PDA

View Full Version : ...over the weekend...

Dirty Sanchez
08-17-04, 01:44 PM
The most fun I've had in a car... ever.

I really dig auto-x but this is taking it to a whole new level of fun...

Audi Car Club Chicagoland Chapter (ACCCC) had their annual driver's Driver's School and Safety Seminar at Blackhawk Farms Raceway (http://www.blackhawkfarms.com). BHF is a 1.95 mile road course located right on the IL/WI border... just north of Rockford, IL and just south of Beloit, WI.

http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/images/BHFTrackmap8ts.gif

2 days of learning... some classroom stuff and exercises (accident avoidance, threshold braking, slalom, etc.) on Saturday morning and then lapping sessions for the rest of the weekend. I had three 20 minutes sessions on Saturday afternoon and five sessions on Sunday.

My instructor rocked and I got some great feedback from him and some of the other instructors. I impressed some good drivers this weekend and I really impressed myself with the level of improvement I showed from beginning to end.

I totally abused my Contis too... I think I will finish them off at Gingerman Raceway in September. There is a really good chance that I will be running at Autobahn Country Club in October too (if so, we will be the very first cars running on that track... a virgin track!!!).

The S4 is an incredible machine. I had no real idea of its performance capabilities before this weekend... it is one badass car.

Here are some BHF pics (http://www.speedgeezers.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album66) There were some pretty amazing cars there... a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Lotus Elise, an RS6, several P-cars, some Evos and STis, a few new S4s, and ****loads of stage 3 A4s.

:thumbup:

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album66/blackhawk_14.jpg

FCYTravis
08-17-04, 02:13 PM
:thumbup:

As for the Contis...

Feel the dark side enveloping you. The R-compounds are calling. Sure, you'll use 'em up and throw 'em away in 10,000 miles or less... but ooooh, won't that grip be SO worth it?

:laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
08-17-04, 02:36 PM
10,000 miles out of an R-comp? :laugh:

I just read on honda-tech this morning that Bridgestone is bringing a DOT R tire to the US next year, so if you want to do the whole support Champ Car thing, that might be one to look for.

How did the brakes hold up to track duty? You'll probably have to keep an eye out for your pads, most people I know that do lapping days don't get much life out of them. Granted, they are typically smaller rotors (Hondas, MR2s, etc.), but they are also much lighter cars.

I haven't done an HPDE/lapping day yet, the costs (entry, brake pads, tires, etc.) and the risks of wrecking my car or breaking something (it is a 14 year old car with over 100k on it) are too high, especially when its noncompetitive lapping. Eventually the bug will bite you hard enough that you'll be trading in that S4 for a truck, trailer, and a dedicated road racer. :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
08-17-04, 02:44 PM
the title of this thread was edited why? f*****g weak!

:rolleyes:

back on-topic...

Brakes held up really well. 13.6" rotors in the front doodsicle... mega stopping power. The pads themselves are really thick... about the same as what comes stock on the Ferrari Enzo from what the guys @Carbotech said (they are coming up with aftermarket pads soon). I have decent life left in my pads, but I will likely pick up another set before I hit Gingerman. I don't want to have to buy rotors!

I could almost brake as deep as some of the guys running stoptechs... but not consistently.

Sean O'Gorman
08-17-04, 02:51 PM
the title of this thread was edited why? f*****g weak!

:rolleyes:

back on-topic...

Brakes held up really well. 13.6" rotors in the front doodsicle... mega stopping power. The pads themselves are really thick... about the same as what comes stock on the Ferrari Enzo from what the guys are Carbotech said (they are coming up with aftermarket pads soon). I have decent life left in my pads, but I will likely pick up another set before I hit Gingerman. I don't want to have to buy rotors!

I could almost brake as deep as some of the guys running stoptechs... but not consistently.

Thats good to hear. Sport Compact Car did a comparison of the S4 vs. the Evo a year ago and one of the things they mentioned was brake fade, so I wasn't sure if you had heard it or not.

Definitely look into the Carbotechs, I've heard nothing but good about the brand. I suppose its obligatory for me to mention Cobalt Friction (http://www.cobaltfriction.com) since they give me discounts, but I don't know if they plan anything for the S4.

