PDA

View Full Version : Road America's Champ Car future?

KLang
08-04-04, 08:14 PM
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article: Road America rebuffs naysayers (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/race/aug04/248509.asp)

The article is more upbeat then I expected. I was really expecting this weekend to be a wake but perhaps not. I'm doing my part. I guess all we can do is hope for good attendence and maybe a few more hospitality tents then last year.

Phantom
08-04-04, 11:00 PM
Three of us are flying from Houston tomorrow. Plus we'll be joined by a newbie on Friday. We'll be doing our part. Long live R.A and Champ Cars!

Lizzerd
08-05-04, 01:23 AM
I'm doing my part too. Tenth race of the last eleven. Missed 2000 (don't ask why). Have brought newbies, too.

This freaking race must remain on the schedule!!!

chop456
08-05-04, 01:32 AM
I'll be there with about 30 of my favorite idiots.

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-04, 01:46 AM
I went in 2002 thinking it would be my last chance to hear turbocharged Champ Cars (and to visit a friend in Chicago), and I'd almost certainly make the effort to go again next year if I can make the time.

I'd really really really like it to stay on the schedule. :)

Kiwifan
08-05-04, 02:12 AM
I wish I could be there with you guys. Rest assured I'll be thinking of ya! :)

I got a nice letter last year when RA and CART seemed to be drifting apart. I think (from that letter) that they want Champ Cars there but it may be up to us to prove it. Have fun and enjoy yourselves team. Not too much drinkin', ya hear? :p

Rusty.

Lizzerd
08-05-04, 02:20 AM
I'd really really really like it to stay on the schedule. :)

DDDdid I sstuterrr? I said it MUST remain on the schedule. Try to keep up, Sean. :)

Dr. Corkski
08-05-04, 05:08 AM
I went in 2002 thinking it would be my last chance to hear turbocharged Champ CarsGreat minds think alike.

There, I just ruined your reputation here. :D

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-04, 06:33 PM
Great minds think alike.

There, I just ruined your reputation here. :D

Nah, more like you ruined your own. :gomer: :)

oddlycalm
08-05-04, 11:49 PM
The article is more upbeat then I expected.Rational words from both sides is a major relief. For me, RA is the single most imortant event on the calendar. Wish I could be there, it's been a few years now. Please hoop and holler and have a couple brats for me. Hope it's a strong race.

oc

JLMannin
08-06-04, 12:33 PM
I'm unable to go as well. This will mark my secind full season without attending a race. Bummer. :( Maybe next year.

Everyone have an egger for me!

Megger
08-06-04, 05:15 PM
With George Bruggenthies making the descisions I'd say its 50/50. They haven't put a dime into the track and paying what Champcar wants to come to the track and what they make this year will decide. First time missing this race in 8 years and Its killing me. It better be back!!! I better be sitting in turn 5 this time next year.

rjohnson999
08-06-04, 05:57 PM
Haven't put a dime into the track? Maybe the money that's been put into the track isn't visible to you, but I've seen it. The drainage between 11 and 12. Redoing the gravel trap at 12. Twice. The rescue access road at 12. The fiber optic communications system used by the flaggers. The race control remote camera/recording/playback system. Development of the MotoPlex. Development of the off road facility that runs from past station 9 around the outside of the carousel. The family camping area in the carousel adjacent to the MotoPlex (with access to the new showers at the MotoPlex.) The "Bend" for use by motorcycles, car clubs and Skippy Schools. And the not inconsiderable expense of maintaining four miles of asphalt in the middle of the Kettle Moraine with its full, four season weather patterns. Sorry your personal requests weren't honored. :rolleyes:

With George Bruggenthies making the descisions I'd say its 50/50. They haven't put a dime into the track and paying what Champcar wants to come to the track and what they make this year will decide. First time missing this race in 8 years and Its killing me. It better be back!!! I better be sitting in turn 5 this time next year.

Megger
08-06-04, 08:38 PM
. Sorry your personal requests weren't honored. :rolleyes:
Yeah! When they start taking them let me know ;) Until then I guess something is better than nothing!!

