PDA

View Full Version : STRANA sucks.

Dirty Sanchez
08-23-04, 10:19 AM
That is all. :gomer:

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album67/blownturbo.jpg

Opposite Lock
08-23-04, 12:45 PM
Letting "super trucks" onto the RA course just seems sacrilegious.

RichK
08-23-04, 12:46 PM
Man, the Nextel Cup cars tear up Sears Point every year, I can't imagine what these things to do RA.

Michaelhatesfans
08-23-04, 02:17 PM
They only had two at Portland. The first lap produces a, "Hmm. That's kind of cool." By the second lap it was, "Hey, I'm going to go have another look at that diecast booth before the Star Madza qualifying."

pchall
08-23-04, 02:52 PM
Looking at that picture, I can only say "Strana blows"...

Does anybody else here remember the SCCA's short-lived mini-pickup series?

RichK
08-23-04, 02:56 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that. Didn't the spec include neon undercarriage lights and >500 Watt amps mounted no lower than 6" above the floorpan?
:)

Regarding the STRANA trucks, what do the transporters look like that tow these things?

pfc_m_drake
08-23-04, 03:08 PM
Regarding the STRANA trucks, what do the transporters look like that tow these things?

You'd almost think you could hook the trailer right up to the truck and away you'd go. Although you'd kind of be in trouble in the event of the picture above.

I saw the TV coverage of the race from RA. They only had 4 starters, and one broke down...but otherwise it was kind of cool. Seriously.

Sean O'Gorman
08-23-04, 05:20 PM

I vaguely remember seeing them at Mid-Ohio when I was like 4 years old, I only remember the Jeeps that the Archer brothers ran. It was during the weekend of the old 12 or 24 hr race there...that would something I wish I was old enough to actually remember and experience.

Madmaxfan2
08-23-04, 06:25 PM

Wasn't Jeff Krossnoff a champ in that series?

Michaelhatesfans
08-23-04, 07:36 PM
Wasn't Jeff Krossnoff a champ in that series?
I don't know about a championship, but he definitely drove in that series. That was a fun series, in all fairness. The trucks were a bit underpowered for some of the courses that they ran on, but they were fun to watch through the twisty bits! Great manufacturer involvement in it's heyday.

SteveH
08-23-04, 07:39 PM
STRANA may suck. However, the European racing truck series is quite impressive in a perverted sense. Huge monsters running on a road course. Seems like a made for NASCAR type of series. Racing the transporters. Would pack the stands.

Ziggy
08-23-04, 08:38 PM
When I was a kid, they had a Semi Truck drag race @ IRP. This was in the heyday of the CB radio. I was a skeptic (!) but many of them pitted for the weekend at the shopping center across from the IMS front gate. I saw some awsome holeshots by a couple of White Frieghtliner's that were in a word, impressive.

TorontoWorker
08-24-04, 12:59 AM
I can recall two years when we had a truck series at Mosport sometime in the 80's where the trucks were all slightly modified Mac's, Whites, Kenworth's etc.

I think they lightened them up a bit and put plastic windows in them but the bodies and frames were near stock. I can recall that Shauna Robertson may have started the second time they were here. I *think* the group were called GATER if I recall and may have been an off shoot of the Bandits movies with Burt. I remember watching a video of these guys at some southern oval - perhaps Talladaga where a couple of them crashed very hard - in fact it looked like the Hindenburg crash all over...

Anyway they started 12 trucks the first year and I think 18 the second and final time. After that year Harvey Hudes decided that 120 feet of cement wall damaged and knocked down was about enough... :eek:

The smoke was was so bad on the rolling start that we thought there was a solar eclipse happening. I'll always remember the beer can being thrown out of one of the trucks as it came through corner 8 on the Friday of the race weekend. We called it in and later in the day - four beer coolers were removed from trucks that had been out on the track that day.

It was sort of shocking to find out that these guys had never run a road course before and of course they have to pick Mosport as their road course experiment from hell. And to top it off they had never raced in the rain so of course they didn't have any wipers. And it rained most of the weekend...
So most of the teams cut out sq holes in the front windshield.

What a nighmare. Drivers meeting: No going two wide under the bridge that at the time was half way down the hill at corner 4, (since rebuilt and at the top of the hill). What do these guys do? Yup THREE wide with the result of plywood being removed from the bridge along with some chrome pipes!

Thank god for the hills at Mosport because we all worked from the top of them and from the inside of the corners, (even that wasn't safe!)

As far as STRANA, we had them last year and the year before and never got more then four of them and never all four on the track at the same time. They are in fact slower then this old truck series that I just talked about but they do appear to be able to brake a lot later.

Perhaps if there were 20 of them and they didn't have so many problems running they might be interesting. I still don't see the ROI for these monsters as the output of cash must be quite high. One wonders if you could run FFord for about 10 years on a single year of truck racing!

Michaelhatesfans
08-24-04, 01:40 AM
I can recall two years when we had a truck series at Mosport sometime in the 80's where the trucks were all slightly modified Mac's, Whites, Kenworth's etc.

I think they lightened them up a bit and put plastic windows in them but the bodies and frames were near stock. I *think* the group were called GATER if I recall and may have been an off shoot of the Bandits movies with Burt. I remember watching a video of these guys at some southern oval - perhaps Talladaga where a couple of them crashed very hard
Thank God I'm not the only one who remembers that! :laugh: I was going to mention that series, but figured that nobody would know what the hell I was talking about. They definitely used that footage in one of the Bandit films, but not sure which one. I do remember those crashes looking like something out of the Book of Revelations. :eek:

Ziggy
08-24-04, 06:31 AM
TorontoWorker, thanks for the story. I cant imagine those Semi's at Mosport!

It would be like paying for a one legged man field goal kicking contest!

jonovision_man
08-24-04, 07:47 AM
TorontoWorker, thanks for the story. I cant imagine those Semi's at Mosport!

It would be like paying for a one legged man field goal kicking contest!

They did a few demonstration laps a couple years back at the ALMS race around Mosport, too... Ron Fellows went along for the ride, he seemed suitably impressed. :)

jono

pchall
08-24-04, 11:19 AM
I don't know about a championship, but he definitely drove in that series. That was a fun series, in all fairness. The trucks were a bit underpowered for some of the courses that they ran on, but they were fun to watch through the twisty bits! Great manufacturer involvement in it's heyday.

We have a winner! Racing pickups was a fine idea until it moved into the NASCAR demographic....

Steve99
08-25-04, 12:34 PM
Is STRANA actually racing, or are they still doing demonstrations at the ALMS events? I'm worried that those things are going to tear up the tracks. Didn't Portland have pavement problems in the corners when the NASCAR pickups raced there?

Michaelhatesfans
08-25-04, 01:55 PM
Is STRANA actually racing, or are they still doing demonstrations at the ALMS events? I'm worried that those things are going to tear up the tracks. Didn't Portland have pavement problems in the corners when the NASCAR pickups raced there?
Just demo's from what I've seen/heard/read.

As for Portland, I don't remember if there were problems with the paving, but it was a disaster when it rained on Sunday - different lines, different rubber, different oil... it was like watching people try to roller blade on an ice rink. Anyway, another time I'll tell you about the end of Champ Car qualifying, watching the open wheel fans leaving as the NASCAR fans were entering. When Worlds Collide! :laugh: