PDA

View Full Version : Mopar Thunder at Eldora

rabbit
08-08-04, 08:13 PM
'bird, Ziggy, any of you guys make it over for it? I went Saturday night. It was actually my first trip to Eldora. Nice place but the track was horrible and made for an uneventful race. It rubbered really quick (during hot laps :eek: ) and made it a one-lane track for the feature. Kevin Huntley drove a great race though and withstood some serious pressure from Sammy Swindell. The drive of the night had to be Mike Brecht, 26th to 12th on a track nobody else could pass on.

rabbit
08-08-04, 10:22 PM
Just remembered, you guys were probably at Road America.

Don't worry, you didn't miss much.

Ziggy
08-08-04, 10:42 PM
Kevin Huntley is a serious win money sprint car guy. Most tracks hold rubber early anymore. Especially if they run stock cars on the bill with them. This must have been a winged show, correct? I dont watch winged shows. If I want to see a drag race, I will go to an NHRA event.

Huntley runs Bloomington and Gas City alot. He has alot of stamina. Eat your wheaties if your gonna out run him all night.

Ziggy

rabbit
08-08-04, 10:46 PM
Kevin Huntley is a serious win money sprint car guy. Most tracks hold rubber early anymore. Especially if they run stock cars on the bill with them. This must have been a winged show, correct? I dont watch winged shows. If I want to see a drag race, I will go to an NHRA event.

Huntley runs Bloomington and Gas City alot. He has alot of stamina. Eat your wheaties if your gonna out run him all night.

ZiggyIt was non-winged USAC, a spinoff of last year's Mopar Million won by the Wild Child. With all the money they were giving out ($50K to win, $2K to finish dead last) a lot of winged guys were taking the wings off.

Huntley looked fresh as could be when he got out of the car. Ol' Sammy was sucking wind though (35 straight green flag laps will do that to you.)

Brecht is a winged guy, usually. He's leading the Limaland points with the wing, but says he prefers to drive the non-wing.

I agree with you on wing vs. non-wing. Although at Limaland the winged cars put on a pretty good show.

Ziggy
08-08-04, 11:20 PM
Well, you saw something rare. Sammy without a wing. Another Pat Patrick casualty (he was in champcar very briefly, stood on the gas) Swindell is for sure a great sprint car driver. His brother Jeff is no slouch either.

Sammy is king of the Chili Bowl. He has won it a number of times

Railbird
08-09-04, 12:08 AM
Didn't Sammy lose a wheel at Michigan, save the car, and get fired by U.E.?

rabbit
08-09-04, 12:39 AM
Dunno about losing a wheel, but I found his stats in the Champ Car media guide...
In 1985 he started 12th and finished 23rd at Michigan, and started 23rd and finished 25 at Pocono.
In 1986 he started 29th finished 9th at Pocono.
Those were his only three starts.