RTKar
08-07-04, 12:27 AM
Although Friday crowds are generally slim, I think the "crowd" this afternoon was pathetic. There were probably more Champcar employees and flaggers than there were paying customers. Some of the people I chatted with had the same impression. Hopefully there'll be some positive developments regarding the future but if Saturday's and Sunday's crowd reflect Friday's crowd the future of Champcars at RA will be bleak.

KLang
08-07-04, 07:35 AM
Yup, Friday's crowd was pretty slim, although maybe not much different then the last couple years. I'm more disappointed with the total lack of corporate hospitality tents again. Perhaps some will be set up today, some of the hill going down to 14 is roped off for something. It can't help that there is the golf thing in town this weekend.

nrc
08-07-04, 10:30 AM
I think step one has to be eliminating the doom and gloom hanging over the event. Champcar needs to get venues into at least three year deals to eliminate the ongoing speculation about their future and eliminate the feeling that the event isn't worth devoting time to because it's going away anyway.

Madmaxfan2
08-07-04, 11:34 AM
I hope RA continues with Champ Car. I still want to go there hopefully next year, God willing.

Megger
08-07-04, 02:53 PM
I think step one has to be eliminating the doom and gloom hanging over the event. Champcar needs to get venues into at least three year deals to eliminate the ongoing speculation about their future and eliminate the feeling that the event isn't worth devoting time to because it's going away anyway.

I agree with you!!! All of this uncertainty Sucks!!!My good friends family runs ST. John the Baptist Consesion Stand right by the Pit entrance and Champcar weekend was one of the biggest event for the track. I usally work it but this is the first year I'm not :( Everyone that works it wants the Champcars back with a nice long contract.

Methanolandbrats
08-07-04, 05:38 PM
:cry: :cry: whaaa, whaaaa, whaaaa..........enough with the doom and gloom bull****. Fridays crowd was a little smaller than last year, but the difference is they were upbeat. Last year was like a funeral. It was a good day. Give Champcar some time to get up off the mat. Champcar management know that RA is the heart and soul of Champcar and they can't screw it up or they risk alienating their most hardcore fans. They can skim a little cash from the urban parades and help foot the bill for RA. Dammit people, relax, have a beer and enjoy the race.

Railbird
08-07-04, 11:53 PM
At the fan forum today PG was encouraging but non-commital. The fact of the matter is OWRS is going to have to write some checks to buy time while rebuilding the event.

They need to do it imo, but I'm not writng the checks.

Methanolandbrats
08-08-04, 09:21 PM
At the fan forum today PG was encouraging but non-commital. The fact of the matter is OWRS is going to have to write some checks to buy time while rebuilding the event.

They need to do it imo, but I'm not writng the checks. Yes they do need to do it. It's the heart and soul of Champcar. Todays crowd was very upbeat and pretty big. I find it hard to believer RA can't make money off of a day like today. One thing I noticed in addition to the old-timers like me was a lot of young kids who were obviously at their first Champcar event. Might be the new generation attracted by Spike. Today was a good day. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
08-08-04, 09:31 PM
After being on the edge of my seat during the whole 2 hours today, I'm more convinced than ever that tracks like RA need to be future of the sport! Its about entertainment, and good races tracks like Road America that the cars work well on will bring more fans in the long run than any crap street circuit in Denver or Korea. :rolleyes:

Sean O'Gorman
08-08-04, 09:34 PM
:cry: :cry: whaaa, whaaaa, whaaaa..........enough with the doom and gloom bull****. Fridays crowd was a little smaller than last year, but the difference is they were upbeat. Last year was like a funeral.

Thats great to hear! Mid-Ohio last year was the same way, it was one of the most depressing motorsports events I'd ever been to until the green flag flew. Of course, it sucked once the race ended and you knew that was probably the last time you'd see Champ Cars at that track. Fast forward ten months to Cleveland, and the atmosphere was much more upbeat, so I'm glad to hear that its also the case at RA. Now we just need to work on getting the attendance numbers up at these tracks so the promoters and Champ Car can get into the black. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim
08-08-04, 09:39 PM
Probably one of the funnest races at RA I have ever been to. Saturday sucked because I was deathly hungover but otherwise it was an awesome weekend.

