PDA

View Full Version : Concerns of Rubber Incompatibility?

racer2c
08-19-04, 05:24 PM
Do you think there is going to be issues with the rubber on the track from the trucks. I remember past years where it was an issue with the trucks running the day before, let alone directly before.

Railbird
08-19-04, 05:35 PM
nah, that couldn't make any difference could it?

maybe running at night when it's cold will balance things out.

KobySon
08-19-04, 05:54 PM
I remember Dario whining about the groove that the trucks laid down at homestead(?). Don't know if that was a visual line thing or a rubber adhesion deal. Or maybe it was just something to whine about. :eek:

Steve99
08-19-04, 07:02 PM
I think it is just a track conditions thing. It will be the same for everybody, but I'm sure some will whine.

Hopefully they get all the coolers and beer cans off the track after the truck race. :)

racer2c
08-19-04, 07:26 PM
I remember it being an issue because of the different compunds that Goodyear uses versus Bridgstone. One driver said it was like driving on ice.

Methanolandbrats
08-19-04, 07:28 PM
I remember it being an issue because of the different compunds that Goodyear uses versus Bridgstone. One driver said it was like driving on ice. Ran an autocross on a kart track once. The heavily rubbered braking areas for the karts felt like driving on damp pavement with Dot-R car tires. Incompatibility does cause big problems.

Playersfan
08-19-04, 11:28 PM
Do you think there is going to be issues with the rubber on the track from the trucks. I remember past years where it was an issue with the trucks running the day before, let alone directly before.
The trucks ran on Saturday in Fontana two years ago and Jimmy Vasser had no problem running the fastest 500 miles ever the next day .Playersfan :) :cool:

manic mechanic
08-20-04, 12:42 AM
ChampCars used to run both Michigan and Fontana on the same weekend with the trucks, and crapwagons have done it on several tracks the past few years.

You might argue that the over-aero'd crapwagon wouldn't even know the difference, and you may be correct, HOWEVER, there is little difference in the rubber (despite the name on the sidewall) that those sleds run compared to the Bridgestones that ChampCars run (they are very similar compounds, IIRC).

I feel that the more experienced pilots will have little or no problems adapting, and some of the others will make up for their inexperience with talent.

the problem will be the "bottom 3" (Slow-veen, Speedy, and Fabio), and guys that have little big track experience like Smith and Mazzacane. I'm not looking forward to seeing the spots they may make on the walls. :shakehead

manic

scanman
08-20-04, 07:03 AM
I thought it was because of the fluids that the trucks seem to dump on the
track was the biggest concern :confused:

pinniped
08-20-04, 10:13 PM
If you have rubber incompatiblity then fluids could definitely be a problem.

Opposite Lock
08-20-04, 10:18 PM
especially grease from thrown chicken buckets.

pinniped
08-20-04, 10:20 PM
you want biggie?

Dave99
08-21-04, 12:33 AM
http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/biggy.jpg

FRANKY
08-21-04, 12:23 PM
I remember it being an issue because of the different compunds that Goodyear uses versus Bridgstone. One driver said it was like driving on ice.

The problem with Homestead was the two different line truck drivers took compared with Champ Car. I think one was diamonding the track (Andretti et al) where truck was diving into the corners. Crossing over the different rubber is what gave them fits.

racer2c
08-21-04, 12:56 PM
The problem with Homestead was the two different line truck drivers took compared with Champ Car. I think one was diamonding the track (Andretti et al) where truck was diving into the corners. Crossing over the different rubber is what gave them fits.

Ah yes, that's what I remember. Thanks.