PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new printer....ideas?

JohnHKart
08-17-04, 07:45 AM
Well how convenient, just as I'm getting ready to print out some tax forms to fill out and mail, and having blown 30 bucks on two new printer cartridges, I found out that my Epson 777 has bitten the dust after three and a half years. It's even more annoying considering the Canon BJ 101 I had lasted six years, and I almost thought of going and digging that out of storage. So it's time for a new printer and I think I want to go with HP. Among the more annoying things about the Epson was the cost of the ink and the number one horror was not being able to print black ink documents if the color had run out. What a nice way to rip people off, I never need to print color anyway, so I had to constantly buy color ink when it evaporated.

John

Turn7
08-17-04, 08:55 AM
hp

nrc
08-17-04, 10:57 AM
Buy the cheapest one you can find and throw it away when it runs out of ink. :)

Dave99
08-17-04, 12:20 PM
30 bucks on two new printer cartridges?

Use Ebay next time and spend the savings on guitar strings.

Ankf00
08-17-04, 12:22 PM
30 bucks on two new printer cartridges?

Use Ebay next time and spend the savings on guitar strings.
i'd say a pack of martin sp's are far more worthy than an ink cartridge :)

carpfan
08-17-04, 01:04 PM
Well how convenient, just as I'm getting ready to print out some tax forms to fill out and mail, and having blown 30 bucks on two new printer cartridges, I found out that my Epson 777 has bitten the dust after three and a half years. It's even more annoying considering the Canon BJ 101 I had lasted six years, and I almost thought of going and digging that out of storage. So it's time for a new printer and I think I want to go with HP. Among the more annoying things about the Epson was the cost of the ink and the number one horror was not being able to print black ink documents if the color had run out. What a nice way to rip people off, I never need to print color anyway, so I had to constantly buy color ink when it evaporated.

John

Funny you mention the 777. I used to work at Epson Portland, and that was one of thier major re-work projects. They were cheaply made in the Phillippenes, and had serious quality problems. I remember much overtime being put in on those...

Sean O'Gorman
08-17-04, 01:17 PM
You can have my HP, I'll tie it to the back of a FedEx truck on its way to California, and hopefully being dragged for thousands of miles will make it work right. :thumdown:

chop456
08-17-04, 01:19 PM
Buy a black and white laser printer for your everyday stuff. It's saved me hundreds in the long run.

TedN
08-17-04, 07:20 PM
Buy a black and white laser printer for your everyday stuff. It's saved me hundreds in the long run.

I agree. I purchased a Samsung ML-1430 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HH1C/102-0038044-6904141?v=glance) last year and have been very happy.

Ted

nrc
08-17-04, 07:42 PM
I would third the laser printer recommendation. Much less trouble. Unless you do a lot of photo printing I would get a laser printer and the cheapest inkjet that meets your color needs.

JohnHKart
08-18-04, 06:53 AM
Thank you for all the responses....Have got the HP 1012....I never print in color so I should have had something like this the whole time.

John

chop456
08-18-04, 07:05 AM
Good choice. I figured that my Epson Inkjet was costing me about $.20 per page and my Xerox b/w laser is about $.05 The $75 drum/toner combo refills are good for about 2,000 pages. Imagine the savings! :gomer: