PDA

View Full Version : IRL to St. Pete Says RM

racer2c
08-17-04, 12:22 PM
That blows. My parents are 30 minutes away!

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/12499/)

RichK
08-17-04, 12:27 PM
That's what I hate about the IRL: the damn street parades!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For some reason, my Mozilla Firefox browser doesn't like TractorForum, so I don't go over there. I'll bet they are pooping twinkies over St. Pete!

Brickman
08-17-04, 12:55 PM
It's not like it will surprise anyone when they attempt to go after Champ Car venues. Not the last on their list. Dover Motorsports...

My guess is that they want to show they can produce so they can slide Long Beach over to the IRL because of St. Pete results.

So is life...

jonovision_man
08-17-04, 01:15 PM
Competition is usually healthy in business, but I'm not convinced either series has the resources for an all-out war like this! Champcar wasn't willing to compete over PIR or St. Pete's, but surely they will fight for LB.

I did a quick check of TrackForum, nobody seems to have mentionned Robin's comments? Since many IRL fans believe street races stink, I can't imagine the reaction will be positive.

jono

chop456
08-17-04, 01:17 PM
My guess is that they want to show they can produce so they can slide Long Beach over to the IRL because of St. Pete results.

So is life...

Yeah. They can boast about 35,000 showing up after they give away 75,000 tickets. A "visionary" success by the idiot.

jonovision_man
08-17-04, 01:23 PM
I did a quick check of TrackForum, nobody seems to have mentionned Robin's comments? Since many IRL fans believe street races stink, I can't imagine the reaction will be positive.

My mistake, there's a thread, the subject threw me off.

Mixed reaction it seems, as you'd expect, some are glad to see an assault on Champcar, others are very anti-street.

racer2c
08-17-04, 02:22 PM
It's not like it will surprise anyone when they attempt to go after Champ Car venues. Not the last on their list. Dover Motorsports...

So is life...

Right, because the lord knows they haven't shown diddly in the last nine years. St. Pete will convince Long Beach for sure!

:gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
08-17-04, 02:40 PM
That sucks, I really liked that track. :(

But on the plus side, when they announce "70,000 on race day" or whatever, we can always dig up attendance threads at TF from the 2003 race and throw those back in their face. ;)

Brickman
08-17-04, 02:41 PM
Right, because the lord knows they haven't shown diddly in the last nine years. St. Pete will convince Long Beach for sure!

:gomer:

That's about it.

They'll pull out all the stops to show that they can take over the LBGP without missing a beat. The IRL will try to have Dover and Toyota on their side and snatch the race from Champ Car. Of course if they screw up with Infineon and Watkins Glen it will be an up hill battle. But if they pull off the races and do St. Pete right with or without giving away "75,000" tickets Long Beach could be theirs.

No surprises here.

KobySon
08-17-04, 02:56 PM
That's about it.

They'll pull out all the stops to show that they can take over the LBGP without missing a beat. The IRL will try to have Dover and Toyota on their side and snatch the race from Champ Car. Of course if they screw up with Infineon and Watkins Glen it will be an up hill battle. But if they pull off the races and do St. Pete right with or without giving away "75,000" tickets Long Beach could be theirs.

No surprises here.

toyota will be gone before they can help the irl snatch lb.

racer2c
08-17-04, 02:58 PM
That's about it.

No surprises here.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Wally
08-17-04, 03:12 PM

That would be scripted redundancy from the usual suspect....... :shakehead

Madmaxfan2
08-17-04, 03:36 PM
They can't get RA, from what I hear, the IRL's contract with the Milwuakee mile states a no compete clause with any other track within a certain mileage. The IRL must have done that knowly and suggested to RA the IRL was game. I still do not believe they want any street race other the Long Beach, and the IRL wants LB just to kill Champ Car. Watkins Glen and Sears Point was just a bone to throw to the ex CART teams.

Brickman
08-17-04, 03:57 PM

No... just using both sides of my brain. ;)

Actually I think that Champ Car will start a year long petition to counter the move. Just because Dover, Toyota, and the IRL want to be involved with the Long Beach Grand Prix doesn't mean the fan base concurs. It will take fan pressure on the political side to keep the ball in Champ Car's court.

RichK
08-17-04, 04:08 PM

Actually I think that Champ Car will start a year long petition to counter the move. Just because Dover, Toyota, and the IRL want to be involved with the Long Beach Grand Prix doesn't mean the fan base concurs. It will take fan pressure on the political side to keep the ball in Champ Car's court.

Please point us to proof that Toyota wants the IRL at Long Beach.

racer2c
08-17-04, 05:59 PM

...more wishful thinking.

Brickman
08-17-04, 06:40 PM
Please point us to proof that Toyota wants the IRL at Long Beach.

Well...

"If Dover decided to bring in the IRL race, obviously we'd be elated. It's Dover decision but would they consult with us? Absolutely. But we're not in the position where we're going to dictate. We're not giving them an ultimatum." - Les Unger, Manager Toyota Motor Sales USA

RTKar
08-17-04, 06:55 PM
...so what was that about those cordial talks between Penske and OWRS?... :shakehead

Megger
08-17-04, 07:43 PM
I don't think the GOMERS want to street race. Just trying to pizz of the three amigos. Didn't RM say something about 1/28 :rolleyes:

gjc2
08-17-04, 08:15 PM
I don't think the GOMERS want to street race. Just trying to pizz of the three amigos. Didn't RM say something about 1/28 :rolleyes:

They just want to wreck the venue for anyone else.

George

JT265
08-17-04, 09:01 PM

Uh Huh.

Keep Digging.

I'm sure you'll find 3, 4, hell, maybe even 8 or 10 sides if you look hard enough.
In fact, I'm reminded of a poem.

Life,
~ by JT

Roses are red,
Blue is the sky,

I'm schizophrenic,

AND SO AM I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

Thank you, and don't forget to tip your waitress.

fourrunner
08-17-04, 09:10 PM
Uh Huh.

Keep Digging.

I'm sure you'll find 3, 4, hell, maybe even 8 or 10 sides if you look hard enough.
In fact, I'm reminded of a poem.

Life,
~ by JT

Roses are red,
Blue is the sky,

I'm schizophrenic,

AND SO AM I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

AND I!!!!!

Which "I" was I talkiing to & paid for my deliscious dinner in Toronto? I'd like to thank him personally ! ;) :thumbup:

Brickman
08-17-04, 09:11 PM

We won't. :o

JT265
08-17-04, 09:12 PM
Which "I" was I talkiing to & paid for my deliscious dinner in Toronto? I'd like to thank him personally ! ;) :thumbup:

That would be me.

<or maybe not.>

;)

fourrunner
08-17-04, 09:17 PM
That would be me.

<or maybe not.>

;)

Next Year .... My Turn !! :cool:

Rob
08-17-04, 09:27 PM
Damn, I was really hoping the champ cars would be back there. We desperately need a race out in the eastern US!

cart7
08-17-04, 10:35 PM
This won't get much play at TF till it becomes official. If they start paying too much attention to Robins rumours they'd finally have to admit he's right a lot of the time.

Personally, I think the gloves are off on this thing. The earl, at strong insistance from the new "owner" of the league, Honda, is going to keep chipping away at every venue CCWS has until they run out of tracks stupid enough to sign on. Clearly, TG no longer cares about the vision, oval racing, short trackers, small teams, the fans and on and on. He'll pizz off the last remaining good fans he's got leaving the earl with a bunch of Cart haters. Those won't be enough to fill the Brickyard 1/2 way in May and they'll be stuck with 10 ovals and a bunch of crappy road and street events. By then Chevy and Toyota will be gone and Honda will leave out of boredom.

Car-B-Q
08-17-04, 11:03 PM
rome is burning...I got some extra lighter fluid and matches...if that'll help speed things along.

Skater_36
08-18-04, 09:31 AM
This won't get much play at TF till it becomes official. If they start paying too much attention to Robins rumours they'd finally have to admit he's right a lot of the time.

Personally, I think the gloves are off on this thing. The earl, at strong insistance from the new "owner" of the league, Honda, is going to keep chipping away at every venue CCWS has until they run out of tracks stupid enough to sign on. Clearly, TG no longer cares about the vision, oval racing, short trackers, small teams, the fans and on and on. He'll pizz off the last remaining good fans he's got leaving the earl with a bunch of Cart haters. Those won't be enough to fill the Brickyard 1/2 way in May and they'll be stuck with 10 ovals and a bunch of crappy road and street events. By then Chevy and Toyota will be gone and Honda will leave out of boredom.

Honda has already accomplished what they set out to do in the IRL, win Indy and now the manufacturers championship. Why stick around any longer than they have to while throwing away money in a series with low crowd turnout and horrible TV ratings?

pchall
08-18-04, 10:14 AM
I got some extra lighter fluid and matches...if that'll help speed things along.

I've got a couple gallons of kerosene... let me know where to pour it.

JT265
08-18-04, 11:55 AM
I've got a couple gallons of kerosene... let me know where to pour it.

Hell PC, you know'd where to pour, 'cause you know'd where'd it comed from.

:D

mueber
08-19-04, 08:35 AM
I was looking forward to St Petersburg. A week in Florida at the end of winter is good for my attitude. Oh well.

I get the feeling that the managment and OWRS is not willing to "fight" for venues which attempt to play the IRL and OWRS against each other.

Is that a good idea? I don't know. Maybe the folks at St. Petersburg ought to call up the folks in Portland and ask 'em how sincere the IRL's advances are.

JT265
08-19-04, 09:02 AM
I get the feeling that the managment and OWRS is not willing to "fight" for venues which attempt to play the IRL and OWRS against each other.

No, and its the best move they can make. Why get into a pissing contest with CrackBoi and Yenwhores?

Earl will fall on it's own.