PDA

View Full Version : ChampCar serious about Calgary

SurfaceUnits
08-13-04, 12:56 PM
By TY PILSON, CALGARY SUN
Fri, August 13, 2004

Calgary likely will know by mid-September if a Champ Car race will be held here in 2005, the general manager of Molson Indy said yesterday. Bob Singleton, talking to the media for the first time since scouting locations here last month, said while a race could be added to the docket at a later date, he'd prefer to have a decision made by next month to coincide with Champ Car's release of its 2005 schedule.

"You could make an argument you could make it (in time) for the '05 schedule," said Singleton, who stressed the process of adding a Molson Indy in Calgary to join the races they sanction in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal is still in the preliminary stages.

"As I've said and I maintain, there's nothing firmed up in Calgary. We look at any opportunity we can, whether it be Calgary or Edmonton or Thunder Bay, or whatever the case may be.

"But, certainly, Calgary is a city we've had a good look at."

A Champ Car spokesman said yesterday the racing series would welcome an additional Molson Indy in Calgary in 2005.

"Absolutely," said Wendy Gabers.

"There's still a chance if both sides involved could get everything worked out in time."

The Calgary Stampede Board and Race City Motorsport Park have expressed interest in hosting the race, the former submitting an official proposal.

"We took a serious look at the city of Calgary," said Singleton, before adding the Stampede Grounds and Race City "certainly make the most sense."

"The Stampede does hold a big event now and the infrastructure is there. Same with Race City.

"They were the two that jump off the page for you."

Singleton wouldn't get any more specific at this juncture about his visit to Calgary or what the next step in the process will be.

"Anytime you do a temporary street circuit you have to come and take a look," said Singleton of his tire-kicking visit. "We did the same thing in Toronto and Vancouver. That was the reason for the trip. Do our due diligence and gather our information, which we've done, and we'll see where we go from there."

jonovision_man
08-13-04, 01:15 PM
"The Stampede does hold a big event now and the infrastructure is there. Same with Race City.

Racy City??? Say it ain't so:
http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/NAmerica/racecity.html

cart7
08-13-04, 02:01 PM
:thumbup: Another street race! Yaaaaaa :thumbup:

anait
08-13-04, 02:57 PM
I'm guessing Winnipeg doesn't have the population base ChampCar wants...and no matter how much prairie fans want a race here, it might be hard to convince enough people on city council. :( But it could be soooo pretty... The start/finish could be on Main Street, a long straight south with a hairpin at the bridge...then back up Main, turn left onto Broadway...past the Legislature, turn up Memorial...then up to Portage for a bit, turn left up Hargrave, cross Main somewhere to get into the Exchange District for a little Monaco-style tight n' twisty...exiting onto Riverfront Drive, past the ballpark, right up Pioneer, right onto Westbrook, a quick left up to Portage and Main, with a tight left back onto Main for the finish.

Heheheh...that's probably the most problem-filled layout in the history of motor racing...lotsa straights. But it's fun to pretend. :p Here's a huge map of downtown. I don't know how to Photoshop.

http://www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com/index/downtown_map_full

jonovision_man
08-13-04, 03:03 PM
I'm guessing Winnipeg doesn't have the population base ChampCar wants...and no matter how much prairie fans want a race here, it might be hard to convince enough people on city council. :( But it could be soooo pretty... The start/finish could be on Main Street, a long straight south with a hairpin at the bridge...then back up Main, turn left onto Broadway...swing around the Legislature, turn up Memorial...then up to Portage for a bit, turn left up Hargrave, cross Main somewhere to get into the Exchange District for a little Monaco-style tight n' twisty...exiting onto Riverfront Drive, past the ballpark, up Pioneer, and a tight left back onto Main for the finish.

Heheheh...that's probably the most problem-filled layout in the history of motor racing...lotsa straights. But it's fun to pretend. :p Here's a huge map of downtown. I don't know how to Photoshop.

http://www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com/index/downtown_map_full

Just slap on some snow tires... :)

jono (from t.o. ;))

Mr. Vengeance
08-13-04, 03:05 PM
Racy City??? Say it ain't so:
http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/NAmerica/racecity.html

I wouldn't worry too much about Race City being the venue. My take is they want to go the Watkins Glen route and get someone else to pay for the (many, expensive) necessary upgrades.

The layout would SUCK for Champ Cars. It's fine for what it's used for, but it needs to completely re-configured before they even begin to think about hosting a CCWS event.

anait
08-13-04, 03:40 PM
Just slap on some snow tires... :)

jono (from t.o. ;))

Yeah, summer would be good. :D August or September, not much rain, not +30, not -30.

Methanolandbrats
08-13-04, 04:19 PM
Not another parade. Geezus, doe'snt Canada have any real racetracks?

jonovision_man
08-13-04, 07:50 PM
Not another parade. Geezus, doe'snt Canada have any real racetracks?

Mosport :) It's awesome, ex-F1 circuit, natural terrain, almost every inch of track is an elevation change.

But would need a LOT of upgrades for run-off areas and grandstands, and it's very near Toronto which already has the Molson Indy downtown, which frankly is a great location for it.

JT265
08-14-04, 08:47 AM
Mosport :) It's awesome, ex-F1 circuit, natural terrain, almost every inch of track is an elevation change.

But would need a LOT of upgrades for run-off areas and grandstands, and it's very near Toronto which already has the Molson Indy downtown, which frankly is a great location for it.

Have another look.

Dr. Don spent cubic $$$ on run-offs etc. Paddock needs some more, but pit lane is workable now.

Grandstands? Psst.........Jono, use rented ones. Just like Toronto.

Besides, no one goes to ChampCar races, right?? Ask Wiiilke.

pferrf1
08-14-04, 09:20 AM
Have another look.

Dr. Don spent cubic $$$ on run-offs etc. Paddock needs some more, but pit lane is workable now.

Mosport is still far away from being able to host Champ Cars. Turns 1,2,5,8,9,10 would still need major re-working to be safe enough.

What is the point anyway, CCWS would not want 2 Toronto races.

BTW - I would consider Montreal and Mont Tremblant to be real race tracks. ;)

jonovision_man
08-14-04, 11:00 AM
Have another look.

I was there last weekend, the runoffs are still more or less the same, ie. almost none and then a concrete wall. It's nowhere near adequate.

You could use rented grandstands, but it's not easy at Mosport, the access to some choice locations (ie. turn 5) is limited, tough to get equipment in there.

I would love to see Champcars at Mosport, but I'm really not holding my breath... the CNE grounds have worked out really well for the current Toronto race.

jono

TorontoWorker
08-14-04, 05:10 PM
Mosport is still far away from being able to host Champ Cars. Turns 1,2,5,8,9,10 would still need major re-working to be safe enough.

What is the point anyway, CCWS would not want 2 Toronto races.

BTW - I would consider Montreal and Mont Tremblant to be real race tracks. ;)

Funny thing is...

During the recent ALMS race, Don gave an interview for the Mosport radio/LeMans Webcast that had a lot of us sitting up and taking notice.

He said that if you think you've seen upgrades around here, just watch again. These are not direct quotes but close.

There is LOTS of room to create runoff areas at the corners you listed. I would also add corner 4 to your list. The last section of armco should be gone soon I hear - the section from just past 5C to just before 7.

ChampCar here would be great but will never happen unless Toronto (CNE) is somehow killed off. I would think that the cost of running the event at Mosport would be cheaper - but who amoung drivers and fans alike wants to stay at motel along the 401 from Bowmanville to Whitby?? It would also about kill off any pre race events in Toronto. No the City of Toronto would never let this event leave and Molson wouldn't get much out of a race that is an hour from the city core. Pity - Mosport kicks a$$ - but the paddock expanded for the 4th time or not is still around the ice age when it comes to user friendly. Don't even get me going about the washrooms - we just got flush toilets 4 years ago - that should tell you something!

We're happy with sports cars - we got 40k for ALMS last weekend, we're happy. Would love a 24 hour race of course!

jonovision_man
08-14-04, 05:45 PM
We're happy with sports cars - we got 40k for ALMS last weekend, we're happy. Would love a 24 hour race of course!

Seemed really well attended this year, good weather especially on Sunday.

I was happy to see the Speed World Challenge running so many races, 3 in one weekend, and even happier that Fellows one it in the Caddy! :) That was the hilight of the weekend.

The entry list for ALMS was depressing, though, the prototype class having been decimated... we've seen the Panoz prototype program gone, the factory Audis gone, the Cadillac team gone, it's pretty slim now. Was nice to see the Dyson battle it out and actually beat the Audi, though!

Do you know if Mosport has anything else cooking? Now that the Trans Am weekend is gonzo, would be great to see something new. I'll be at ALMS every year, though. :thumbup: