PDA

View Full Version : Foyt says they'll probably skip earl road race.

cart7
08-08-04, 07:41 PM
On speed news tonight, interviews with earl participants were quite interesting.

Ganassi states they shouldn't do anything to the cars until they find out if anyone will bother to show up for an irl road race. Just stick the current oval configuration on the track and let em go.

Dario claims the current earl spec car will be too slow for a decent race

and ol AJ claims road racin is just as dangerous as ovals, citing his injuries at Riverside and RA. Says they probably won't go to the 2 races next year.

Rogue Leader
08-08-04, 07:43 PM
Dixon even admitted the engines arent up to road racing due to the powerband.

nrc
08-08-04, 07:47 PM
Gee. Sounds almost like this wasn't very well thought out. :gomer:

rabbit
08-08-04, 07:53 PM
Name one thing about the IRL that has been.

Madmaxfan2
08-08-04, 08:21 PM

Like everything else that TG cooks up. He just puts it out there and hopes for the best, without any real research.

gjc2
08-08-04, 09:13 PM
Ganassi states they shouldn't do anything to the cars until they find out if anyone will bother to show up for an irl road race.

Does anyone think IRL road races will be any more successful that there ovals?

George

RTKar
08-08-04, 09:49 PM
Foyt says they'll probably skip earl road race

...They're pretty much skipping the races now....

rabbit
08-08-04, 10:23 PM
...They're pretty much skipping the races now....
/rimshot :D

Ziggy
08-08-04, 10:43 PM
Foyt says they'll probably skip earl road race.

And 25 people actually give a crap

Foyt is a joke. Just like the IRL :gomer:

Rogue Leader
08-08-04, 11:00 PM
the road races should have a counter in the corner of the screen counting up the costs of the damage to the cars as the race progresses. :rofl:

CART T. Katz
08-08-04, 11:16 PM
anyone else notice that they didn't really interview many of the original koolaid drinkers in that spot? seems to me they interviewed all ex-cart guys who actually LIKE to road race. if they wanted to get a diverse opinion they would have interviewed sam the sham, one of the laziers or the driver who turned down driving in atlantics because it was a "step down in their career".

hmm.....

Jag_Warrior
08-09-04, 12:25 AM

Although no one can produce any verification, the Faithful claim this was part of the original VISION (version 8.4.B.227) from Day 1.

I think it's a great plan. Most of the original IRL teams have to buy tickets to attend races now, their most "popular" driver is giving her condo that needed second coat of paint (what with all that spare time, waiting for Ron Dennis to call), one engine supplier may be going bye-bye, televised qualifying no longer exists on the horsebacker network, Indy should be in the 3's next season, the Indy Star dusted the fantasy of 500K at Indy, by my count there are still only 16 races (and 1 TMS is gone)... with everything looking so good, it's time to drive that final nail in CCWS coffin: hey , fellers, let's try sum rad racin'.

They've tried to imitate CART in every other way. I say they'll implode well before the decade is out.

gjc2
08-09-04, 07:31 AM
Although no one can produce any verification, the Faithful claim this was part of the original VISION (version 8.4.B.227) from Day 1.................

I say they'll implode well before the decade is out.

I do remember, before the IRL's first season, TG saying that initially, they may need a road race or two to fill the schedule. After that initial season the series would be all ovals. Road racing was never part of any of the "visions".

You think it will take the rest of the decade for the IRL to implode? Team owners are publicly complaining now. I don't think it will take that long.

George

pchall
08-09-04, 07:31 AM
Although no one can produce any verification, the Faithful claim this was part of the original VISION (version 8.4.B.227) from Day 1...[/I]

Back in 1994/5 when the IRL was putting it's rubber duckies in a row to get ready to run in 1996, scuttlebutt was that they approached Road America and Long Beach and were told to take a hike. They also made a move on all the likely CART oval races and only got the disgruntled track owners Jobe at Phoenix and Bahre in New Hampshire to bite. The first all oval IRL season was actually the re-visioning of the original Vision.

TG and his bootlicker originally believe planned on all the owners of all the CART tracks running to 16th and Georgetown and kneeling on the bricks pleading to be permitted to be part of the series that included the 500. :shakehead

Skater_36
08-09-04, 08:36 AM
Although no one can produce any verification, the Faithful claim this was part of the original VISION (version 8.4.B.227) from Day 1.

I think it's a great plan. Most of the original IRL teams have to buy tickets to attend races now, their most "popular" driver is giving her condo that needed second coat of paint (what with all that spare time, waiting for Ron Dennis to call), one engine supplier may be going bye-bye, televised qualifying no longer exists on the horsebacker network, Indy should be in the 3's next season, the Indy Star dusted the fantasy of 500K at Indy, by my count there are still only 16 races (and 1 TMS is gone)... with everything looking so good, it's time to drive that final nail in CCWS coffin: hey , fellers, let's try sum rad racin'.

They've tried to imitate CART in every other way. I say they'll implode well before the decade is out.

I agree, let Tony George continue with his vision and the IRL will be the next AIS within 5 years. Toyota and Honda will be moving their money and resources to NASCAR in a couple of years, the old teams are angry because they were shoved aside for the ex-CART teams and those same ex-CART teams have no loyalty. Ganassi and a few other owners and drivers are already making noise about the ill conceived road races. Throw in the fact that fan support is dwindling and the outcome is inevitable.

DaveL
08-09-04, 09:01 AM
If Cheep is upset about extra costs for RR's then it can only mean that he got his budget from Toyota already and they aren't picking up the tab. Big show of hands of people who remember Floyd ever giving two sh! ts about the cost of racing.

Me neither.

