PDA

View Full Version : Portland Update

SurfaceUnits
08-02-04, 08:15 PM
From CCF:

This just in an email from Jimmy Baby:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me about racing in Portland. The involvement of our residents is imperative to moving the city forward. I am committed to having a quality racing event in Portland and have been working toward that goal.

In tomorrow's paper there is a story indicating that the IRL is not likely coming to Portland. Some have viewed IRL with skepticism and, while my discussions with the IRL and Peter Jacobsen Productions (PJP) have been widely reported in the media, my continued conversations with Champ Car have not.

I spoke with Dick Eidswick, President of Champ Car, and again expressed my interest in having Champ Car return to Portland. They want to come back and we are scheduled to meet later this month.

Because we had two racing groups expressing interest in coming to PIR, it remains my responsibility to do what is right for Portland taxpayers and race fans. There are three things that I want from this deal:

A high-quality racing event at PIR, such as those I have attended for the past seven years;
Increased revenues to PIR that would allow us to make needed track improvements such as re-paving the track and new stands; and
Increased revenue and visitors to Portland.
I remain hopeful that we can achieve all three. Again, thank you for taking the time to write. I will keep you informed as to our progress.

With warm regards,

Jim Francesconi, City Commissioner"

CART T. Katz
08-02-04, 08:32 PM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

Railbird
08-02-04, 08:50 PM
Screw the loyalty issues

The bottom line is if the series needs the exposure in that market they need to race there.

If the series needs another natural terrain rc they need to race there.

indyfan31
08-03-04, 12:46 AM
Just got the same letter. This must be the 'hat in hand' part of the story.

I hope Champ Car does go back to Portland, and I hope Francesconi learns a lesson about what happens when you try to screw a business partner .... but I doubt it.

pkvracing12
08-03-04, 12:51 AM
well irl will run at watkins glen and infineon race way no portland so i think champcar will be back there!

indyfan31
08-03-04, 01:34 AM
I couldn't resist, I had to hit the "Reply" button:

Mr Francesconi

I appreciate your attempt to "keep me informed", and I'm sorry you had to find out what millions of Champ Car fans across the country have known for years: that Tony George and the IRL cannot be trusted; not to mention the fact that those same fans (as well as George & PJP) knew that the IRL would not be ready for a race at PIR next year.

By now I'm sure the old saying "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" has been heard bouncing off the walls of your office. It's truly unfortunate that greed and foolishness has led you and the city of Portland to "bargain" yourselves out of a race.

I share your desire to see Champ Car return to Portland. I would also like to believe that you've learned a lesson about loyalty to your business partners.

SurfaceUnits
08-03-04, 01:59 AM
cadaver's report from inside the anal cavity of ungar

IRL road shows start next season
All-oval series to race at Sonoma, Watkins Glen
http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/167252-7322-094.html

they still think The Champ Car World Series won't make it to Long Beach.

Lizzerd
08-03-04, 02:31 AM
cadaver's report from inside the anal cavity of ungar

IRL road shows start next season
All-oval series to race at Sonoma, Watkins Glen
http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/167252-7322-094.html

they still think The Champ Car World Series won't make it to Long Beach.

The IRL will utilize the long course at Watkins Glen, a 3.4-mile path used by Formula One from 1961-80.

Okay,.. they are gonna use the boot. The torque is just gonna yank those 'wagons outta the corners! Can't wait to see that!

Helio Castroneves is excited about the addition of road courses. He is one of many IRL drivers with road racing backgrounds.

One of many? Please tell me how many aren't. Oh yeah... Foytility and Carpenter. Anybody else?

Also absent from the schedule is a race at Portland (Ore.) International Raceway. City officials had hoped to secure a late-July weekend -- perhaps the one used the past two years by Michigan International Speedway -- but Ungar said the IRL has an obligation to current event promoters.

So, it looks like that your "offer" to PIR this year was indeed yet another effort to kill Champ Car? Bastard....

The 89th Indianapolis 500 will be May 29. Ungar said the rest of the May schedule at Indianapolis Motor Speedway has not been set. Officials have talked about reducing the number of days the track is open, but part of that was driven by the IRL's desire to stage an additional race prior to the 500.

