PDA

View Full Version : Tub's ?

Audi_A4
08-22-04, 10:33 PM
How long does a tub and chassis last? How old are the acutal chassis being raced this year? Is there a lifecycle or best before date on a chassis tub?

JoeBob
08-22-04, 11:10 PM
Lola is still making new tubs. RuSport bought 2 new ones when they added Jourdain's car. (Rahal and Fernandez weren't parting with any of theirs.)

There was a similar question posted on another forum, and one poster claimed that all of the cars being run this year were built in 2002 or later.

pchall
08-23-04, 11:03 AM
I was once told by a team member that a two car team with five tubs and another optioned in the build order could actually run the cars for at least three years with updates unless somebody produced a substatially better design. The only reason for five new cars each year was to have pretty, new, and unblemished cars to show the sponsors each year and justify the large sponsorship amount. He pointed out that if the sponsors knew that the tubs had such a long useful life, they would want the second and third years of their sponsorships at a much lower rate.

pferrf1
08-23-04, 12:22 PM
I was once told by a team member that a two car team with five tubs and another optioned in the build order could actually run the cars for at least three years with updates unless somebody produced a substatially better design. The only reason for five new cars each year was to have pretty, new, and unblemished cars to show the sponsors each year and justify the large sponsorship amount. He pointed out that if the sponsors knew that the tubs had such a long useful life, they would want the second and third years of their sponsorships at a much lower rate.

I think one of DCR tubs is older than 2002.. I think the AMR car is 2001. I coul dbe wrong, but Yoong eluded to that. Oriol's car seems to be getting some updates.

pchall
08-24-04, 12:26 PM
FWIW, here's some ancient history about tub life.

The original five fibreglass and resin chassis for the Chaparral 2 were built for testing and development and the 1963 season. They used the latest in fibreglass boat hull technology circa early 60s. These tubs later raced as the Chaparral 2A, 2D, and 2F all the way through the 1967 FIA Endurance season when the 2F won the BOAC 500.

This means at least one of the original five 1963 tubs was racing and winning in European endurance sportscar races at the end of FIVE seasons.

Nosuchsoul
08-24-04, 09:22 PM
Tubs? I think you should just take a shower, smelly.

JT265
08-24-04, 11:14 PM
I thought this was another thread about the earls most popular driver.

You know, kind of a HIRE SARAH!!! kinda shout out.