PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILER* Atlantics Denver

Sean O'Gorman
08-15-04, 01:19 PM
Looks like we have a first time winner. I've been following the race on live timing here at work and have no idea what happened, but Fogarty pit while leading with a lap or two to go, handing the win to Ronnie Bremer. Anyone have an idea why Fogarty had to pit?

reoracer
08-15-04, 06:45 PM
I heard Jon had some sort of drive thru penalty. I'm sure we will know soon enough...

And congrats to the new first time winner :) At least this week, he didn't need a new pair of underwear LOL Did you guys see what he did at RA? (I had a bird's eye view of it and he scared the crap outta me!)

My question now is what is the points spread between Fogarty and Dalziel. I thought Dalziel was penalized 5 points for illegal shocks at RA last week, but some places online show the points as a 1 point difference and some have them as 6 (which includes penalty).

Jen

theunions
08-15-04, 09:20 PM
1 point (no penalty) is correct.

Amanda B.'s Mom
08-15-04, 10:25 PM
The penalty was appealed and reversed.

RHR_Fan
08-15-04, 10:52 PM
Go Ronnie Bremmer! And Ryan Dalziel! And Bryan Sellers! And Andrew Ranger!!! :)

~Nicole

reoracer
08-16-04, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the update about the penalty reversal.
And those of you who know me know how I am responding to that news... LOL!

Jen

Fio1
08-22-04, 03:36 AM
The black flag for Fogarty was BS! What kind of mickey mouse rule is that? And, people wonder why there aren't any americans in f1. :shakehead If you teach young drivers to be passive w*nkers who can't race, or get a penalty when they do, then you'll get a bunch of guys who'll get passed left right and center if they dare show up to say F3000. Putting someone in the wall, or trying to, deserves a drive thru. Taking a defensive line, does not. Poor call, imo, very poor! :thumdown: :shakehead :confused:

nrc
08-22-04, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately it was the right call under the current interpretation of hte no blocking rule.

I hate blocking but I don't like the current interpretation of the rule. The lead driver should be able to take whatever line he likes as long has he's not moving in response to a move from the driver behind him.

As for F1, drivers who want to go to F1 should take the next flight to Europe. The reasons for that have nothing to do with the blocking rules in Atlantic.

RichK
08-23-04, 12:13 PM
Dumbest rule I've ever seen.

And the penalty for breaking it was way too severe, which makes it even worse.

:thumdown:

RHR_Fan
08-23-04, 01:28 PM
I was on TV during the Denver broadcast. You can see me during the RA podium shot. RDL & AR ran over to where I was standing and sprayed the champagne, but they were spraying it at RDL's family.

~Nicole

Fenster
08-23-04, 03:59 PM
It is a pretty dumb interpretation of the rule. It's not as if he made a second move in reaction to Ryan (yes, I realize that's not the rule) - he took one line into the turn. And the penalty couldn't have been more severe. Jon, leading the race and championship, gets sent back to sixth as a result and gets his championship points lead dropped down to one point with only two races to go! Add that to the fact that Sierra had the ruling from RA (illegal shock parts) reversed and got those points back (for Ryan's win), and we're talking about a huge swing in points. I only hope that these things aren't what ends up deciding the championship. That would be a real shame to say the least.

Fio1
08-24-04, 01:07 AM
Why did they decide to change the rules into this nonsense? :shakehead

Easy
08-24-04, 09:39 AM
Why did they decide to change the rules into this nonsense? :shakehead

The stewards going over the top to try and ensure there is no blocking whatsoever. I don't believe the rule is in writing but the new judgement on blocking is if you deviate from your standard racing line. I'm not sure anyone likes it but it is in place for the time being.

Fio1
08-25-04, 01:02 AM
The stewards going over the top to try and ensure there is no blocking whatsoever. I don't believe the rule is in writing but the new judgement on blocking is if you deviate from your standard racing line. I'm not sure anyone likes it but it is in place for the time being.

So, if one brakes at the 'oh s**** sign' and misses the apex by 10 feet, should he be expected to get a black flag if the guy following him panics and doesn't pass him, when he left the door open? Same s****, the guy infront didn't take his standard racing line. :laugh:

Only in America do they try and change rules that have been in racing for 100 plus years. Why is it that 200 FIA series around the world do just fine without this stupidity? :shakehead

F-it, F.Atlantics is dead anyways. $20 says there will be no Atlantics next year. And, this 'Porsche Club of America time trials' type rule doesn't help save this series. Too bad, because it was a great series! When foggy won the title Atlantics was the funest series in open wheel racing.

Jon Fogarty won the race! :cool:

FCYTravis
08-25-04, 04:37 PM
The blocking rules aren't killing Atlantics, the costs are.

$1 million a year for a feeder series is insane. Star Mazda showed that you don't have to pay seven figures to get 240 hp, and TA went in the ****ter.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see another feeder series partner with Champ Car next year... hint: these guys have a blue oval on the ramscoop.

Easy
08-26-04, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see another feeder series partner with Champ Car next year... hint: these guys have a blue oval on the ramscoop.

Either the blue oval or a rotary engine.

And either one would slot in above F-BMW.

Sean O'Gorman
08-30-04, 11:00 PM
Well, I guess you could say after yesterday's Champ Car race that at least the driving etiquette rules in Atlantics prepare them for Champ Car. :rolleyes:

Fenster
08-30-04, 11:18 PM
Well, I guess you could say after yesterday's Champ Car race that at least the driving etiquette rules in Atlantics prepare them for Champ Car. :rolleyes:

What exactly are you referring to? The whole final chicane hubbub?