to look forward to! ;)

skaven
08-25-04, 04:20 PM
BTW, I managed to BEAT a 57- and 69-year-old in an ultra in Big Bear, CA. We were the last 3 people on the course, but I still beat 'em; I was so proud. :o

Say, does anyone else find it peculiar that there were 4 spaniards in the top ten of a marathon in the middle of Colorado? :confused:

Just finishing a 100-mile ultra is awesome. :thumbup: How many hours (days) did it take you?

Regarding those trail-runnin' spanish furriners, they were flying past us on their way down. Not sure all the details, but they must be competing in the Buff Skyrunner World Series. From the introduction page on their website, "I'm confident this high altitude "Formula 1 circuit" represents an enviable force that the new fitness community and the whole outdoor world will look up to."

http://www.buffskyrunner.com/

Either that or they are trying to qualify for the granddaddy of them all - the Indianapolis Marathon on October 16th. :p

chop456
08-25-04, 04:59 PM
See, Skaven? Don't you wish you still lived in Chicago? You could have run up and down Mt. Trashmore in Warrenville instead. :D

indyfan31
08-25-04, 08:05 PM
Just finishing a 100-mile ultra is awesome. :thumbup: How many hours (days) did it take you?

Not quite. An ultra is anything over the standard marathon length. This particular one was 33 miles. it was my first ultra and took me 9 hours even.

skaven
08-25-04, 11:21 PM
chop - The only exercise I got in Chicago (outside of work) was an occasional canoeing trip down the Wisconsin River and biking in Kettle Moraine. I was a total FIB. :p

I never heard of Mt. Trashmore, but my first snowboarding day was on Wilmot which they say is on top of a landfill.

Since I've left the "Sausage Belt," I've led a much healthier lifestyle. But I miss Road America, etc.

indyfan31 - That's still an accomplishment. :thumbup: Keep up the racing.

The same day that did the Pikes Peak race, they held the Leadville 100 Mile Ultra. All of it above 9,000 and up to 12,000 feet. The winner finished in 17 hours 16 minutes. :eek:

The dude who cut his arm off in the Canyonlands last summer ran his first big ultra and barely beat the 30 hour cut-off (pun intended).

These guys are insane.

http://www.aspentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040824/SPORTS/108240010

Methanolandbrats
08-25-04, 11:37 PM
"Since I've left the "Sausage Belt," I've led a much healthier lifestyle. But I miss Road America, etc."

As a lifelong Wisconsinite, I resemble those remarks :D WTF is a "healthier lifestyle"? Do you mean a sixpack of Berghoff, lots of brats and cheddar each day is not healthy? Keep up the good work running. I'm retired from racing now, but I did two dozen 50 milers, a few 100km races and a couple 24 hour track runs. You really should run the Minnesota Voyageur Trail Ultra. It's the ultimate 50 miler and it's near Duluth.

skaven
08-26-04, 12:09 AM
WTF is a "healthier lifestyle"?

Keeping up with a woman 8 years younger than me ! ! ! :D

Methanolandbrats
08-26-04, 12:23 AM
Keeping up with a woman 8 years younger than me ! ! ! :D Now that is a worthy goal! :thumbup: