PDA

View Full Version : Going to Indy what CHAMP CAR stuff is there to see?

jcollins28
08-12-04, 01:49 PM
I'm going to Indy for a few weeks and would love to get a chance to see some team shops and things like that. Can anyone here give me some pointers and what to see and how to go about it. When it comes to seeing a teams shop should I call or just show up at the door? What kinds of things can you see when you visit a shop? Thanks for any info you can give me. This will be my first trip into Indy so any pointers on good eats and things like that would be helpful as well.

Wabbit
08-12-04, 02:38 PM
Contact Forsythe Racing. I was able to get a tour in May, and found it pretty cool.

Ed_Severson
08-12-04, 03:08 PM
Walker Racing
4035 Championship Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46268
317-387-1500

Forsythe Racing
7231 Georgetown Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46268
317-216-9000

PKV Racing
4001 Methanol Ln.
Indianapolis, IN 46268
317-291-1500

Mi-Jack Conquest Racing
8010 Woodland Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46278
317-870-0007

Herdez Competition
57A Gasoline Alley
Indianapolis, IN 46222
317-241-3955

Of these five, the only shop I've had a tour of was Herdez. I interviewed there a few months ago, so I got a pretty nice tour -- transporters, CNC machines, shock dynos, car bays, pit stop practice area, engineering offices, etc. I don't know if they normally do that for visitors/tourists, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

I've also been to Forsythe's shop, though I didn't take a tour. I can tell you that it's by far the biggest of the shops in Indianapolis, and I know of several people who have been able to arrange tours for themselves. From the front lobby, it also appears to have a high "fit and finish" level, as you would expect.

Your primary obstacle is going to be finding much to see this time of year. With Denver this weekend, an open test in Vegas following that, and Montreal in two weeks, the teams are on the road a lot. There will be some folks in the shops, but not nearly as much activity as you would expect in, say, April or May. Also, in consideration of how busy the teams are right now, I would strongly recommend that you call ahead and try to make an appointment. Most teams aren't going to be overly willing to accommodate surprise visitors.

Let me know where you're staying and I can help you out with food and other activities. You can PM me or e-mail me ... I'm not picky.
:)

Spicoli
08-12-04, 07:45 PM
I can get you a tour of Stefan's shop anytime.

pkvracing12
08-12-04, 08:17 PM
Jiffy Lube to visit BIF

cart7
08-12-04, 08:47 PM
Go to the Coke lot at the speedway. About 100 yds up the creek from Georgetown road, I lost a Cart hat in the mud about 10 years or so ago while I was crossing. It's probably still there. ;)

RTKar
08-12-04, 09:04 PM
Got any Champcar stickers? ;)

Railbird
08-12-04, 09:47 PM
Don't miss the Classy Chassy

Methanolandbrats
08-12-04, 10:08 PM
Tour the IMS museum. Just ignore anything newer than 1996 that is on display.

Lizzerd
08-12-04, 11:27 PM
Go to Union Jack Pub at Crawfordsville Road and High School Road. Actually, it's on 25th St., but you'll see it from there. Look for the sign with a Union Jack on it, duh... Great food and about a hundred different kinds of beer. It's not really a CC place, but it is definately a racing-type place. Tons of pics, helmets, and other stuff on display. Try a deep dish pizza! It takes three people to eat a small one.

Spicoli
08-13-04, 08:22 AM
Go to Union Jack Pub at Crawfordsville Road and High School Road. Actually, it's on 25th St., but you'll see it from there. Look for the sign with a Union Jack on it, duh... Great food and about a hundred different kinds of beer. It's not really a CC place, but it is definately a racing-type place. Tons of pics, helmets, and other stuff on display. Try a deep dish pizza! It takes three people to eat a small one.

Overrated, in a crappy part of town, and full of Gomers.

Wait. They hate TG too now. :saywhat: Might be worth a visit. Like Lizzerd sez - great Deep Dish pie. there's one in Broad Ripple too. In Broad Ripple, most women have all their teeth as well.

Chaos
08-13-04, 08:57 AM
In Broad Ripple, most women have all their teeth as well.

that makes it all worth it!