PDA

View Full Version : Wussy USOC offering South Korean a second gold medal

rabbit
08-23-04, 07:37 PM
USOC officials met with members of the South Korean Olympic Committee on Sunday and Monday, and were trying to find an ``equitable solution,'' said Darryl Seibel, a spokesman for the USOC.
``We have indicated to them that we would be willing to consider the notion of a second gold medal being awarded,'' Seibel told the AP. Screw it. Officials make mistakes. You start rearranging results after the fact and you open a Pandora's Box. It all started with the stupid double gold in the figure skating.

Besides, we should tell SK that we'll talk when Roy Jones Jr. gets his gold medal from '88. :flame:

RaceGrrl
08-23-04, 07:58 PM
It all started with the stupid double gold in the figure skating.

Indeed. Blame Canada!

Ankf00
08-23-04, 08:43 PM
if they're doing that they might as well rejudge every performance for all the mistakes that the judges missed

Methanolandbrats
08-23-04, 09:30 PM
What happened? Did somebody vault after they threw a yellow?

dando
08-23-04, 10:38 PM
Screw it. Officials make mistakes. You start rearranging results after the fact and you open a Pandora's Box. It all started with the stupid double gold in the figure skating.

Besides, we should tell SK that we'll talk when Roy Jones Jr. gets his gold medal from '88. :flame:
While I agree about Roy Jones Jr., I disagree on the canuck fiasco. The judging was fixed for the pairs skating in SLC, and they deserved repairations for that fiasco. I can go either way on this one. It is a correctable error (math), but there are rules for filing a protest. It's not a matter of reviewing the judging per se.

-Kevin

Anteater
08-24-04, 04:15 PM
I was on the receiving end of a judging error earlier this year (at a dance competition), and can tell you that it is a bitter pill to swallow when you realize that the outcome was not what it should have been. That dance competition was not Olympic-caliber, though--I would expect more accurate judging from an Olympic panel. What is the usual procedure when an error like this is discovered?

Insomniac
08-24-04, 04:59 PM
If the exact opposite happened there would be 100 posts demanding "our" gold.

I personally think it's ridiculous that they can go back and review it to award more points but won't make any deductions for mistakes that they missed. The South Koreans blew it by not protesting. They had their opportunity to change it and didn't. If they are going to review that, then they should review every single event and give appropriate scores to everyone and rearrange every medal. The South Koreans should just leave it be. They messed up and can only blame themselves for not filing the protest. They knew the rules. I'm sure that isn't the only mistake made.

Lizzerd
08-24-04, 06:03 PM
I was listening to a radio talk show this morning, don't remember which, and the host was interviewing a former judge (or something like that). She said that after reviewing the tape, the real judges who made the scoring error realized that they also made a mistake by not issuing a mandatory .2 deduction to the Korean for having one too many stationary handstands. He did four and only should have been allowed to do three. Something like that...

RacinM3
08-24-04, 07:02 PM
Ban all judged sports. Ice skating, gymnastics, diving, anything where you don't score points by doing something everyone can see (i.e. cross a finish line, shoot a basket, etc.)

Besides, ice skaters and gymnasts annoy the s**** outta me.

Ankf00
08-24-04, 08:45 PM
Ban all judged sports. Ice skating, gymnastics, diving, anything where you don't score points by doing something everyone can see (i.e. cross a finish line, shoot a basket, etc.)

freestyle skiing and moguls are cool though....

ski jumping too, talk about guts, geez!

Dr. Corkski
08-24-04, 08:53 PM
freestyle skiing and moguls are cool though....

ski jumping too, talk about guts, geez!They should just leave that stuff for the X-games.

dando
08-24-04, 09:12 PM
In other news, that was one heck of a debacle last night in the men's high bar competition. I half expected beer cans to start flying ala NASCAB fans. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-25-04, 05:06 PM

What about boxing? Go until there is a KO or the ref calls the fight?

