PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Controls Out?

TedN
08-10-04, 08:46 AM
Anyone here have insight into THIS (http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58107)

Ted

Wolverine
08-10-04, 09:05 AM
I would guess that the Rocketsports relationship with Johnson Controls is pretty much just a B2B relationship anyway - not a true sponsorship. Johnson Controls has no hospitality presence at the track (nor does anyone else for that matter), and I see no other efforts to leverage their "sponsorship." I appears to be nothing more than their name on the sidepods and team uniforms.

Give PG credit, though, because he understand the importance of maintaining at least the appearance of sponsorship by having someone's name on the sidepods. Better to present the illusion of real $$$-paying sponsorship, than to run around with blank sidepods that scream "no sponsor interest."

FTG
08-10-04, 09:41 AM
I think PG develops real estate. I think his company buys a ton of stuff from Johnson Controls. I'd expect Johnson Controls to stick around in some capacity unless PG stops developing real estate. (Few companies like to piss off their big customers.)

At least, I think that is how that sponsorship works.

FTG
08-10-04, 10:28 AM
If true, and it's not exactly the most reliable source, it could also be good news. PG may have found a sponsor who is more interested in Champ Car and willing to write a bigger check then Johnson Controls.

Al Czervik
08-10-04, 02:15 PM
I go fishing every fall with one of the higher ups from Johnson Controls. I know for a fact he was very pleased about the win over the weekend, and he has no knowledge about the sponsorship ending.

Of course, by higher up I mean a tall service tech, the win was Greg Maddox's 300th, and, not being a race fan, doesn't know that Johnson Controls even sponsors a car. Take every rumor with several grains of salt.

jonovision_man
08-10-04, 02:30 PM
Give PG credit, though, because he understand the importance of maintaining at least the appearance of sponsorship by having someone's name on the sidepods. Better to present the illusion of real $$$-paying sponsorship, than to run around with blank sidepods that scream "no sponsor interest."

Jimmy

Ryan

Tags? :)

Anyway, I agree, now that they are a private company the illusion of sponsor interest is more important than ever. Points to stability that may or may not be there, who knows, thankfully we no longer have to examine balance sheets and cash flows. :)

Rogue Leader
08-10-04, 07:03 PM
Johnson Controls makes the "Homelink" line of products which has been on PG's Trans Am cars for quite a few years now. I would assume he has a pretty close relationship with them, and I wouldnt take this rumor with a grain of salt....

datachicane
08-10-04, 08:07 PM
Rocketsports' hospitality is (ostensibly :D) dry per Johnson Controls request (according to Paul, anyway). That would seem to imply quite a bit more clout than one would expect from a phantom sponsor...