PDA

View Full Version : Daly Should Be in the Booth

racer2c
08-16-04, 05:31 PM
Sure he says "tree" instead of "three" but his insight and demeanor adds legitimacy and some international flair to TK and Ben's somewhat 'walled' commentary. "Walled" meaning that they never seem to talk to each other, more of just speaking their own observations. I like the way the F1 crew carries on a round table sort of casual, but 'into it' sort of banter.
I think a third voice in the booth would help and Daly is experienced and already there .

JoeBob
08-16-04, 05:43 PM
I'm not a DD fan. When he's in the booth, he seems to talk about himself more than anything else. In the pit lane, there seem to be better pit reporters.

His best role was when he would wander the track during the race and add commentary from various points. (Remember when he was almost touching the cars at the hairpin at Long Beach? Wow!)

In Denver, with the crew of Benjamin, Kendall, Fish and Daly, DD was the weakest link. Replace Daly with Beekhuis, and I'm a happy camper. (Where was Jon anyway? I'd think they'd have him cover the Denver race, since he lives in the area - or at least he used to.)

Cmndr Keen
08-16-04, 06:56 PM
I'm not a DD fan. When he's in the booth, he seems to talk about himself more than anything else. In the pit lane, there seem to be better pit reporters.

His best role was when he would wander the track during the race and add commentary from various points. (Remember when he was almost touching the cars at the hairpin at Long Beach? Wow!)

In Denver, with the crew of Benjamin, Kendall, Fish and Daly, DD was the weakest link. Replace Daly with Beekhuis, and I'm a happy camper. (Where was Jon anyway? I'd think they'd have him cover the Denver race, since he lives in the area - or at least he used to.)

Leave the booth as is. Daly works well as a pit reporter. Let the guys develop some chemistry.

nrc
08-16-04, 10:47 PM
I agree, leave it alone for a while. Now that Benjamin has toned down his NASCARisms a bit he's doing a pretty good job and is probably a better choice to attract a wider audience.\

cart7
08-17-04, 07:58 AM
I'd rather hear Parker back in the booth but since that won't happen I'll settle for what we have now.

4wheeldrifter
08-17-04, 10:36 AM
I'd rather hear Parker back in the booth but since that won't happen I'll settle for what we have now.

Ditto that one but I'm with R2C, I wouldn't mind hearing Daly in the booth again. Wasn't it him who screamed like a girl back in the mid 90's during a Milwaukee race (someone got sideways coming out of turn 4 as I recall). I miss that. :laugh:

Just don't get rid of Kendall. And find Jon.

racer2c
08-17-04, 10:47 AM
I didn't say remove Benjamin and TK, I said add a third voice in the booth to relieve TK from his 80% burden of carrying the broadcast. TK has a harsh voice as it is, he's not the one to carry a broadcast. It's obvious that he struggles.

As for Daly and his self centered tendencies, I like his insight and comfortable demeanor on camera and wish that TK would give more insight from his own experiences to compare cars to show Champ Cars as being a top tier series.

Benjamin should be the host, and there should be two play by play guys.
Like RM said, the Spike broadcasts are "unwatchable", while I think that is far from the truth, I do think three in the booth would help out tremendously and yes, Jon would be as good if not better than Daly.

Steve99
08-17-04, 11:05 AM
F1 broadcasts need 3 guys in the booth to cover up for some of the boring races. TK does seem to be carrying a heavy load in the booth. If anyone is added, make it Jon. He would be better in the booth than in the pits. He is good with the technical stuff, but I don't care for the way he does live, on-the-fly interviews. DD seems to do well in the pits.

KLang
08-17-04, 11:12 AM
Daly has been calling the Trans Am races with Benjamin and doing a decent job in my opinion. :thumbup: Unfortunatly I don't think there are very many people able to watch.

pchall
08-17-04, 11:15 AM
Hey, we could all be doing Paul Page!! :shakehead