Reducing the number of days the track is open. Hmmm...Didn't CART ask for that in the early '90's? 40% of a teams budget spent for one race didn't seem to make sense back then, but it suddenly, well after being revised a few times, does now?

Yeah, I'm an Idiot.

nrc
08-03-04, 07:40 AM
You left out the best part:

"We tried to squeeze those events in, and it just couldn't happen," Ungar said of the fall race at Texas and a new race in Portland. "We remain enthusiastic about Portland. We hope to look at it for 2006 and beyond."

"mmyeah, Jim. We're sorry about that whole 'annual race' thing, but we're gonna hafta get back to you on that next year, mmmka? Still reeeal excited about Portland. Bubye"

RaceChic
08-03-04, 09:37 AM
Portland won't get IRL race.
If open wheel racing returns in 2005, it will have to be with Champ Car, and that's not a sure thing
(http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1091534349270940.xml)

jonovision_man
08-03-04, 09:47 AM
If open wheel racing returns in 2005, it will have to be with Champ Car, and that's not a sure thing
(http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1091534349270940.xml)

Good article - lots of quotes with insight into what promoters/track owners/etc may be thinking when dealing with Champcar.

Francesconi said the future of the Champ Car series also is an issue.

"The part that concerns me is the question, are they going to be around for three years?" he said. "The viability of the organization is a legitimate concern. There has to be performance measurements in the contract at some point. So if they are unable to perform, we're able to do something else."

It's a legit concern, if you consider that they were on pins and needles during the bankrupcy hearings to find out if they'd have a race this year.

On the positive side:
"Listen, I knew there were loyal followers of Champ Car and I knew it was going to provoke some controversy," he said. "I felt a special weight should be given to Champ Car, not only for its 21-year history here but its willingness to enter into a long-term deal.

That Champ Car history just won't go away. :) It's great to hear that it is a factor, and that even a guy whose considered the IRL gives that history weight in the decision. Would it have made the difference? Maybe not, but at least it sounds like it would have been a tie-breaker.

jono

KLang
08-03-04, 10:06 AM

"I've kept in contact with Champ Car," said Francesconi, who spoke with Champ Car president Dick Eidswick on Monday and said the conversation "went better than I would have expected."

I thought the story was that OWRS wasn't returning his phone calls. :confused: :rolleyes:

When told that IRL would not race at Portland in 2005, Gentilozzi said, "Oh darn. Who would have thought that? Honestly, I'm disappointed for the race fans of Portland. But they probably would have been disappointed with the IRL show anyway."

:laugh:

Steve99
08-03-04, 11:45 AM
But they don't seem to learn:

"There are people who are going to say the IRL was using Portland, but if the opportunity arose, we would work with them again," he [Blackmar] said.

The got screwed the league, but they would gladly go through it again? Wonder how much money he got paid for this charade.

mueber
08-03-04, 01:01 PM
If the City and OWRS can sit down and put together a deal that works for both, that is what they should do. If they can't, they can't. Sadly, it has to be a business decision, but everybody ought to be respectful. Things change over time, and there is no good reason to alienate anyone. From the article it sounds like everyone understands that.

nrc
08-03-04, 01:18 PM
When told that IRL would not race at Portland in 2005, Gentilozzi said, "Oh darn. Who would have thought that? Honestly, I'm disappointed for the race fans of Portland. But they probably would have been disappointed with the IRL show anyway."

Keyboard and monitor cleanup on aisle 2. :rofl:

oddlycalm
08-03-04, 05:31 PM
The good news is that the EARL's bluff has been called, and they were holding a pair of deuces as we all knew. :D CCWS did the exact right thing by making the EARL put up or withdraw, and withdraw they did. The EARL is now out of the discussion. :thumbup:

That said, humpty dumpty may not be so easy to put back together again. Now, in addition to all the practical issues which remain unresolved, emotional issues have been added. In the end, the city is going to be scrambling to put things back together, and CCWS has zero to gain by turning their back unless they can fill the date with a better event.

There is a lot more that could be said about the various practical challenges facing the Portland event and CCWS in general, however any hard core fan has already heard it all. The good news is that the Oregonian's poll show 65% very disappointed at the prospect of no race. That plus the attendance of the race in June showed the fans are ready to do their end. :thumbup:

oc

DaveL
08-03-04, 05:46 PM
Reducing the number of days the track is open. Hmmm...Didn't CART ask for that in the early '90's?

Actually not. CART never asked IMS to reduce anything, except maybe the cost of catering but that's a topic for another thread. A couple of owners, Rahal and Bettenhausen in particular, spoke for themselves only to the press and mused that they really didn't need 4 weeks for 1 race and spending the whole month cost them chances to hold an additional race. And yes, they said Indy gobbled up 1/3rd of their annual budget. They weren't speaking for CART as an organization, and CART never brought the topic up.

The "CART wanted to reduce the month of May" line is a Big Lie and saying it enough times still won't make it true. I'm not accusing you, Lizzerd so don't take it that way. I'm just sick and tired of hearing it.

This is the same CART that postponed Milwaukee to accomidate the Speedway in 1986 when Sunday and Monday got rained out, and made their highly qualified drivers take IMS's silly Rookie Tests to prove they could handle Indy.

Oh yeah, really uncooperative on the part of CART.

carpfan
08-03-04, 06:02 PM
PS - Regardless of where you live, please vote in the poll at this link as long as it remains there. It's under the No IRL For Porland headline and the link says Poll: Are you disappointed? (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/)

This kind of looks like a loaded question, with no way to win. I can see the spin now..."70% of those polled are dissapointed that the city isnt getting the IRL..." :rolleyes:

Too bad they had to show a picture of those ugly things on the website as well, wasnt ready for that, the actual paper has a beautiful pic of Bordais' car taking up half the sports page...

Lizzerd
08-03-04, 07:49 PM
Actually not. CART never asked IMS to reduce anything, except maybe the cost of catering but that's a topic for another thread. A couple of owners, Rahal and Bettenhausen in particular, spoke for themselves only to the press and mused that they really didn't need 4 weeks for 1 race and spending the whole month cost them chances to hold an additional race. And yes, they said Indy gobbled up 1/3rd of their annual budget. They weren't speaking for CART as an organization, and CART never brought the topic up.

The "CART wanted to reduce the month of May" line is a Big Lie and saying it enough times still won't make it true. I'm not accusing you, Lizzerd so don't take it that way. I'm just sick and tired of hearing it.

This is the same CART that postponed Milwaukee to accomidate the Speedway in 1986 when Sunday and Monday got rained out, and made their highly qualified drivers take IMS's silly Rookie Tests to prove they could handle Indy.

Oh yeah, really uncooperative on the part of CART.

Thanks, Dave. I guess I was under the assumption that they actually did ask IMS for a shorter month, but I do know of the complaining. I stand corrected, and shall not repeat the Big Lie again. :D

oddlycalm
08-03-04, 08:11 PM
This kind of looks like a loaded question, with no way to win. I can see the spin now..."70% of those polled are dissapointed that the city isnt getting the IRL..." :rolleyes:

Agreed, hard to imagine more stupid wording, but from a local political standpoint the response we need is that a majority of people find the prospect of no race very disappointing.

oc

JLMannin
08-04-04, 12:18 PM
I say let Portland twist in the wind. It was their idea to get OWRS and the IRL in a bidding war for the race. OWRS said "no thanks", and rightly so, in my opinion. If Champcar goes back to PIR, it sets a very bad precedent that any track/promoter can play the IRL card, then come back to Champcar if/when they find out thet the IRL was just pulling their chain in theor continuing campaign to destrow Champcar.

Welcome to the court of consequences.

RichK
08-04-04, 01:00 PM
I say let Portland twist in the wind. It was their idea to get OWRS and the IRL in a bidding war for the race. OWRS said "no thanks", and rightly so, in my opinion. If Champcar goes back to PIR, it sets a very bad precedent that any track/promoter can play the IRL card, then come back to Champcar if/when they find out thet the IRL was just pulling their chain in theor continuing campaign to destrow Champcar.

Welcome to the court of consequences.

Great post, I totally agree. I'd also like to watch the local politicians twist when they are asked why Portland went from one successful open wheel race to zero.

Whether or not Portland wanted to get the best deal for their track is irrelevant, the real point is how they treated a company with so much history with their city.

oddlycalm
08-04-04, 03:36 PM
the real point is how they treated a company with so much history with their city.The real question Rich is why they are doing it? The city's position is that CCWS is not the same company as CART was, and their take is that CART failed and that death spiral brought a lot of the negative press that effected race attendence. A plausible arguement, but weak, so why bother to make it?

CCWS, not the city, put up their own money to run at Portland this year then. After demonstrating their competence with a successful race, CCWS showed good faith by coming to the city with a 3yr commitment. All the city would have to do is add a performance clause and they were good to go. So why didn't they? Instead, they turned around and asked for bids. Looks "fair" to an uninformed public, but the intent was clearly hostile to CCWS. So why do it?

The city is right to proceed with caution, however the real caution should be with regard to the EARL, which has never once held a single road course event, and does not currently have cars capable of doing so. That little piece of information is conveniently glossed over as if by some magic snap of the fingers this could be accomplished, even if all the teams could afford it. This is a real issue, so why is the city simply ignoring it?

The last paragraph (http://www.oregonlive.com/motorsports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1091620978167640.xml) of today's article is the one that really tells the tale. Former US Bank CEO Bob Ames is a Penske friend and he and former event chairman (and, ahem, IMS consultant) Bill Hildick are still conducting a whispering campaign behind the scenes, and occasionally speaking publically to cast doubt on CCWS. These guys are too important (campaign funding) for any local politician to ignore, and I wouldn't even put it past TG to funnel some campaign contributions into the mayoral race just to keep the water chilly for Champ Car long term. Francesconi is favored to become mayor of Portland, TG's clearly got him handled as we see from the moves he is making, and that gives the EARL a long term chokehold on this race. It ain't over is an understatement. Look for the city to try to toss CCWS the bone of a one year contract next.

Those that are saying "walk away" or "big deal" are missing the point. There is a war going on, this is one of the major battles, and it's been going on hammer and tong for three years now. Get rid of Portland and that leaves Laguna and Road America, both of which have their issues. Champ Cars really only show their stuff on tracks where they can stretch their long legs. How many of us, truthfully, will watch CCWS if it's a series of 18 street races with an oval or two thrown in?

Taken on it's own, competing for the race in Portland makes no sense because, as it stands today, it is effectively competing for an opportunity to lose $2 million. Unless a sponsor suddenly materializes of course. It's real clear that in the big picture this is a hugely important battle for CCWS and the EARL, just as Road America, Laguna and Milwaukee will be. TG aims to shoulder Champ Cars into a street course only mode, and he's very nearly succeeded.

oc

FTG
08-04-04, 03:48 PM
It's a minor skirmish. Win the major battles and win the war.

RichK
08-04-04, 04:02 PM
Once again, great stuff oddlycalm!

Former US Bank CEO Bob Ames is a Penske friend and he and former event chairman (and, ahem, IMS consultant) Bill Hildick are still conducting a whispering campaign behind the scenes, and occasionally speaking publically to cast doubt on CCWS. These guys are too important (campaign funding) for any local politician to ignore, and I wouldn't even put it past TG to funnel some campaign contributions into the mayoral race just to keep the water chilly for Champ Car long term.
oc

This is off topic, but that stupid phrase about Penske "always having a seat when the music stops" is so true. He's always behind the scenes scheming. Remember when the Kelley team (sponsored by Delphi) had a "soft rev limiter" at Indy a few years ago? The only other team that was able to procure the same rev limiter was Penske. I went to delphiauto.com and guess who was sitting on the Board of Directors of Delphi?

oddlycalm
08-04-04, 05:56 PM
I went to delphiauto.com and guess who was sitting on the Board of Directors of Delphi?

Exactly, Roger is in deep behind the scenes everywhere you look. There are not many important people in US business that he doesn't know personally from serving on BOD's or business forums.

I'm too lazy to get on google and find out how Ames and Penske are connected, it's enough to know they are. It may even be through the races over the years. Ames was a neighbor of mine until recently, and I still see him on occasion coming down the hill in his Lotus Super Seven. His interest in cars and racing goes way back, and I'm sure he thinks he has the inside scoop and is doing the right thing. However, he's wrong on this one.

oc

oddlycalm
08-04-04, 06:02 PM
It's a minor skirmish. Win the major battles and win the war.And as you see it the major battle are....?

