PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Kendall OUT as ChampCar broadcaster

RTW
02-14-03, 10:38 PM
Not much else to say. You can choose not to believe me because I'm new, but this is as good as gold, folks. Not sure how I feel about it. Just heard it tonight from a friend at SPEED.

rabbit
02-14-03, 10:40 PM
http://www.seventhgear.com/ubb/graemlins/flaming.gifhttp://www.seventhgear.com/ubb/graemlins/flaming.gifhttp://www.seventhgear.com/ubb/graemlins/flaming.gifhttp://www.seventhgear.com/ubb/graemlins/flaming.gifhttp://www.seventhgear.com/ubb/graemlins/flaming.gifhttp://www.seventhgear.com/ubb/graemlins/flaming.gif

RaceGrrl
02-14-03, 10:43 PM
I liked TK, he's fun to watch in a frat-boy kind of way. Now I wonder who they have lined up to replace him.

pchall
02-14-03, 10:47 PM
As long as the new guy doesn't say "boogity, boogity, boogity" I'll be okay about it.

RaceGrrl
02-14-03, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see Parker come back. Just my 2 cents.

Railbird
02-14-03, 10:57 PM
I'm with you pc.

what's up with that deal?

racer2c
02-14-03, 11:14 PM
Please god, let it NOT be Wlly T.

nrc
02-14-03, 11:17 PM
As I said last season, I thought Pruett was better in the booth, than in the pits, so that's a possibility if there aren't too many Trans Am conflicts. Parker or Jon would probably be OK. Anyone else would be a wait-and-see.

formulaben
02-15-03, 12:11 AM
Is there a chance he's out of the booth and back in the pits or the field? If true, I think that sucks. He added some needed spice and appealed to the younger (growth) demographic. I really liked his sense of humor, but maybe it was too much for the execs. Looking back, it would have been much better with a 3rd man in the booth.

Hink
02-15-03, 01:18 AM
That's a bummer. He was definitely one of the better commentators.

Hardpoint
02-15-03, 01:44 AM
That is a bummer. Any idea of what Dennis Miller is up too?

Kidding of course.

nrc
02-15-03, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by GoBucks
That is a bummer. Any idea of what Dennis Miller is up too?

He was on Donahue just the other night defending Bush's Iraq policy and talking about why his politics have tilted to the right over the last few years. He pretty much ran rings around Donahue.

G-Force
02-15-03, 03:01 AM
I would vote for Jon or Jim Murphy (if I had a vote that is)

Dave99
02-15-03, 03:02 AM
Parker was *this* close to joining SPEED this year for the Trans-Am series broadcasts but elected to stay at ESPN for drag racing. Cross his name off the list.

edited to add: I was warming up to TK's rap. imo, he was more of an asset than a liabilty. Maybe HE'LL be calling the T/A races?

Napoleon
02-15-03, 07:18 AM
Too bad, I liked TK. I really thought he added to the team.

Thanks for the info RTW.

mapguy
02-15-03, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by G-Force

Murph? The irl fan? He is the last person, next to Bob Jenkins, that I want to see/hear on a CART broadcast.

JSR
02-15-03, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Hink
That's a bummer. He was definitely one of the better commentators.

I agree. I think I am in the minority when it comes to Parker though. I never did like him in the booth.

lone_groover
02-15-03, 09:13 AM
I hope TK sticks around in some capacity. I like him. :(

Didn't Murph land his dream job at IMS Radio?

Probably car pooling with Jenkins, Aroot, Page and that Louie Nye-looking Marlo chick. :gomer:

Foxman
02-15-03, 10:25 AM
CART needs TK in the booth, they need someone who can appeal to the younger crowd and TK definitely fit that bill. Nothing against DD, but he didn't have the same spark that TK did. I'd love to see DD, Parker in the booth, with TK doing the pitlane reporting, that would be an awesome broadcast team IMHO.

pchall
02-15-03, 10:26 AM

No IRL loving scum, please.

JoeBob
02-15-03, 10:34 AM
murph is already confirmed in the pits for IMS radio.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on a Varsha/Daly booth this year, with Beekhuis and Fish in the pits. That would be the easy thing to do, and (even better for the powers that be) the cheap thing to do.

mnkywrch
02-15-03, 11:19 AM
TK had too much personality, probably...

Add me to the list who will miss him.

Hink
02-15-03, 03:38 PM

Just say no to Murph the lemming. How CART let him work there when he was such an obvious full time Indianapolis boot licker and a part time alleged CART fan is beyond comprehesion. Then again - a lot of things CART used to do was beyond comprehesion

RaceGrrl
02-15-03, 03:53 PM
NO MURPH! NO MURPH! NO MURPH!

rocket
02-15-03, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by pchall
As long as the new guy doesn't say "boogity, boogity, boogity" I'll be okay about it.

AMEN to that.

