PDA

View Full Version : Track Safety Worker Killed in New Hampshire

Elmo T
08-09-04, 08:30 AM
I hate to see these things happen. The support folks (safety teams, corner workers, & everyone that makes the race possible) seldom get the credit they deserve. My prayers to all those affected by this tragedy.

Speed disputed in fatality (http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showfast.html?article=41943)

New Hampshire Safety Crew Member Struck And Killed At Twin State Speedway (http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=39&id=33818)

Michaelhatesfans
08-09-04, 10:26 AM
Tragic, indeed. :(

cart7
08-09-04, 11:18 AM
That's sad. :( I don't know what SOP is at that track for debris is but it seems pretty dangerous to be sending safety workers running onto a 1 mile oval to pick up debris and hope that the race control monitors their presence on the track. I'd think on a track that large you'd go out in a safety truck for a bigger on-track presence.

VtOpenWheel
08-09-04, 01:41 PM
That's sad. :( I don't know what SOP is at that track for debris is but it seems pretty dangerous to be sending safety workers running onto a 1 mile oval to pick up debris and hope that the race control monitors their presence on the track. I'd think on a track that large you'd go out in a safety truck for a bigger on-track presence.

I'm not sure where you got the 1 mile oval idea but it's not. Haven't been there in 20 something years, but the track website lists it as 1/3 mile oval (it happened at Twin State Speedway in Claremont, not New Hampshire Int'l aka Loudon).
While these circumstances are difficult no matter where they happen, in these small communities something like this is especially tough. Most of those guys work several of the small tracks up here, and as was the case here, they are typically involved with one or more volunteer fire departments. So the loss is tremendous in more ways than one. Add to that the fact that Calais (his home town in VT) is just getting over the loss of a native son from the war in Iraq. Fortunately in these tough times the strength of a small community really shines through.
My thoughts to his family and friends.

cart7
08-09-04, 02:06 PM
Didn't know, I saw this in the article

which is described as a Ð-mile, semi-banked asphalt oval.

Assumed that meant a D shaped mile oval.

VtOpenWheel
08-09-04, 02:13 PM
Didn't know, I saw this in the article

which is described as a Ð-mile, semi-banked asphalt oval.

Assumed that meant a D shaped mile oval.

Yeah, that confused me as well. I don't know if they were trying to do a 1/3 and it ended up w/ that symbol or what. I knew it couldn't be a 1 mile oval or that would have meant I was really drunk the times that I was there (which isn't entirely impossible).

RichK
08-09-04, 02:40 PM
Very sad. Stuff happens REALLY fast on a 1/3 mile oval, which is practically a velodrome with cars on it.