PDA

View Full Version : Vasser is the hope for ASTJ

CART2Day
02-14-03, 12:25 PM
Interesting:

ST. PETERSBURG -- The way Stefan Johansson tells it, former CART champion Jimmy Vasser was his first choice in his search for a veteran driver to anchor his first-year team.

Vasser happens to be American.

What a coincidence.

Vasser and rookie Ryan Hunter-Reay, the only Americans CART drivers this season, are teammates at American Spirit Team Johansson. In addition to winning, they hope to promote Champ Car racing to a somewhat reluctant American audience. >>>MORE:
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/14/Sports/Spirit_is_lone_US_hop.shtml

CART2DAY

Don Quixote
02-14-03, 01:36 PM
My wife's cousin from Sweden tells me that Stafan's nickname during his racing days was Lillõvis. He had a reputation of having terrible race day luck. Even to this day, if someone has bad luck in any context, they call it a Lillõvis. I think this is the team to root for in 2003, for us followers of hopeless underdogs. Good Luck Stephan!

JLMannin
02-14-03, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
I think this is the team to root for in 2003, for us followers of hopeless underdogs. Good Luck Stephan!

I, too, have this affliction. I'm always drawn to the little, low budget team with potentail talent quests.

CART2Day
02-14-03, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
I, too, have this affliction. I'm always drawn to the little, low budget team with potentail talent quests.

"sigma autosport" :laugh:

JLMannin
02-14-03, 03:38 PM
And Coyne (at various times), Walker (same disclaimer), Arnd Meier's team, Menard and Hemmelgarn (pre-IRL), Dick Simon, Leader Card Racing (the later years), Tony B's team, etc, etc

Gurneyflap
02-14-03, 09:54 PM
And in a Ferrari up against that wall at Imola in flames? Who was that? I still can't believe it. I hope they can win SOMETHING this year.

Gurneyflap
02-14-03, 09:55 PM
Oh, was that GB? (It's Valentine's Day, I've had a few!)