Funny that you'd bring up StopTech. I helped come up with the name for that company, back when I was like 15 or 16. I knew some guy from the AOL sports car forum who owned a vintage Can-Am car that Bill Auberlen drove at a historic event, and turned the guy into a HUGE fan of his. Anyway, he IMed me one day saying that he's going to be a partner in a performance brake company, and asked if I had any name suggestions. Not having a clue what say, my response was "uhh, StopTech?" and he told me that was one of the names they were considering. Several years later theres a StopTech company out there, and they are one of the sponsors on Bill Auberlen's World Challenge car. True story, I sware.

Dirty Sanchez
08-17-04, 02:53 PM
Regarding tires... I will likely continue to run street tires for the next couple of seasons at least. I think they are probably one of the most important learning tools. I crave R-compounds... but I think they can compensate for poor driving (they do wear out quicker though)... street tires force you to be a better driver, imo.

I need to have my tires talking... er screaming back at me. :D

Sean O'Gorman
08-17-04, 02:56 PM
Regarding tires... I will likely continue to run street tires for the next couple of seasons at least. I think they are probably one of the most important learning tools. I crave R-compounds... but I think they can compensate for poor driving (they do wear out quicker though)... street tires force you to be a better driver, imo.

I need to have my tires talking... er screaming back at me. :D

Good point, although in defense of the Rs, the fact that they handle heat better than a street tire allows you to be more consistant with your driving, although I suppose that is irrelevant if you aren't being timed.

Nosuchsoul
08-17-04, 05:04 PM
I sooooooooooo want to do Rotax Max but the costs are too high. Instead of giving five or six grand for it though, my parents used that money for a down payment for a second home in Big Bear. Always thinking of themselves!!! Anyway, anybody knows what is the largest size for a Kart? I suffer from genetic large Mexican syndrome, so I am a size 44. Can I fit in one? What is the largest as far as you know? I really want to just drive one to check it out, and i know you need to be in great shape to race Karts anyway but I want to try it out first! lol.

Hard Driver
08-17-04, 06:21 PM
I'm going to have to try that. I just picked up an S4 about 2 weeks ago. Although it is a 2000 with the Twin turbo V-6. But after I chipped it a week after buying it, it hauls serious A**. I want to get it out on a track now.

RacinM3
08-17-04, 06:48 PM
Man you Audi guys must looooove understeer.....(ducks) ;)

Dirty Sanchez
08-18-04, 12:54 PM
Man you Audi guys must looooove understeer.....(ducks) ;)Thems fighting words!!!

You M3 guys must love it when it rains... NOT! :p

Must love bouncing your passenger (notice I didn't use plural... 2 doors :thumdown: ) around with that ultra harsh ride.

I'm going to RA this weekend and bringing 3 track coolers, a tent, shelter, several chairs and tables, fold out cot and all kinds of other stuff. Good luck fitting half that in your M3.

Our cars keep getting better and better looking... you have Bangle :rofl:

RacinM3
08-18-04, 08:31 PM
I only have one thing to say:

http://www.l2specialties.com/scott/528-4.jpg

:p ;)

Ankf00
08-18-04, 09:11 PM
bangle...

game...

set...

match.

Dirty Sanchez
08-19-04, 09:26 AM
I will own that 5 series wagon on the track. :D

Methanolandbrats
08-19-04, 02:07 PM
Crapus, contact the Badger Bimmers and you can hotlap Road America during Octoberfast. You get so much track time you need to bring extra brake pads.

http://www.badgerbimmers.org/main/article_31.shtml

Dirty Sanchez
08-19-04, 02:37 PM
Thanks... the National Audi Club already has an event planned for Road America on Monday-Tuesday, September 21-22. Its being run by Larry Boyer.

I'd love to make it, but I'm committed to too many other things this fall.

Gingerman (Audi) - Sept. 11-12
Petit Le Mans - Sept. 23-26
Autobahn Country Club (Audi) - Oct. 2-3

Road America next year, I hope. :thumbup:

Wallet be more fat.