PDA

View Full Version : News from Denver

Don Quixote
08-06-04, 03:26 PM
Rocky Mountain News article (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/racing/article/0,1299,DRMN_52_3088376,00.html)

Start/finish line moved after the hairpin, in front of grandstands. Not sure how they can get a clean start from there but it will be better for the fans. Turn 1 has been widened to hopefully provide a better passing opportunity.

JoeBob
08-06-04, 03:38 PM
Interesting. I can't think of another place where pitting will happen "midlap." (At Road America, they use the timing line before pit in as "start/finish" during qualifying sessions, but not during actual racing.) I probably would have done what they did at Mid-Ohio. Wave the green flag at the start of the race on the back stretch and make the Pookpin the first turn of the race, and then use the "traditional" start/finish line for restarts and the end of the race.

Here's the track map: http://www.denvergrandprix.com/circuitmap.htm

skaven
08-06-04, 04:22 PM
Cool. Just ordered my tickets through Ticketmaster. Tried to go through the GP, but the first time they took my info and never called me back, the second time I got voicemail. :saywhat: I wonder if the casual fan would put up with such indifference to actually trying to sell tickets.

Anyway, work bought me 2 sets of 3-day tickets for Stand 10 (the mile-wide corner). My client will get both sets on Friday and Saturday (as I've got other plans - or rather my girlfriend made plans for me). I'll join him on race day.

Should be able to see the start finish line ! ! ! Eat your heart out SOG.

Sean O'Gorman
08-06-04, 04:36 PM
Should be able to see the start finish line ! ! ! Eat your heart out SOG.

:saywhat:

rjohnson999
08-06-04, 04:39 PM
No more. All T&S for all sessions is being run from one of the suites at the S/F tower.

Interesting. (At Road America, they use the timing line before pit in as "start/finish" during qualifying sessions, but not during actual racing.) [/url]

Ziggy
08-06-04, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the update Don

Im Dead, Beeatch

Ziggy

cart7
08-06-04, 09:03 PM
Good to see Denver still in the fold (regardless of my feelings about that circuit). It'd be nice to get St. pete back. :thumbup:

Steve99
08-10-04, 08:02 PM
It's going to be strange to have the corners with new numbers. So is it the new Turn 1 that is wider?

It will be interesting to see how the re-designed turn 9 works out vs. the original design.

They still need to get some stands on the outside of the pit straight (between the new 4 and 5 turns).

Lizzerd
08-10-04, 08:11 PM
No more. All T&S for all sessions is being run from one of the suites at the S/F tower.

You're right. RA quit using the timing lights at the exit of the final turn a couple years ago because when they were on a flyer, the drivers would banzai through it for an extra half tenth second and go off. Of course they could go back to that spot now if they wanted to since the drivers would lose fast time for causing a red.

rjohnson999
08-11-04, 12:04 AM
There isn't much that's correct in your post. This is the first year they haven't used the T-14 timing facilities for CART/OWRS. The reason has nothing to do with anything you suppose. It's much more mundane and not in any way related to CART/OWRS. The timing building leaks, needs a new roof and isn't worth the investment.

You're right. RA quit using the timing lights at the exit of the final turn a couple years ago because when they were on a flyer, the drivers would banzai through it for an extra half tenth second and go off. Of course they could go back to that spot now if they wanted to since the drivers would lose fast time for causing a red.

Don Quixote
08-11-04, 10:13 AM
It's going to be strange to have the corners with new numbers. So is it the new Turn 1 that is wider?

It is the new turn one that is wider. I went down there yesterday to look at it. Four feet doesn't sound like much, but to me it seemed alot wider than the past two years. Things were hopping around the Pepsi Center and there was a nice line at the box office. :thumbup:

nrc
08-11-04, 10:39 AM
What is now turn one has always been pretty wide. I remember they ran it pretty much as a single arc kind of like 7&8 in Cleveland.