PDA

View Full Version : i don't get it...

Chaos
08-17-04, 09:45 AM
as you all know, there's a piece of software out there called kazaa, and as you know, the purpose of this software is to share files (you know...music, movies, etc.), and you also know that 99.9% of the files are breaking some kind of copyright act....fine.

now, kazaa litters your computer with adware and spyware, and it won't let you run the software at all if you install a popup blocker or use spyware removal tools...fine.

so, a company releases a program called kazaa lite, which is essentially kazaa without the crap, and it uses kazaa's network....fine.

now here's the gem! kazaa is upset at those who were making/distributing kazaa lite because it was infringing on kazaa.

how hypocritical is it that kazaa is upset that someone is knocking off their software when the whole point of kazaa is to share files that are most likely pirated.

tllips
08-17-04, 10:08 AM
I visited Kazaa's site once and did not download anything. I was just wondering how it worked since a song I was looking for was not available through Apple's Music store.

I was fighting spyware for a month after that and our security software could only quarantine the damn things. It could not clean them. So I started to follow the dierections on how to get rid of these Trojan Horses and lo and behold I deleted something in regedit that I was not supposed to and now I can't log into that machine at all. :mad: :mad: Our IT is off site and I am waiting for them to come and re-install everything that was on the 'puter.

I guess I learned my lesson and will never go to Kazaa's site again!

Warlock!
08-17-04, 10:54 AM
I use Kazaa with an add-on program called Diet K, which essentially kills all the pop-ups and spyware programs generated when you run Kazaa, while still allowing Kazaa to work as intended. However, if you run Adaware or any similar program, it removes all the spyware from your 'puter completely and Kazaa won't run at all.

Warlock!

Chaos
08-17-04, 11:03 AM
oh...it gets better :)

kazaa has a supposed ad-free version. BUT you have to pay, AND they still put crap on your machine.

Gotta love it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh well, it's all about torrents for me anyways

cart7
08-17-04, 11:07 AM
I use Bearshare. It installs spyware but you can remove it and the program runs fine. I'm basically a torrents person as well but I'll go to Bearshare to grab a quick song.

Wabbit
08-17-04, 01:07 PM
A friends machine that had kazaa loaded on it. I spent 3 hours deleteing spyware on it to get it to a point where I could actually backup the data and nuke the drive. When I got the machine, it would take 2 minutes after hitting the start button for the menu to come up. It was nasty.

NOTHING truely can remove all of the spyware that is added on your computer. The only true soloution is to nuke the machine and start fresh. At that point, you are only stuck with the spyware that is called Windows.

Sean O'Gorman
08-17-04, 01:23 PM
The third shift guy was asking me about Kazaa the other day, because he wanted to put it on the work PC. I told him no, the spyware problems are out of the world, I already uninstalled it months ago, etc.

The next afternoon, I come into work, and suddenly I'm in spyware hell. Sure enough, what do I see on the desktop? Kazaa! :flame:

I fortunately got Kazaa Lite K++ before it was removed from the Internet, so I never have had a problem with viruses or spyware. In fact I ran Spybot S & D last night for the first time in months, and only 2 objects came up. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Amanda B.'s Mom
08-17-04, 09:29 PM
For anyone who is having spyware problems and cannot get rid of them. There is a great web site called "geeks to go". Once there you will find a special program called Hijack this. You can run the program, post your results on the web site firum, and the resident "geeks" will tell you specifically what to remove and how to remove it. It is wonderful.They also have recommendations on specific programs to keep your computer freee of spyware and pop-ups.

Works for me.

Clown
08-18-04, 02:39 AM
I fortunately got Kazaa Lite K++ before it was removed from the Internet
Just type in "Kazaa Lite" (http://search.suprnova.org) :)

Ferdman
08-18-04, 11:49 AM
For anyone who is having spyware problems and cannot get rid of them. There is a great web site called "geeks to go". Once there you will find a special program called Hijack this. You can run the program, post your results on the web site firum, and the resident "geeks" will tell you specifically what to remove and how to remove it. It is wonderful.They also have recommendations on specific programs to keep your computer freee of spyware and pop-ups.

Works for me.

Hijack This is quick, but if you don't know what to look for, you might remove something that is needed. The "resident geeks" may know what to get rid of, but may tell you to remove something that is needed for your domain settings, assuming you are in a domain such as your workplace. I guess if it's a personal machine, then it would be OK.

What I do for spyware is to run a cocktail of spyware tools: Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, Hijack This, CW Shredder, etc. Make sure they're all updated. One will find stuff that the other one won't. It would be best to boot your machine in safe mode, then run the tools. If you have XP, then turn off System Restore before you run the tools.

Here are a couple of websites that have free spyware tools:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
http://www.spychecker.com/

There are,of course, better tools that you must buy the software. And speaking of buying the software, if you want Kazaa withouth the spyware, you have to buy the full version of it. :shakehead