PDA

View Full Version : Papis/Rocketsports deal to be announced at NAIAS

JoeBob
12-30-02, 05:23 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?content_code=05744111

Rocketsports Racing will reach to the old country to man its new CART entry. Italian-American team owner Paul Gentilozzi is expected to sign native Italian and popular CART veteran Max Papis for the 2003 season. The official announcement could come at the North American International Auto Show, where Rocketsports sponsor Johnson Controls has scheduled a press conference.

mapguy
12-30-02, 05:51 PM
I wonder where that leaves Tagliani?

RichK
12-30-02, 05:53 PM
THANK GOD! Everyone knows that CART needs Max way more than Max needs CART....;)

nrc
12-30-02, 05:56 PM
It will be interesting to see. I'm a Tagz skeptic, but maybe given another year or two maybe he can put some results on the board. The last time Forsythe had a driver under contract with no seat he paid for the ride himself. Maybe he won't feel as obligated since Tagz is more a Players property.

JoeBob
12-30-02, 06:05 PM
Of course, Herta had also won races. ;) And he paid Herta to sit around and play "super-sub" for the first year of the contract. He actually funded a team for Herta for the 2nd year.

Hink
12-30-02, 06:44 PM
Does anyone else think that Tag will never win a CART race or is it just me? He came fairly close in Vancouver, leading from pole until the gearbox went, but other than that the only other times he's looked good he crashed.

RichK
12-30-02, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Hink
Does anyone else think that Tag will never win a CART race or is it just me? He came fairly close in Vancouver, leading from pole until the gearbox went, but other than that the only other times he's looked good he crashed.

Ever since his "mother of all smokescreens" at Rio, I've felt the same way.

mapguy
12-30-02, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Hink
Does anyone else think that Tag will never win a CART race or is it just me?

No, you are not the only one. Tags can stand on it but it remains to be seen if he can put it together. Bentham kicked his rear in Atlantics and now what is he doing? (Disclaimer: A friend of mine was in his graduating class.)

Warlock!
12-31-02, 08:54 AM
Speaking of the NAIAS, is anyone else goin'? I'm thinkin' about making the short drive up... never been there before, but since the kiddies are all out of diapers I think I can swing it. Most likely gonna be a Sat. or Sun., cause I really like crowds. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, anyone have a date for Genti's announcement?

Winter Warlock!

Napoleon
12-31-02, 10:14 AM
what is it a 1 hour drive for you Warlock!

I have never considered going because I always go to the Cleveland show which is something like the 5th biggest in the US, but maybe I should consider the 2 hour drive to MoTown.

On a differant subject the above cited Otto Weak story is a perfect example of what a total bunch of no nothing anti-CART hacks they are. The change CART is making in its reporting is soly driven by changes in Federal law. Literally one or 2 days after it was being reported that CART would do that Coke and Gillette announced the same policy, yet I didn't see D&G stories about what that was going to do to those companies

Turn7
12-31-02, 10:20 AM
"Anyhow, anyone have a date for Genti's announcement?"

Thursday, Jan. 5.

WickerBill
12-31-02, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
"Anyhow, anyone have a date for Genti's announcement?"

Thursday, Jan. 5.

1/5 is Sunday...

JSR
12-31-02, 01:00 PM
Good for Papis.

Turn7
12-31-02, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
1/5 is Sunday...

Opps...it helps if you look at Jan. 03 instead of Dec. 02

Sorry 'bout that.

devilmaster
12-31-02, 02:04 PM
If the announcement is the 5th, thats only media days.

The public is 11-19th.

North American International Auto Show (http://www.naias.com)

Steve

devilmaster
12-31-02, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
what is it a 1 hour drive for you Warlock!

I have never considered going because I always go to the Cleveland show which is something like the 5th biggest in the US, but maybe I should consider the 2 hour drive to MoTown.

I should be going one day..... Like I said somewheres else, it's not worth going every year, as most displays remain the same... Its been 2 years since I went... I don't have a place for people to shack up, but we can make a go at it, if ya feel like.

Steve

rabbit
01-02-03, 05:58 PM
http://www2.naias.com/main.asp?sectionID=20

Either Sunday at 9:10 a.m. or Tuesday at 2 p.m.

damiandoan
01-02-03, 07:20 PM
You know who is saying that Papis will not be confirmed at the show. Both press conferences are for product launches, etc. No racing announcements. :(

DD

mapguy
01-03-03, 06:37 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Max is just a tad bit overrated?

And a little bit high on himself?

Warlock!
01-03-03, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by mapguy

No, you're not. But he's got a good number of fans for whatever reason, and that's good for the CWS.

Remember, had Sigma not folded last year, he woulda been a championship contender... :rolleyes:

Winter Warlock!

JSR
01-03-03, 09:51 AM

I think he may be a TAD bit overrated. I just really like the guy. So I am glad that he is going to get the seat.

Joe in LA
01-03-03, 12:08 PM

I agree, but he has won races and presents himself well to the fans and sponsors. He wouldn't be my first choice if I owned a team, but he'd be far from my last choice. Overall, I'm glad he has a ride.