PDA

View Full Version : Fuel loads at the start. of races dictated in new rules

pchall
02-14-03, 03:21 PM
Autosport is reporting that Formula 1 cars will have to start GPs with the same fuel load that they finished Saturday qualifying with according the
new regulations introduced for the 2003 season.

I'm not quite sure what they want to accomplish here, except mix up the grid a bit more. It seems to me that everybody with a serious chance to win or place will send the cars out to qualify with the fuel load for their first segment plus whatever is necessary for qualfying. Any team that sends cars out with a short tank will just get eaten up by the stop needed to get them on a proper schedule.

Anyone see something good about this new rule?

mapguy
02-14-03, 03:24 PM
Just when you think Max Mosley couldn't come up with something wackier... :rolleyes:

Max Mosley is an idiot.

Hink
02-14-03, 03:25 PM
This is such a load.

Joe in LA
02-18-03, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Hink
This is such a load.

True, but the question is whether its a full load, part load or light load after qualifying. :)

I think Max is looking to change everything the Ferrari brain trust is perceived as being good at--one being fuel strategy--so they have to work on new strategies. The problem I see is that the teams at the front of the grid usually gain a bigger advantage when rules change, not the other way around.

Hink
02-18-03, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Joe in LA
The problem I see is that the teams at the front of the grid usually gain a bigger advantage when rules change, not the other way around.

I agree. The teams with more money tend to be able to improve more quickly after a rules change, but the low budget teams get left behind. 1997 is a decent example. Even Prost could run in the top 3, Benneton could win, Jordan finishing second. 1998 with the grooved tires and narrow track is mostly McLaren and a resurgent Ferrari with the money looking the best.

To be honest - the way Barichello drove through the field in that one race last year after starting at the back it's hard to tell if it matters much where that team qualifies.