PDA

View Full Version : Ben Blake on NASCAR's "Race for 10th Place"

RichK
08-10-04, 02:13 PM
I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I always enjoy Ben Blake's commentary on SPEED.

HERE'S (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/12355/) a good one.

jonovision_man
08-10-04, 02:26 PM
I tend to agree.

In racing, you face every opponent every race, and the season really is a comprehensive comparisson of how good you are relative to everyone else... there is no need for a playoff like in team sports where you face competition "unevenly".

Brickman
08-10-04, 02:40 PM
NASCAR's new system is just piss poor. It's not about how good you do as much as how bad you don't do. The "chase" last 10 races will magnify it even more. Someone can finish out of the top ten each of the races, as long as he doesn't have 40th place finishes he could be the Champion. :thumdown:

Oh... and I liked going to the BY400. I agree that "The Chase" takes all races but the last ten down a few notches.

JoeBob
08-10-04, 04:01 PM
Many forms of racing have relied on the "late race yellow" to bunch the field and ensure themselves an exciting finish. NASCAR has simply applied this concept to the championship.

cart7
08-10-04, 04:02 PM
The interesting part comes in the last 10 races, teammates of top 10 drivers can cause all kinds of havoc with other top 10 drivers. This could be the equivalent of roller derby with V8's and fenders. :gomer:

DaveL
08-10-04, 07:16 PM
It's the most assinine points system I've ever seen. Jimmy Johnson will see everything he and his team worked for up until this point evaporate and the results essentially invalidated.

I can't believe NASCAR got that upset over boring ol' Matt Kenseth winning the championship last year.

Rogue Leader
08-10-04, 07:19 PM
This years championship is the most contrived BS in racing since FTG made the top teams subsidize the last 10 losers at Indy. Even Dale Jr and Jimmie Johnson said these races don't matter because of their points placing... they are just circling around trying stuff out and trying not to get killed. Once the Top 10 are set I'd almost bet money there will be plenty of shady moves pulled off by teammates at every race after it.

pchall
08-10-04, 07:33 PM
... This could be the equivalent of roller derby with V8's and fenders. :gomer:

So, this is something new?