Sean O'Gorman
08-08-04, 10:03 PM
Probably one of the funnest races at RA I have ever been to. Saturday sucked because I was deathly hungover but otherwise it was an awesome weekend.

Oh boy you should have been at the party last night. Nothing like waking up at 3:00am outside your tent on a bunch of potato chips. I decided to come home for the night and drive back tomorrow because of the hangover I had all day. I love RA!

Sounds like you had a bit too much fun. ;) But leaving the track and going home because of a hangover??? I should be allowed to pass my "Wussy" title on to you! JoeBob, what do you think?

Chitowncartfreak
08-08-04, 10:08 PM
Today was my 5th visit to Road America - and was the best by far! How anyone can prefer watching flat-out-all-the-time oval racing at a cookie-cutter track is beyond me. I really hope RA remains on the schedule for a long time. I've already lost Indianapolis in my lifetime - I don't want to lose a second legendary venue.

RTKar
08-08-04, 10:20 PM
Something interesting happened to me at RA, myself and someone I was with were interviewed by a production company, on camera while being asked questions about the series.It seemed to take the better part of half an hour The idea we were told, was to interview fans, produce a film and show it to the powers that be. The thought is, to get in put from fans on the direction of "our" sport, what we see as important.
It's rather intimidating to be in front of a camera answering questions off the top of your head. Initially I had thought it was going to be a fill out a questioner thing, when they unwrapped the microphone and camera......Yikes!
Looking back, I wish I could have gathered my thoughts a bit better but I felt I did ok. One of my key points was stressing the need for diversity in courses, especially natural terrain. I mentioned the loss of MO and the possible loss of RA.I think I stated that tracks like RA define the series. They also asked about the earl, the drivers and cars. I said the drivers have talent but the cars are horrendous. They don't challenge a drivers skill. I mentioned OC and how most of the folks at RA are probably hard core and how we need to try to get a new generation of fans involved.... I suggested they run up to the campground in T-2 to get an ear full....hopefully they did. All in all it was an interesting experience, I wish I could remember the name of the company doing this. So prepare yourself, be ready for them at any races you attend, think of all the stuff you'd like to say. After it was over , as the day went on, I was kicking myself for not saying certain things that I would think of later. Hopefully it won't come back to haunt me.

Chitowncartfreak
08-08-04, 10:31 PM
Something interesting happened to me at RA, myself and someone I was with were interviewed by a production company, on camera while being asked questions about the series.It seemed to take the better part of half an hour The idea we were told, was to interview fans, produce a film and show it to the powers that be. The thought is, to get in put from fans on the direction of "our" sport, what we see as important.
It's rather intimidating to be in front of a camera answering questions off the top of your head. Initially I had thought it was going to be a fill out a questioner thing, when they unwrapped the microphone and camera......Yikes!
Looking back, I wish I could have gathered my thoughts a bit better but I felt I did ok. One of my key points was stressing the need for diversity in courses, especially natural terrain. I mentioned the loss of MO and the possible loss of RA.I think I stated that tracks like RA define the series. They also asked about the earl, the drivers and cars. I said the drivers have talent but the cars are horrendous. They don't challenge a drivers skill. I mentioned OC and how most of the folks at RA are probably hard core and how we need to try to get a new generation of fans involved.... I suggested they run up to the campground in T-2 to get an ear full....hopefully they did. All in all it was an interesting experience, I wish I could remember the name of the company doing this. So prepare yourself, be ready for them at any races you attend, think of all the stuff you'd like to say. After it was over , as the day went on, I was kicking myself for not saying certain things that I would think of later. Hopefully it won't come back to haunt me.

Cool. I'm sure you did fine - assuming you didn't say something crazy like "Tony George is the savior of open-wheel racing."

nrc
08-08-04, 10:42 PM

Any idea who was bankrolling this? I'd hate to find out that it was research for Tony George or someone else to figure out what they need to do to win over the road racing fans.

