PDA

View Full Version : IRL Road Race Support Races?

Andrew Longman
08-03-04, 11:09 AM
What do you suppose they will run as support races for the Glen and Sonoma?

Is IPS ready to go road racing too? Can teams afford retrofits? is a retrofit even possible?

They could slot in Star Mazda or Formula Renault, but they need to be careful not to get anything with lap times too close to the IRL cars.

Or Grand Am (which has been running with NASCAR Cup at the Glen the last few years)?

Do you suppose ISC would rather not go too far with this open wheel/road racing thing and stick a Busch North/West series there?

I don't know who will go to these events, so I can't figure what else they would want to see.

KLang
08-03-04, 11:22 AM
http://www.pumpkinshow.com/2003BigWheel.jpg

;)

Skater_36
08-03-04, 11:32 AM
I don't know who will go to these events, so I can't figure what else they would want to see.

Spectators may be scarce (not unusual for an IRL race) but some teams may be absent as well. AJ Foyt is already huffing and puffing about skipping road races and seems to be angry about the latest direction TG has taken the league. The smaller teams that used to be big shots before the Toyota and Honda factory teams came over from CART, may have trouble stretching their already over extended budgets to purchase an update kit for a car that is supposed to be replaced the following year. A lot of changes need to be made to accomodate one or two races in front of small crowds. I can't see how the risk and expense will be worth it for smaller teams.

Andrew Longman
08-03-04, 11:34 AM

;)

I can see where this is going :)

Andrew Longman
08-03-04, 11:41 AM
I can't see how the risk and expense will be worth it for smaller teams.

Me either, and I suspect it will be even worse for the IPS teams.

And if crowds are a worry, as they might be, I would think it is all the more important to put together an attractive line up.

A few years ago, ISC lined CART up with Trucks at MIS. I thought that was nuts and I saw for myself how different the crowds were for Sat and Sun (I mean demographically: number of teeth, size of belly, size of coolers, redness of neck, etc.).

They now often pair them IRL with Trucks but the fans I think are more likely the same.

Trucks, Busch, and Nascar modifieds all use to race at the Glen, but no more. Would they bring them back for the IRL to boost the gate, or go more traditional but lesser road racing series?

cart7
08-03-04, 11:50 AM
Grand Am hookup? :laugh: There's a series that's in serious need of help. :laugh:

Steve99
08-03-04, 11:51 AM

;)

No way. Those things have to much torque and would get up the hills and out of the corners faster than the earl sleds. They need some thing that won't show up crapwagons. Soapbox derby maybe?

Joe in LA
08-03-04, 12:32 PM
AJ Foyt is already huffing and puffing about skipping road races and seems to be angry about the latest direction TG has taken the league.

Has IV ever run a road course? The Futility index should hit an all time high if his first experience is in an IRL car with a bunch of ex-road racers on the other teams.

SurfaceUnits
08-03-04, 01:04 PM
AJ: OK son, you've turned right before

IV: But Granpa, there's always a wall there when I turn right.

:rofl:

The Foyt Futility Index will need a new scale for next season.

DaveL
08-03-04, 02:21 PM

For those keeping tabs, Sarah Fisher is the one in the middle.

Easy
08-03-04, 03:01 PM
What do you suppose they will run as support races for the Glen and Sonoma?

Is IPS ready to go road racing too? Can teams afford retrofits? is a retrofit even possible?

The IPS car isn't that far off from the Dallara Nissan World Series car, shouldn't be hard to set for road racing. And yes, the IPS if it still exists will road race with the IRl.

They could slot in Star Mazda or Formula Renault, but they need to be careful not to get anything with lap times too close to the IRL cars.

STAR Mazda will stick with ALMS. Renault, distinct possibility.

Or Grand Am (which has been running with NASCAR Cup at the Glen the last few years)?

Do you suppose ISC would rather not go too far with this open wheel/road racing thing and stick a Busch North/West series there?

If ISC and IRl are still in love next year I'd guess Busch North at Watkins Glen and Grand Am at Sears.

These are just my educated guesses... please, no wagering.

JoeBob
08-03-04, 03:03 PM
They now often pair them IRL with Trucks but the fans I think are more likely the same.

ISC has even given up on that. Starting next season, the trucks are being moved from the IRL weekend to the Nextel Cup weekend at both Fontana and Michigan.

rabbit
08-03-04, 03:24 PM
For those keeping tabs, Sarah Fisher is the one in the middle.
Impossible. The one in the middle has the first-place trophy.

Sean O'Gorman
08-03-04, 03:31 PM
Impossible. The one in the middle has the first-place trophy.

Well when you are racing against Ed Carpenter and Jaques Lazier, its not that hard.

rabbit
08-03-04, 03:36 PM
Well when you are racing against Ed Carpenter and Jaques Lazier, its not that hard.
Point taken.

DaveL
08-03-04, 04:54 PM

My sources were at that race. Both Jacques and Ed had trouble with their feet constantly slipping off the pedals making them easy pickins for Sarah who wasn't peddling nearly fast enough for that to be a problem.

But she still complained about the Big Wheel being too loose.

rabbit
08-03-04, 05:07 PM
My sources were at that race. Both Jacques and Ed had trouble with their feet constantly slipping off the pedals making them easy pickins for Sarah who wasn't peddling nearly fast enough for that to be a problem.

But she still complained about the Big Wheel being too loose.Even with traction control?!
:eek:

DaveL
08-03-04, 05:10 PM
Even with traction control?!

Yup.

Skater_36
08-03-04, 06:36 PM
Me either, and I suspect it will be even worse for the IPS teams.

And if crowds are a worry, as they might be, I would think it is all the more important to put together an attractive line up.

You're right, the IPS teams are running on even smaller budgets. I'm wondering how much a kit to go road racing will cost an IRL team just so Tony can take his "vision" road racing?

If crowds are a worry? :) All of the space around Watkins Glen (and road courses in general) will spread the already pitiful crowds of free ticket holders out even more.

A few years ago, ISC lined CART up with Trucks at MIS. I thought that was nuts and I saw for myself how different the crowds were for Sat and Sun (I mean demographically: number of teeth, size of belly, size of coolers, redness of neck, etc.).

I know what you mean about the difference in fans/crowds and it's scary sometimes. The upper crust IRL fans usually have a few more teeth and all four hubcaps on their car/truck match.

Madmaxfan2
08-04-04, 11:39 AM
USAC Silver crown cars, with Midgets thrown in for good measure. Gomer Heaven! :gomer: