PDA

View Full Version : Rick James dead

Sean O'Gorman
08-06-04, 04:34 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/06/rick.james/index.html

How ever will Ank cope?

FTG
08-06-04, 04:49 PM
Sad, but not surpising, unless of course it turns out he died of natural causes.

The Doctor
08-06-04, 04:53 PM
Nobody is Rick James now, bitch.

indyfan31
08-06-04, 04:55 PM
Sad, but not surpising, unless of course it turns out he died of natural causes.

SURPRISE!!!! (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=495&ncid=762&e=7&u=/ap/20040806/ap_en_mu/obit_james)

JoeBob
08-06-04, 04:55 PM
Superfreaky.

RIP

FTG
08-06-04, 05:11 PM
SURPRISE!!!! (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=495&ncid=762&e=7&u=/ap/20040806/ap_en_mu/obit_james)

Still don't believe it. The hooker could've taken the needle when she left.

Of course, I'll admit I'm wrong if the autopsy confirms natural causes.

FTG
08-06-04, 05:15 PM
And of course, in Rick James case, turning 50 is considered "a natural cause."

JohnHKart
08-06-04, 06:08 PM
Well away from all the drugs and excess, the guy was a funk master genius. I've been singing Super Freak about 7 years, and my band also does Give it To Me Baby. The horn parts alone on Give it to Me just completely kicked my ass when I first learned them two years ago, as did the other parts on the song. A friend of mine is also a keyboard player and plays with Rick's bassist and drummer and those guys are out of work now. :( Thanks for posting this, I more often than not get my news here when I first get up, which being a musician is about 3PM.

John

lone_groover
08-06-04, 06:47 PM
Rick James was a hero and role model of mine - except for the drugs and beating up women stuff - and I will miss him. His death was tragic because of his too-young age. Henri Cartier Bresson also died this week, but he was 95. You can't really mourn too much; just crack a book and celebrate the man's genius.

I regret that I never made it up to Buffalo to get my photo taken under the street sign that reads "RICK JAMES BLVD." I'm not sure, but I heard that the city fathers have had it taken down and re-re-named it.

Did you know that Rick originally sang in a band in the mid-60s called "The Mynah Birds" that also featured Neil Young? This was just before Young joined the original Buffalo Springfield.

The FUNK won't die.

:thumbup:

Dave99
08-06-04, 08:06 PM
That explains the three helicopters I saw hovering over the area near Universal City at lunch time.

RIP you Super Freak!

fourrunner
08-06-04, 10:51 PM
Rick James was a hero and role model of mine - except for the drugs and beating up women stuff - and I will miss him.

Only the Good die young !!

He wanted to die while he was still Pretty !! ;)

RIP Superfreak !!

JT265
08-07-04, 12:45 AM
Did you know that Rick originally sang in a band in the mid-60s called "The Mynah Birds" that also featured Neil Young? This was just before Young joined the original Buffalo Springfield.

The FUNK won't die.

:thumbup:

Yep. Played all the clubs in Toronto back in the day like the ElMo. They were kickass at the time too.

RIP Freakman.

And groover, the city fathers in Buffalo are mostly stillborn. Either that or Rick James Blvd. burned down, and Irv Weinstein forgot to report it. ;)