PDA

View Full Version : Tire Advice for the Nissan

B3RACER1a
08-01-04, 06:36 PM
Well, its time for tires on my 94 Altima. The Dunlop Sport A2's are worn out, and were never really any good. They began cupping and very noisy at just 10,000 miles. Had the car checked out, everything was in alignment and fine. Lot of people are complaining about the A2's doing the same thing.
Anyways, I was looking at Michelin Hydroedge's, but they dont come in an H rated version. So that brings me to Michelin XGT-H4's.

Anyone know of any other tire. I'm looking for something somewhat performance oriented that's still quiet. You need a mouthpiece and earplugs with A2's...lol.

Thanks!

BTW, the size is 205/60/15

dando
08-01-04, 07:18 PM
I just put a set of Kuhmo ECSTA tires on my '98 E36. I read through a bunch of reviews on tirerack.com and discounttire.com, and folks rated them higher than most of the premium price brands (Pirelli, Michelin, etc.) @ 2/3s of the co$t. I've had them on for ~ a month (in between riding the bike during that time), and they seem to perform well in wet and dry, and are reasonably quiet (not much highway driving yet, tho). However, I haven't done and four-wheel drifting with them yet. ;)

-Kevin

nissan gtp
08-01-04, 09:19 PM
I put Ecsta ASX's on my WRX. Like 'em so far... not loud at all, really good in the wet, and a good price.

By the way, Dunlops suck.

manic mechanic
08-01-04, 09:41 PM
My wife's '94 Altima had Dunlop D60A2s on it when we bought it, and it only took us 20k miles to burn the right front off the car (even with regular rotations).

After the Dunlops were done, I put Bridgestone RE-910s on it. :thumbup:

Granted, they are only T rated, but they stick like snot in all conditions, are very progressive approaching the limit, and are quiet as a mouse on dry pavement.

Good example: During our February trip to Vegas, We ran in to some snow and quite a bit of rain around Halloran Summit. Speeds were limited, but only due to the cars and SUVs ahead of us slip-sliding around. Our Altima was sure-footed as a mountain goat through the whole thing. I looked up in the mirror after we had passed all the "sliders", and couldn't see much due to the amount of water those Bridgestones were shedding in spray.

Give 'em a shot..You will probably be satisfied, if not downright happy with them. :D

manic

Winston Wolfe
08-01-04, 11:05 PM
I echo the sentiments of the Kumho Ecsta fans....

Great tire for the money, which is about 50% less than the "high priced" competition.

Sean O'Gorman
08-01-04, 11:10 PM
Falken Ziex ZE-512s :thumbup:

I use these on my MR2 and I know many Honda owners have had good luck with them as non-high performance tires. They handle rain and snow very well, barely ever make noise, and the ride is comfortable. $41/tire from edgeracing.com, $54/tire from Discount Tire Direct, but that includes free shipping.

B3RACER1a
08-02-04, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys! I managed to get the day off so I'll hit all the local places I havent gone yet. :thumbup:

B3RACER1a
08-02-04, 10:43 PM
Got some new Michelin XGT H4's on there today. I drove around to a few local places and didnt find the Falkens or Kumhos, so Michelin it is. So far, very happy.

thanks all.

nrc
08-02-04, 11:03 PM
You should have gone with Bridgestone Potenza RE950s. They're rounder.

RacinM3
08-03-04, 12:05 AM
I'd vote for the Michelins, Bridgestones, and Falkens, in that order. I guess I'm the first to say the Kumhos suck. I had a set that delaminated on the inside sidewall, on two tires. Once that happened I pulled the set off and mounted a set of Bridgestones. The Kumhos were only 1/2 used up but I wasn't going to take any chances with tire failure.

Maybe they've gotten better, but until I know for sure, you get what you pay for.

B3RACER1a
08-03-04, 12:43 AM
Round tires are good! :gomer:

Michelin has a $100 rebate thing going...50 at the store, 50 mail in. Whole set installed cost me 350. Anything is better than the Dunlop A2's....those things sucked so bad.

Now I just need to replace the Catalytic converter and it'll be like new.

chop456
08-03-04, 01:30 AM
I'll vouch for the suck factor of D60A2's.

I put some Yokohama Avid Touring on the wife's car and so far they're still black, round and quiet.

Hard Driver
08-07-04, 10:34 PM
I just put Bridgestone RE750's on my new Audi S4. I love them, and if you are not looking for snow capability, then I strongly reccomend them as ultra high performance, but stillwith a 340 treadwear. Of course you already bought tires (Non bridgestone :thumdown: )