Foyt won't be there? I guess that's the ultimate in Foytility. I was looking forward to watching IV yutz around 7 seconds off the pace. But at least we'll have the pleasure of watching Carpenter try. If Fast Eddie can't keep up and off the wall on floor it and steer tracks, one can only imagine how uncompetitive he'll be on a road course.

Wheel-Nut
08-09-04, 09:07 AM
. . . and don't forget, Sam gets to go back RR and show he is an all around racer!! :rofl:

DaveL
08-09-04, 09:27 AM
. . . and don't forget, Sam gets to go back RR and show he is an all around racer!! :rofl:

I forgot about The Sham. Ah yes, he can fall back on his days in Atlantics when he got his ass handed to him on road courses. Funny how he's become just another floor it and steer IRL driver without the special engines from Chevy that no one else got.

I feel for the spotters. They'll have to come up with something other than, "still there, still there, still there..." when they spot at the road courses.

Madmaxfan2
08-09-04, 09:57 AM
Back in 1994/5 when the IRL was putting it's rubber duckies in a row to get ready to run in 1996, scuttlebutt was that they approached Road America and Long Beach and were told to take a hike. They also made a move on all the likely CART oval races and only got the disgruntled track owners Jobe at Phoenix and Bahre in New Hampshire to bite. The first all oval IRL season was actually the re-visioning of the original Vision.

TG and his bootlicker originally believe planned on all the owners of all the CART tracks running to 16th and Georgetown and kneeling on the bricks pleading to be permitted to be part of the series that included the 500. :shakehead

Actually TG did get that to happen, but not right away. Seven years and a trip or two to Japan make it happen. He had to follow the money as they say.

Sean O'Gorman
08-09-04, 11:25 AM
With AJ4 possibly out of the road course picture, it looks like it'll come down to Sam and Scott Sharp for DFL Toyota next year at these two races. :D

Michaelhatesfans
08-09-04, 11:50 AM
I feel for the spotters. They'll have to come up with something other than, "still there, still there, still there..." when they spot at the road courses.
To be replaced with, "OH! (concerned pause) Ok, he's off. You ok, Sam?"

Joe in LA
08-09-04, 12:41 PM
What will really happen is that they will run the road races before a crowd of 25 people and then declare that they were right all along, nobody likes road races.

Winston Wolfe
08-09-04, 01:02 PM
What will really happen is that they will run the road races before a crowd of 25 people and then declare that they were right all along, nobody likes road races.

DING-DING-DING.... we have a winner ! :thumbup:

cart7
08-09-04, 01:19 PM
Floyds probably right anyway. Why make expensive changes, bolt on kits, transmission modifications, etc.

Who's going to really care anyway?

cartmanoz
08-10-04, 02:09 PM
Considering Foyt can't even do anything on ovals, he's best staying away from road courses.

Madmaxfan2
08-10-04, 03:48 PM
Given this response, one wonders why TG bothered to add road courses. CG's response is rather curious, given his backround. I wonder if everybody is restless in EARL Land and the revolt is around the corner, since the fans did not follow the "stars and cars" of the old CART. If any amount of YEN money is reduced, TG is toast! :thumbup:

cart7
08-10-04, 03:57 PM
I wonder..

Floyd bitching about costs of road racing. - Toyota Team

Kelley being sold out to Ganassi - Toyota Team

Penske wanting to unify - Toyota Team

Nunn making noise again about just quitting and doing 18 holes everyday - Toyota Team

Makes ya go hmmmm....

Wheel-Nut
08-10-04, 04:32 PM
I wonder..

Nunn making noise again about just quitting and doing 18 holes everyday - Toyota Team

Makes ya go hmmmm....

More hmmmm material . . . .

Toyota is dumping a ton of money in F1. F1 has fans.

Toyota is dumping a ton of money in NASCAR. NASCAR has fans.

Toyota is dumping a ton of money in the earl. The earl has no fans!

Spicoli
08-10-04, 06:01 PM
Rome is burning, yoda must have gotten the message. :gomer:

pineapple
08-10-04, 09:35 PM
Rome is burning, yoda must have gotten the message. :gomer:

Kind of hard to ignore the smoke of all that burning yen in the Pagoda. :)

stroker
08-10-04, 11:23 PM
I wonder..

Makes ya go hmmmm....

I wouldn't be anxious to cough up a bunch of money for a roadracing kit if I had a slug of an engine, either.

JLMannin
08-11-04, 12:05 PM
Maybe now Foyt, Hemmelgarn, and Menard can form their own ovals-only series to provide opportunity for American drivers, drive out evil engine leases, and bring top-notch engine builders back to Indy . . . . . . . . . .

Madmaxfan2
08-12-04, 12:47 PM
And watch TG jump right in a claim that is what he really
wanted to do all long. He will claim he had constraints to make the IRL work and had to adoupt those CART guys.

Purple Panic
08-12-04, 01:42 PM
I wonder how many tickets Marlboro/Penske would have to give away just to make it look like they have a decent turnout for a roadcourse race....

There were hundreds wandering the paddock at Milwaukee, and those were just the ones who got the free Pit & Paddock passes. All could be exemplified by the drunken redneck moron who kept jostling me at the podium and who then tapped me on the headphones (you NEVER tap somebody's headphones) and said to me "I bet you live for this stuff, don't you?" :saywhat: :shakehead

I'd hate to see how many tix Penske would have to pass out just to make it look like they had an average turnout for a track as big as Road America, and how many of the ticket holders would get lost just trying to find Turn Five. The hospital bills alone could be so staggering the IRL'd never race there again because the facility would consider them a liability. And I ain't talkin' 'bout the drivers....