PDA

View Full Version : The Brickyard torn up and sold!

nrc
08-11-04, 12:11 AM
It's true!

Work began Monday to tear up the 2½-mile oval track at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway...

Speedway spokesman Ron Green said the famed yard of bricks that marks the start/finish line, as well as pieces of the old asphalt, will be sold to the public through a licensed company.

See here (http://sports.myway.com/news/08092004/v0510.html) for the full story.

Ok. So I did edit the story some. Still, it's appropriate that Tony is tearing up the yard of bricks to sell them off.

Ziggy
08-11-04, 12:22 AM
I have a garage full of them!

from the great rumble strip installment

nz_climber
08-11-04, 01:17 AM
I say we steal the bricks and build our own track :p

Railbird
08-11-04, 06:42 AM
I paved a walk and bordered a garden with those frickin' things when I was a kid.

Rogue Leader
08-11-04, 08:01 AM
I hate to say it, but I'd buy one of those.... why?? because the bricks were there long before FTG, and represent a generation of real race car drivers, when the Indy 500 actually meant something.

Redwing
08-11-04, 08:33 AM
The IRL must be in big financial trouble, or maybe the Frances are moving it to Florida.

Methanolandbrats
08-11-04, 08:39 AM
FTG is missing his big chance to pursue tradition and build the World's biggest dirt track.

pchall
08-11-04, 08:56 AM
I wonder how much the Gomers will be willing to pay for a sacred brick from the S/F line?

Turn7
08-11-04, 09:10 AM
Depends on if it is the one Jeff Gordon kissed. If it is the price will go up being that he is a 4 time indy winner.

Brickman
08-11-04, 11:19 AM
I put some in a BBQ I had built. I'd rather worship the bricks than the pavement that's over them.

rabbit
08-11-04, 11:50 AM
The Brickyard torn up and sold! That's the headline that should have run when FTG said those magic words, "25 guaranteed starting spots."

JLMannin
08-11-04, 11:57 AM
I wonder how much the Gomers will be willing to pay for a sacred brick from the S/F line?

A lot, as they will have to out-bid the NASCAR fans.

cartmanoz
08-11-04, 04:18 PM
I'd buy one...

Then hurl it straight at that idiot's head.

nz_climber
08-11-04, 08:15 PM
:rofl:

Rogue Leader
08-12-04, 07:56 AM
The track is finally developing some character and some bumps. It may hurt Indy cars, but it helps us," Nextel Cup points leader Jimmie Johnson told the Indianapolis Star. "We can actually look to the outside for a second groove.

I almost wanted to yell at him about this comment and how those bumps could sent an Indycar to Planet Krypton if they hit them the wrong way, besides the fact that its history is that of an open wheel track, and open wheel cars are the main event there, but then I thought its not his fault that his race is the MAIN EVENT at the Brickyard now. Heck they should build some new bumps in for these NASCAR guys, noone cares about the 500 anymore!

Madmaxfan2
08-12-04, 12:42 PM
The last comment sez it all. NASCAR is so confident of itself there is no shame in one of it's up comming stars to make such a comment as that
Watch out Jimmy, true character ovals track are often also not safe. Witness Langhorne, That track has character all right. So did Saniar.
Pocano is also maginal too, yet many drivers think that track has character.

Rogue Leader
08-12-04, 07:26 PM
The last comment sez it all. NASCAR is so confident of itself there is no shame in one of it's up comming stars to make such a comment as that
Watch out Jimmy, true character ovals track are often also not safe. Witness Langhorne, That track has character all right. So did Saniar.
Pocano is also maginal too, yet many drivers think that track has character.

I ran on both Pocono and Daytona in a Formula Dodge in the past 8 months... Daytona was Bumpier. For some reason Pocono looks like crap on TV but the track surface actually had a lot of grip and was pretty smooth compared to Daytona. The infield roadcourse had awesome grip there (probably cause noone uses it much). Daytona way down low is VERY bumpy, and the infield roadcourse was like Ice racing it was so slick.

cart7
08-12-04, 08:53 PM
I paved a walk and bordered a garden with those frickin' things when I was a kid.
I hope there were no RIGHT turns in that little walk of yours! :D

Madmaxfan2
08-13-04, 06:33 PM
I ran on both Pocono and Daytona in a Formula Dodge in the past 8 months... Daytona was Bumpier. For some reason Pocono looks like crap on TV but the track surface actually had a lot of grip and was pretty smooth compared to Daytona. The infield roadcourse had awesome grip there (probably cause noone uses it much). Daytona way down low is VERY bumpy, and the infield roadcourse was like Ice racing it was so slick.

Thanks for the info first hand. Daytona has not had even a testing session for champ cars, so I was going off the original comments made during the last CART years at Pocono.