PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Tanks vs Green Flag Stops?

Andrew Longman
08-11-04, 11:48 AM
What are thoughts about going to a smaller fuel cell instead of the mandatory green pit rule.

I believe this would reduce the chance someone could win on a conservation run, while rewarding good pit work, good strategy and speed, but still bring in a bit of the unexpected.

I feel good for Tags and Rocketsport andI think it is good for the sport if new faces win regularly, but the pit rule seems too artificial to me. I also had a lot of RA regulars, but perhaps less informed CCWS fans around me in the T5 stands asking me to explain what was going on and how the pit rule worked. If I hadn't explained it they would have no clue why Tags won (The PA announcer was no help).

Pitting when you actually need fuel and tires just is so much easier to understand.

KLang
08-11-04, 12:10 PM
I don't know what the answer is but it is nice to not have the fuel conservation runs as much these days. I did notice however, over the scanner NH was instructing SB to conserve fuel on the pace laps and yellow laps at the beginning.

On the other hand, even with a scanner, it was tough trying to keep track of who had pitted and under what flag conditions. TV usually does a better job at that then the track announcers.

Was the issue this past weekend just caused by the length of the track? Perhaps just a rule modification of some sort for a track this long?

Methanolandbrats
08-11-04, 12:32 PM
The pit rules are a mess. At RA a great race was ruined by them. Sebastian, PT and Bruno came by absolutely flogging their cars and then they disappeared. Just give em lots of fuel and drop the rag. Most drivers drive flat out, some conserve fuel, sometimes a fuel conservation strategy works, sometimes it does'nt. The pit windows have to go. They SUCK.

Andrew Longman
08-11-04, 01:57 PM
The pit rules are a mess. At RA a great race was ruined by them. Sebastian, PT and Bruno came by absolutely flogging their cars and then they disappeared. Just give em lots of fuel and drop the rag. Most drivers drive flat out, some conserve fuel, sometimes a fuel conservation strategy works, sometimes it does'nt. The pit windows have to go. They SUCK.

Yes.

They could give them enough fuel to run the entire race without stopping but I don't think that is practical or safe and removes the teamwork and strategy elements of pitting that I/many find interesting. So I don' think that is a better option.

I think everyone likes the fact that for the last few years guys have been running flat out. The push to pass just adds to that and most seem to think that is a step inthe right direction.

The pit window situation only took one year to manufacture a goofy win in Australia so I think that had to change

The current green flag rule makes for some very confusing strategy that requires TK to explain every week.

I guess it could be argued that NH and Forsythe blew it at RA when they didn't pit just as the race went green and the window was open. They could have known that guys at the back like Tags were going to pit and without some other luck they would be eukered. (at least I think that would have been the thing to do. I'm so confused :confused: )

That's why I think they need smaller cells. If anyway you work it you are still going to need 4-5 stops then you can't really conserve enough to help, so just run flat out. Also, with that much pitting it puts a premium on good in/out laps and pit work.

Steve99
08-11-04, 02:37 PM
Just get rid of the mandatory pit stops as long as everyone is using the Ford engine. Does it even allow you to adjust fuel mixture anymore? If so, get rid of that option.

Insomniac
08-11-04, 08:23 PM
No more fuel mixture control. Why not a larger tank and gasoline? Only pit for tires.

RichK
08-11-04, 08:26 PM
The pit rules are a mess. The pit windows have to go. They SUCK.

That's for sure. After I realized what was going on with the yellow/green pitting situation at RA, I pretty much lost interest in the race and Tivo'ed through to the end pretty quickly.

Making someone pit under specific circumstances is artificial, and ruins the whole race for me.

Railbird
08-11-04, 08:41 PM
Why not a larger tank and gasoline? Only pit for tires.

Qualifying it with my fear of gasoline I like the idea of tire only stops. Maybe one or two based on compound choice.

I agree that while the current deal allows everyine to get after it, I also think it's way too confusing.

Kiwifan
08-11-04, 09:05 PM
I've been thinking, ;) it's all about the Championship right? Why don't we just give them the tyres and fuel and say "go for it" but the winner will get 10 points more than second place and second will get 5 points more than......, that way you need to do well in the race to do well in the Championship.

That way we should get more people going for the win like PT and SB and not being conservative like Junky. I don't have a problem with people saving fuel or having a good/lucky strategy but to me it's all about going balls-out for the win. Let the driver win the race not some decision made in the pits. imho. ;)

Rusty.

FTG
08-11-04, 09:32 PM
The problem is people trying to do a race in one less stop. (Drive lower, but finish sooner.) Making a win more important, will just encourage those further back in the field to slow down, save fuel and try to luck their way into a win.

I think one mandatory stop near the end, would fix the problem, and I think that is what they just announced.

Methanolandbrats
08-11-04, 09:42 PM
Does any other sanctioning body use "pit windows" or mandatory stops as the solution to a "fuel economy run" problem? I don't think so. Just give em all the fuel they want, no more driver adjustments of fuel trim and go racing. The fast guys will go balls out, the slow guys might hang back and occasionally win, but so what. At RA slow guys went to the front and a great race was ruined because the confusing rules caused exactly what they were supposed to prevent.

RTKar
08-11-04, 10:07 PM
Clean up the track quicker during yellows, if possible (ie;cranes) and at a course like RA there's little need to go FCY,unless of course there's a major situation. There would then be less opportunity to conserve fuel. The FCY's at RA had a few of us shaking our heads.

Railbird
08-11-04, 10:08 PM
latest version (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8187)

Insomniac
08-12-04, 08:28 AM
Qualifying it with my fear of gasoline I like the idea of tire only stops. Maybe one or two based on compound choice.

I agree that while the current deal allows everyine to get after it, I also think it's way too confusing.

It also just occured to me that if they're going to pit for tires, they're going to get fuel too. Might as well run lighter, unless CCWS decided that no one gets a fuel tank for refilling.

Andrew Longman
08-12-04, 02:17 PM
latest version (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8187)

Hmmm.

I think this works so long as they put it towards the end of the race, setting up a sprint at the finish and eliminating any advantage of fuel conservation early.

In general it certainly is simplier and eliminates goofy strategies