PDA

View Full Version : Denver and Passing

FanofMario
08-16-04, 11:14 AM
Despite real misgivings of seeing Denver on the schedule again, I came away impressed with the course tweaks. There was a lot of passing and action throughout the race. Compliments to the tweakers! :thumbup:

KobySon
08-16-04, 11:16 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Don Quixote
08-16-04, 11:29 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup: I agree. The tweaking made the race. If the turn 1 reconfiguration had not been done, Seabass would have been into a concrete wall, end of game. The weather helped also. This is the first rain free weekend of the three races held there, and a bunch of rubber had been laid down on the wide turn 9 hairpin.

nrc
08-16-04, 11:38 AM
They called me mad when I posted after the first race in Denver that the track had potential. :laugh:

I think the combination of soft Bridgestones and a slippery, bumpy surface with some room to pass had a lot to do with it. I'm sure Bridgestone hates to hear talk about tires going off, but it helps create passing.

Steve99
08-16-04, 11:40 AM
It also helped that the tires went off before a full load of fuel could be used up. I think that helped cut down on the "slow down and save fuel" strategy that the TV announcers expected.

Chiphead_Dave
08-16-04, 02:59 PM
I didn't go this year as I didn't want to watch another parade in person.

Now I wish I had gone :cry:

13th to 1st thats some run.

tllips
08-16-04, 03:06 PM
That was a great drive by Seabass, but I was equally impressed with Mario only losing one position when he got sideways in turn 1. TK even mentioned how amazing it was that he got back into the fray so fast.

This was one of the most exciting street races I can remember.

Sean O'Gorman
08-16-04, 03:10 PM
Well, I'm always one of the first people here to complain about courses with the lack of passing, so I suppose I should also compliment courses with passing opportunities. Well done! It's not perfect, but it is a definite improvement. Still doesn't seem like a real race track with all those parking spots on the course, but it's not that big of a deal.

Dirty Sanchez
08-16-04, 03:16 PM
Still doesn't seem like a real race track with...Agreed. I was driving on a track longer than Denver this weekend. I do like that mile wide corner dealie though...

I haven't watched the race yet, so I can't really comment on it. From what I've read today, it sounds like I missed a good one.

racer2c
08-16-04, 03:18 PM
I haven't watched the race yet, so I can't really comment on it. From what I've read today, it sounds like I missed a good one.

It blew the F1 race away.

Dirty Sanchez
08-16-04, 03:25 PM
F1 was at the Hungaroring... that doesn't surprise me.

JoeBob
08-16-04, 05:09 PM
Interesting tidbit: The redesign of (the corner formerly known as) "mile wide turn 5" from a hairpin to a pair of corners was done by Sebastien Bourdais - on the back of a napkin. (After start/finish was moved, that corner became turn 9.)

Here's the story on the redesign: http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7855

Wheel-Nut
08-16-04, 05:14 PM
Wow, what a novel idea. Asking a driver what he would like to see in a race course!!

Nice job! :thumbup:

Chiphead_Dave
08-16-04, 05:32 PM
HMMMMMMM.

The guy who redesigns the track wins ..... sounds like a conspiracy.

oddlycalm
08-16-04, 05:42 PM
If all street races could be like this one, nobody would ever complain. Good tweaking of the course and finally what at fist blush seems like some sanity in the mandatory pit rules.

oc

Steve99
08-16-04, 05:49 PM
I got a good laugh when TK told RB that Turn 1 wasn't really a corner you could pass in, and then SeaBass (or someone else?) immediately pulls off a pass there.

Don Quixote
08-16-04, 06:09 PM
One other thought: if the turn 1 incident hadn't taken place, Seabass would have run away from the pack. We still would have had some action back in the field, but the buzz about this race would be much lower. So thank you Blinky for giving us some fireworks! :laugh:

cart7
08-17-04, 07:56 AM
I nearly didn't watch because of the old configuration which created anything but a raceable circuit. :thumbup: to the new Design. :cool:

Robstar
08-17-04, 07:20 PM
I got a good laugh when TK told RB that Turn 1 wasn't really a corner you could pass in, and then SeaBass (or someone else?) immediately pulls off a pass there.

:laugh: LOL... Me too - TK sounded quite condescending actually, & then SeaBass nailed it...

Megger
08-17-04, 07:47 PM
That was a great drive by Seabass, but I was equally impressed with Mario only losing one position when he got sideways in turn 1. TK even mentioned how amazing it was that he got back into the fray so fast.

This was one of the most exciting street races I can remember.

That was an awesome recovery!!! :thumbup: I think the last two races were pretty exciting!! Although I get excited about every race.

Railbird
08-17-04, 09:41 PM
I agree with DQ

The course was a big improvement but SeaBass getting punted with no damage made the show more exciting for the average viewer. Few as they may be.

I enjoyed the slightly better FCY management also.

Best race of the year imo