Miljax
02-15-03, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
I'd like to see Parker come back. Just my 2 cents.

I am with you, I always liked Parker... TK was always, IMO, a little too smug and full of himself. I know that I am in the minority here, but if it is true, I couldn't much care...

Jag_Warrior
02-15-03, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Hink
Just say no to Murph the lemming. How CART let him work there when he was such an obvious full time Indianapolis boot licker and a part time alleged CART fan is beyond comprehesion. Then again - a lot of things CART used to do was beyond comprehesion

Yet Murph would get so bent out of shape if you called him on it. I never could figure that out. He becomes a dues paying member of "the party", yet he'd getted peeved if anyone mentioned it. :confused:

formulaben
02-16-03, 08:29 PM
Just when are we going to find out who is in the booth, on Saturday? :rolleyes:

nrc
02-17-03, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
Yet Murph would get so bent out of shape if you called him on it. I never could figure that out. He becomes a dues paying member of "the party", yet he'd getted peeved if anyone mentioned it. :confused:

Murph wants everyone to believe he left CART over his "journalistic principles." Heck, back when people on 7G were fawning over him for just that, I flat out stated that I believed he had quit in order to line up a job with his dream series, if he didn't have one already.

But let's forget about such small matters and get back to the topic of the TV team.

It looks like CART may be trying to cut their TV costs this year. Given their losses that probably makes sense until they get things stablized.

If that's the case, and considering that the total hours have been cut back, then it makes sense to cut back the broadcast team. So I expect Varsha and Daly in the booth and Fish and someone else in the pits. It's tough to justify a fifth right now.

mnkywrch
02-17-03, 05:13 PM
Daly? Derek Daly?

:cry:

I'd rather have Carson Daly in the booth.

JoeBob
02-17-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by nrc
If that's the case, and considering that the total hours have been cut back, then it makes sense to cut back the broadcast team. So I expect Varsha and Daly in the booth and Fish and someone else in the pits. It's tough to justify a fifth right now.

Now where I have I read that before? ;) The good part of that is that Jon is already on the SPEED payroll for the ALMS stuff, and he has CART experience. He'd be a logical 2nd choice.

Brian Till is another option, he's also got CART experience, and is pretty underrated on the pit lane. (I wouldn't mind a Beekhuis/Till team in the pits.)

Then there's Ralph Shaheen...

WickerBill
02-17-03, 06:38 PM
For what it's worth, I'm going to chime in here and say that the two people I've been able to contact today at SPEED say Kendall will be in the booth at St. Pete. Perhaps a just-resolved contract dispute. Either way, I expect Tommy on SPEED this weekend.

RaceGrrl
02-17-03, 06:46 PM
Sigh. Well, at least Kendall is quotable. It is fun watching Varsha's expressions when TK comes up with a good one.

formulaben
02-17-03, 06:53 PM
That's good news. Now if they can only get Jon to join Calvin in the pits...:D

Miljax
02-17-03, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Murph wants everyone to believe he left CART over his "journalistic principles." Heck, back when people on 7G were fawning over him for just that, I flat out stated that I believed he had quit in order to line up a job with his dream series, if he didn't have one already.

But let's forget about such small matters and get back to the topic of the TV team.

It looks like CART may be trying to cut their TV costs this year. Given their losses that probably makes sense until they get things stablized.

Maybe it is hard to justify a fifth right now, but on Sunday, I am pulling out a fifth of Jack, some Coke to mix it with, a few beers, and the celebration will begin...:D :D

turn1
02-17-03, 11:47 PM

Is it bad for me to admit that I get a kick out of DW?

And to keep on topic, TK is and has been one of the good guys. Letting him slip away would be wrong and damaging to race weekends as a whole. Plus, he and Danika were getting sooo close!

rabbit
02-18-03, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by turn1
Is it bad for me to admit that I get a kick out of DW? No, there's nothing wrong with being a hick, per say.

turn1
02-18-03, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
No, there's nothing wrong with being a hick, per say.

How many stoplights are in your hometown my friend?

;)

Warlock!
02-18-03, 11:07 AM
Ya know, I watched the Day-toner Five Hunnert from the start this year, and when the "boogity-boogity-boogity" came out I almost puked with nervous laughter! I thought that it was just goof on the NASCAR crowd... I didn't know someone actually said it :saywhat:

Winter Warlock!

oddlycalm
02-19-03, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by RTW
Not much else to say. You can choose not to believe me because I'm new, but this is as good as gold, folks. Not sure how I feel about it. Just heard it tonight from a friend at SPEED.
Your 'friend' having some fun at your expense? Don't worry about it, you reported something you were told in good faith.

as listed on SpeedTV.com 2/19"as well as race analysts Bob Varsha, Scott Pruett, Tommy Kendall, Calvin Fish and Derek Daly…"

CART broadcast team (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/5188/)