RacinM3
08-25-04, 06:26 PM
Boxing's not so much "judged" for style points. So I'm OK with boxing. In fact, I think if they let the gymnasts punch each other during their routines, I'd like gymnastics a lot more. :thumbup: The figure skaters should be able to check each other, too. :thumbup: :thumbup:

oddlycalm
08-25-04, 08:22 PM
She said that after reviewing the tape, the real judges who made the scoring error realized that they also made a mistake by not issuing a mandatory .2 deduction to the Korean for having one too many stationary handstands. He did four and only should have been allowed to do three. Something like that...

That's about it. There is one panel of judges that determines what the starting score (difficulty) will be. They are the ones that goofed up and gave the Korean gymnast the wrong starting score. There is another panel of judges that watches the routine and give deductions for any mistakes, and that's the panel that missed the fact that the Korean gymnast executed four holds on the bar, meaning grabbing it with his hands and holding it with a stationary grip for more than a moment during transition, and only three holds are allowed. I don't think there will be anything further done, and the USOC had no business suggesting a double gold even before the dust settled.

Even the best athletes make mistakes and the same goes for judges. Judging mistakes are a fact of life at all levels of competition and there are rules for protesting calls. Miss the deadline for protesting and you have no justificaiton to complain. In this case any protest had to be filed prior to rotation to the next event.

My take is that the judging mistakes at this Olympics are just that, and don't seem politically motivated as in the past. This is the first time I can remember where the crowd forced a revision on the spot though. :laugh:

oc

stroker
08-28-04, 05:24 PM

So much for drifting...

:laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
08-28-04, 05:26 PM
Drifting sucks.

RTKar
08-28-04, 06:21 PM
Drifting sucks.

There was great comment on Wind Tunnel via e-mail about drifting. Something to the affect, "If you think drifting is so great, why don't you just watch midgets and sprints on dirt?". "They've been drifting for years."

Sean O'Gorman
08-28-04, 06:24 PM
But thats not JDM drifting y0! Everyone knows that only Japanese drivers in Japanese cars can do maaaadd tite d0rift0s y0! Thats why they boo the Viper and the GTO, because they are trying to "Americanize" drifting. :rolleyes:

I think I rank the IRL as a more legitimate form of motorsport than drifting. :flame:

nrc
08-28-04, 07:35 PM
I think I rank the IRL as a more legitimate form of motorsport than drifting. :flame:
How about Grand Am?

Sean O'Gorman
08-28-04, 07:37 PM
Grand-Am is a perfectly legitimate form of racing. Only the car show ALMS fans have a problem with it.

nrc
08-28-04, 07:42 PM
Grand-Am is a perfectly legitimate form of racing. Only the car show ALMS fans have a problem with it.

I'm not a particular fan of the ALMS and I consider Grand Am a junk formula. Nothing better than 80's GTO cars mascarading as prototypes. The difference being that I don't recall any 80's GTO cars that were half that ugly. Ok, maybe the Roush Cougars were half that ugly.

Dave99
08-28-04, 07:49 PM
Just give everyone a Gold Medal. And while they're at it the Olympic Committee should take all those 1972 Men's Basketball Silver Medals out of the safe and issue Golds to that American team, too. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
08-28-04, 07:56 PM
I'm not a particular fan of the ALMS and I consider Grand Am a junk formula. Nothing better than 80's GTO cars mascarading as prototypes. The difference being that I don't recall any 80's GTO cars that were half that ugly. Ok, maybe the Roush Cougars were half that ugly.

We're getting really off topic here, but the point I was making was that at least in the IRL, the car that crosses the line first is the winner (well, most of the time :rofl: ), unlike drifting, where the winner is usually the guy that the crowd thinks has the most stunnarific car. How this relates to the Olympics, I don't know. ;)

theunions
08-31-04, 02:27 PM

Amen, brother.

Heck, lawnmower racing is more legit than drifting.

theunions
08-31-04, 02:28 PM
The figure skaters should be able to check each other, too. :thumbup: :thumbup:

A Tonya fan, I see. :D