Wolverine
08-10-04, 08:54 AM
Any idea who was bankrolling this? I'd hate to find out that it was research for Tony George or someone else to figure out what they need to do to win over the road racing fans.

Why would research by anyone to figure out what they need to do to win over road racing fans be a bad thing? Isn't that the complaint heard so often - that no one seems to care what racing fans - road racing or otherwise - want?

Andrew Longman
08-10-04, 10:03 AM
Something interesting happened to me at RA, myself and someone I was with were interviewed by a production company, on camera while being asked questions about the series.

An entire family camped next to me in the carousal was interviewed by the same crew. They were nervous but did well. Their basic theme was FTG and keep RA.

nrc
08-10-04, 10:33 AM
Why would research by anyone to figure out what they need to do to win over road racing fans be a bad thing? Isn't that the complaint heard so often - that no one seems to care what racing fans - road racing or otherwise - want?

If they were legitimately trying to figure out what fans want with the intent of giving it to them, that's great. If it's the IRL just looking for ways to sell what they're shovelling, that's not.

Andrew Longman
08-10-04, 12:19 PM

It was a three person crew; a woman who seemed to have a producer role, a guy who did the interviews, and a camera man. All twenty-sumpin's.

They read the questions from a prepared binder that had Champcar logo stuff in the cover insert.

My guess is it was market research they are putting together to inform their business plan and help sell to sponsors. Showing and hearing what the typical family (mom, dad and kids), and regular fan has to say goes a long way towards convincing sponsors and others to invest in the series.

One of the things that makes Nascar sponsorship so valuable is the loyalty of their fans to the sport and sponsors. Its almost become a lifestyle.

All of us here know that a weekend at RA (or any CCWS event) is a lifestyle statement sponsors should better know and understand (though waking up face down in a pile of potato chips is optional :D ).

Andrew Longman
08-10-04, 12:58 PM
Back on topic...

I talked to many fans during the weekend and everyone I talked to had been coming for years (two brothers camped next to me have been making the pilgrimage from Fargo for 20 straight years) and all but one was almost fanatically anti-IRL.

But all also expressed remorse for how the event has dwindled. No one was missing Andretti, Unser, et al. They missed how there wasn't the sponsor-backed activities like the old simulator. They missed that Miller and Budwieser dont put up "Welcome Race Fan" signs up for 100 miles around. They miss the crowds and the buzz it creates. They talked about getting in line at 3 am to get the spot on the track they wanted. They talked about renewing reservation and tickets at the first available hour.

Some of that surely sounds like an inconvenience but it also creates the frenzy and commitment that keeps people coming back. No one wants to take a chance at missing out.

Once you lose that, the attraction falls back to the inherent merits of the event that we all know and love. That's what RA and CCWS have to build on now. Make a deal that makes sense given current realities (economic and otherwise). Moreover, correctly set expectations for success and begin to create a new and positive image for the event that is tied to the past but does not/tries not to draw comparisons.

pchall
08-10-04, 01:08 PM
.. Saturday sucked because I was deathly hungover but otherwise it was an awesome weekend.

Did Momnut hold your head over the toilet while you barfed? ;)

Tim
08-10-04, 01:27 PM
No no none of that. It turns out it wasn't a hangover I was actually sick. By the time I went to be saturday night I had a fever. Woke up on Sunday morning feeling a little better. As soon as the cars hit the track for warm up though everything was cured.

JoeBob
08-10-04, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you had a bit too much fun. ;) But leaving the track and going home because of a hangover??? I should be allowed to pass my "Wussy" title on to you! JoeBob, what do you think?

Think about nicknames the way the mafia does, "Fat Tony" would continue to be called "Fat Tony" even if went on a diet. Similarly, if another even heavier guy named Tony came along, he might be called "Big Tony," or "Huge Tony" but "Fat Tony" would stay with "Fat Tony."

Nice try, Wussy - maybe next time.

Sean O'Gorman
08-10-04, 02:06 PM
Oh well, it was worth a try I guess. ;)