In the US there are just 2 ovals that remain available to CCWS and three natural terrain road courses. What makes keeping them a minor skirmish in your view?

oc

nrc
08-04-04, 07:26 PM
Champ Car might want Portland to sign off on a two- or three-year contract so it doesn't have to worry about the IRL swooping in again. Francesconi has said he wants to keep his options open for 2006 and beyond.

Then Champcar should tell Francesconi to "Go fish." Why should Champcar put effort into trying to rebuild this event if Francesconi and Co. are going to be free to screw them over again next year?

Champcar should go in demanding three years minimum, with no open wheel competition and exclusive negotiation rights for 90 days after that third year. The only compromise might be performance clauses that would allow either side to void the contract in it's third year if it's not met.

Champcar needs to rebuild their schedule around events that want to be a partner with Champcar. Anyone who wants to be play both sides should just **** off now.

FTG
08-04-04, 08:35 PM
And as you see it the major battle are....?
oc

Attracting sponsors, maybe engine manufacturers and turning a profit.

dando
08-04-04, 09:11 PM
Attracting sponsors, maybe engine manufacturers and turning a profit.
Those are the objectives of the business plan, not the 'major battles'. If CCWS loses ground by ceding tracks like PIR, they are effectively losing the war. CCWS needs to maintain a foothold in road courses to complement the street circuits and ovals (aka: the diversity).

-Kevin

FTG
08-04-04, 09:22 PM
Survival is victory. Just ask the Viet Cong.

RTKar
08-04-04, 09:27 PM
And as you see it the major battle are....?

In the US there are just 2 ovals that remain available to CCWS and three natural terrain road courses. What makes keeping them a minor skirmish in your view?

oc

Maintaining my interest.

dando
08-04-04, 09:45 PM
Survival is victory. Just ask the Viet Cong.

I guess you'd better go put on your fatigues then. (visions of Col. Flagg on M*A*S*H)

<sigh>

Let's just frickin' race.... :shakehead

-Kevin

dvd
08-05-04, 12:05 AM

"They tried to get the Michigan promoter to move his (July 31) date, and that wasn't possible," Blackmar said. "It just wouldn't work out. Three weeks ago, a suggestion was made about Aug. 28, but that conflicts with the Jeld-Wen Tradition. We couldn't do the race the same weekend as the golf tournament."

Ah hah hah hah haa.. :laugh: one must wonder whether the IRLosers simply rode into PDX on the wrong horse!

They aimed for July 31st but ISC shot them down. So the alternate date offered overlapped with a golf tournament promoted by none other than Peter Jacobsen Productions! Of course they wouldn't want a race on that date... it may take money away from their own event! I bet the likely-mayor-elect Francesconi was never even presented with that date!

Portland could have handled both events, the venues are on the opposite ends of town. And while the race is loosely tied to the Rose Festival, I doubt they would have objected to the August date.

Wonder what would have happened if they had picked a promoter without a bias against the date they had in mind. :shakehead Perhaps we should thank PJP for tanking the deal.

Jdcooperclan
08-05-04, 07:12 AM
The CCWS management is a pretty bright bunch. I'll bet they can make lemonade out of these Portland Lemons. D'you think the sanctioning fee wil be the same next year ?(not likely). Portland's not THAT big of a market (though not insignificant). Think Laguna to the South and Vancouver to the North. I believe there is another pure road-course venue in a larger demographic locale which would LOVE to have that slot (read: Mid-Ohio)

The price of poker just went up.......

oddlycalm
08-05-04, 03:10 PM
Once again, the only media person in Portland that seems to grasp the situation is Steve Duin, and his op/ed today pretty well got it all said. Duin has a high profile, so there will be no escape for those responsible.
Still racing in the wrong direction (http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/109170693147151.xml?oregonian?ylccsd)

oc

Don Quixote
08-05-04, 05:24 PM
Still racing in the wrong direction (http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/109170693147151.xml?oregonian?ylccsd)

oc

Dead on.

indyfan31
08-06-04, 02:39 AM
Dead on.

Absolutely, common sense without having to spin anything.